PDA

View Full Version : Pics of our new Nano-reef

Lakeside518
03/25/2006, 08:21 PM
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lakes...de518/my_photos

Any thoughts and criticisms on Aquascaping?

The Macro algae has grown suprisingly fast. Being that i have not done the refugium mod yet i have let it go. Figure it has to be helping water conditions/ parameters

Temp: 81 deg
SG: 1.025
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
PH: 8.3 to 8.38

Stocking:

1- True perc clown
1- Goby firefish
20- Trochus snails
4- blue leg hermits

Corals:

Alvapora

&

4" dia of Zoo's 20-25+ polyps

Should i let the Macrocontinue to grow or trim it back. It wasn't bad before, now takes away from the display i think.

Glass could be cleaner i know. Sorry
Some sand build up on LR due to pump outlet set near surface for some surface agitation. I moved back down some towards the rock. Reduces current and sand bar effect.

Any suggestions or ideas?

jmccoya
03/25/2006, 08:55 PM
pictures not coming up for me!

Lakeside518
03/25/2006, 09:02 PM
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lakeside518/album?.dir=b4e6&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

How about now>?

nc2tarheels
03/25/2006, 11:55 PM
i think you need another rock would be the only thing as far as critique for aquascaping. JMO. Other then that, LOOKING GOOD! Do you have any hermits or snails? I don't notice any on the sand. Man, I wish my sand in my 55 would stay that white. LOL. Nice tank!!!

nc2tarheels
03/25/2006, 11:56 PM
nm, I just read where you have 20 snails. LOL, wow, they must blend in very well. :)

smy168
03/26/2006, 01:49 AM
it's clean, and as you buy corals they will come on rocks to fill out. very niice start.

kabal2
03/26/2006, 10:52 AM
really nice start, like nc2tarheels said i bit more of rock will be good, love the white sand

HartfordWhalers
03/26/2006, 01:25 PM
Nice start, it would help if you had more rock like everyone else said.

Lakeside518
03/26/2006, 03:07 PM
The Trochus snails in those pics were hiding mostly near the trim on the top of the tank that and crevis's in the rock.

Affraid to put more rock in.... For a 12 gal I have 20 lbs i would say already. trying to save some space, esp. for frags/ corals with rock attached.

Should i leave the Macro algae? You can see it on the face of the large rock. It has more then doubled in size!.. I do not have a Fuge so I have been leaving it for that purpose. Has defin gotta be helping the water parameters. All seems good so far. Cycled for 1 1/2 months with water from another tank and LR with lots of coraline reds and pinks-purples on it:)

I did loose a cleaner shrimp on a water change. SG and water temp was exact. But, when adding water stirred up white build up in tank filter sections. Looked like a sand storm.

Shrimp molted and was defin dead the next morning:(

WarEagleNR88
03/27/2006, 12:11 AM
nice white sand... its so bright it hurts my eyes through the pics.

Lakeside518
03/27/2006, 12:14 PM
Yeah thanks.. Lately as of the last 2 days I think i have a Cyano outbreak behind the main rocks. IF you look...

Is it due to lighting? or possibly a dead spot.. I think i will need to do a Mod to the pump outlet. Make it a dual outlet with modular pipe/ fittings? or get a Flo rotating deflector? Not sure that would help much. Prolly needs dual outlet.

Any opinions???

Hobster
03/27/2006, 01:38 PM
I think the amount of LR is just right. Here is recent article which will probably be deleted by a someone;) That explains that more is not always better.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_marine_depot_educational_newsletter_articles_borneman_aquascaping_the_reef_aquarium.asp?Car tId=

See if you can get some more flow going in the back and it should help with the cyano.

WarEagleNR88
03/27/2006, 06:06 PM
I've found a couple of hermits helps a lot with cyano... too many though and you will just get angry at them crawling all over everything. Those bright red ones are real docile.

If you don't want any hermits, just give it a week or so and see if it expands or goes away on its own. Could just be a new tank quirk.