PDA

View Full Version : Help Cyano!!

vishboy
03/25/2006, 07:06 PM
I have a 30g that is a year old. It already cycled and had a cyano bloom (which I expected) 6 months ago. My phosphates are 0.1, but I run Phosban every couple of weeks, and this started 2 months ago. I thought that it was just another bloom that would clear up in a month or so, but this is crazy! I have 2 small clowns (1 inch each) and a 1 1/2 inch purple firefish. I feed a moderate amount of food once a day (my poor firefish doesn't get a whole ton because of my clowns). There is a 1-2 inch sand bed in the tank, and I use 2 MJ 900 for circulation. I have a Prizm skimmer (I will be upgrading soon) that skims okay, but I have to tweak it a lot.

I f you need any more info, tell me.

Thanks,
Vishboy

bigfalcon36
03/25/2006, 07:20 PM
Do some water changes and set that skimmer to run a little wetter than normal. Also, reduce your feeding. Last thing would be to blast the cyano with a powerhead if it's in a small area.

vishboy
03/25/2006, 07:24 PM
It's not in a small area. It's covering everyhting in my tank. I am starting to do more frequent water changes. Would a Remora work better than a Prizm? That is what I have been looking at for a replacement. i am not blaming this on the skimmer, but there are deffinetely things in the watr column that it should be getting that are helping the cyano to spread.

Thanks

nc2tarheels
03/25/2006, 07:46 PM
i had cyano bad until i added an extra powerhead. I guess I didn't have enough water movement. All is good now!

vishboy
03/25/2006, 07:51 PM
The only thing is, I should have more than enough movement. Let's see, 230 gph x 2 = 460gph. 460/30= 15.3. So I have 15.3x flow in my tank. I would think that would be enough.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

kaserpick
03/25/2006, 10:37 PM
Go to www.marinedepot.com and look at the medication categorie on the left. Check out chemi-clean by Boyd I think. That stuffs worked well for me!

Thumbs up!
Kaserpick

nc2tarheels
03/25/2006, 10:40 PM
^that will only temporarily fix the problem. Chemicals will just make it disappear for a lil bit. It won't SOLVE the problem.

d_icemand
03/25/2006, 11:54 PM
i had that problem. The chemicals only slowed it but never cured the problem. I increased my water changes to 5 gallon a week and lessend the food amounts----just make sure they eat all of it in a couple of minutes. that seem to cure my problem.

supernareg
03/26/2006, 07:25 AM
chemi-clean is a BEAUTIFUL product, worked for me, only 16 bux shipped, and for about 2 months now, hasnt come back. i had cyano like 70% of my tank was covered in it. just remember to follow the directions. it says 48 hours, but after 48 i still had some so i let it sit another day, without any negative affects. so its all good. USE IT!. i tried water changes and eating changes, nothign worked. chemi-clean = great.

vishboy
03/26/2006, 12:24 PM
I would like to stay away from any kind of chemical, even if it is reef safe. I will increase water changes and see if I still have it covering everything in a week or so.

Thanks

spitefull
03/26/2006, 02:03 PM
hey Vishboy i had it so bad once i had mats of red and could not make it go away until one day i noticed my temperature swings were around 4 degrees i upped my heater and got it down to a 2 degree a day change and it all went away ??

fishkeeper00
03/26/2006, 02:38 PM
try siphoning it out with a tube when u do water changes should come right off the rocks. do it weekly some will come back but if u keep doing that it will go way.one more thing check your nitrates cause thats what it feeds on if u dont have a fuge then i would consider adding one.but if u stick wth weekly water changes for awhile it should go away.

vishboy
03/26/2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah, the fuge would probably help, but what I don't get is: what keeps the fuge from getting covered in this stuff also? The other algae would take care of the nitrates and phosphates eventually, but it would be a pain to clean a HOB fuge, right?

Thanks

fishkeeper00
03/26/2006, 03:48 PM
well for 1 the fuge has quite a bit of water movement in a small space and nitrates should be a tiny bit lower in there.not saying that it will not grow in there it will cause i have seen it. but it usally only grows on the macro in there. so u just pull it out and rinse it in some water i rinse mine when i do water changes just dip it in the water i'll be throwing out.

vishboy
03/26/2006, 04:59 PM
that's an idea. But I won't be getting a fuge for a while as well. So water changes are my best bet?

smy168
03/26/2006, 05:35 PM
I had a about 805 coverage in my 29 a few years ago, all I did was 10% water change every week for about 6 weeks, cut down fish and phyto feeding to once every 3 days I also sucked out whatever mat was present in the main display and increased my water movement for about 2 weeks during the water changes. All done, not a bit of relapse. The Chem stuff is ok, it makes your water a little yellow but I really don't htink it's a solid solution but more of a temporary fix.

Not sure about inverts that can help control cyano but they say ceriths do a good job as well as left handed hermits (beats me).

Good Luck