PDA

View Full Version : JBJ Vipers: User reviews

Newreeflady
03/25/2006, 04:40 PM
I read on nano-reef.com that these are out...

So, when you guys get them, please comment here. I am considering a 150 watter but would like to know if they seem well made, have good reflectors, etc.

I know a lot of you have pre-ordered, are your orders on the way?

Angela.

stewie24
03/28/2006, 12:14 AM
Here's a bump for ya. I'm wanting to hear reviews about these lights as well.
Stewie

mjdlonghorn
03/28/2006, 10:19 AM
Does anyone know if these lights can be placed over a nano cube without any kind of glass divider. I thought all MH lights had to be used over a glass top to keep the lamp dry and prevent evaporation. The pics they show on the jbj website show the lamp being used directly over the tank with an open top. Any comments?

ycrazyy
03/28/2006, 10:24 AM
mjdlonghorn: the lights have glass covering the bulb
I would love to hear some comments from people on this light as well. I am waiting for mine to come from PA that I pre-ordered back at the beginning of Feb for a custom nano I am building. Any comments please post! I will be sure to post my review when I get mine.

Newreeflady
03/28/2006, 12:24 PM
I keep checking PA's website and says out of stock, but nanocustoms has it in stock. What's up with that?

Can't wait to hear how it works!

-A

ycrazyy
03/28/2006, 01:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7059865#post7059865 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Newreeflady
I keep checking PA's website and says out of stock, but nanocustoms has it in stock. What's up with that?

Can't wait to hear how it works!

-A Jason at PA told me they are expecting them in any day (as I inquired about mine since I saw the same thing). So I would just keep checking or just pre-order it from them.

gobygoby
03/28/2006, 01:47 PM
those are very cool....to bad they dont have a 250 watt version

DragonFish
03/28/2006, 03:50 PM
I have one on the way to my house right now. I just ordered it from Blue Zoo Aquatics and it shipped today. Right now, they are the cheapest too, at $199.95 with free shipping. I'll post again as soon as I get the box!

Newreeflady
03/28/2006, 09:31 PM
I hate to keep two threads open on this, but I wanted to reply to Dragonfish here.

Actually, BlueZoo is NOT free shipping unless you order >$250 worth of stuff. Additionally, they charge tax where some other stores don't. I would have paid the tax if there were free shipping, but in this case, double-ouch! I may have someone else who wants to order with me, i've got to check ..

-A

DragonFish
03/28/2006, 11:04 PM
Sorry to disagree, but I emailed them about it first and it is free shipping for the Viper for a limited time. I know for a fact because I already bought it.

MRinCC
03/29/2006, 01:07 AM
got mine a few days ago hooking it up tomorow, $159 70WHQI at nanotuners, great service fast shipping

Newreeflady
03/29/2006, 01:33 AM
Dragon, maybe you have to call to get that deal? It does not appear to give me that when I go to check out at Blue Zoo.

MRinCC, hook it up already, damn, i'm dying over here:p lol!

-A

dystopian
03/29/2006, 10:07 AM
I got the 70watt Viper from nanocustoms too. It's supposed to arrive this Friday, I can't wait ^_^

Newreeflady
03/29/2006, 01:58 PM
Thank you, Dragon. You were right, for some reason the site was acting up, but I gave a call and they were able to walk me through it and give me a code to put in. I got a GREAT deal! And, even better, this is shipping from So. Cal to me here in Nor. Cal, so i'll be getting it very soon!

Sorry for doubting you, man. I thought maybe it was only on the 150 lamps or something, but he gave me the deal on the 70W I ordered!

:D :D :D

What lamps did you guys get? I am going to check out the stock 14k lamp because I don't want the tank too blue. I will post pictures as soon as it's up and running...

Thanks!
Angela.

DragonFish
03/29/2006, 02:05 PM
Glad to help! Mine should be here Monday, I got the 150w. I'm probably going to use the 14k, 20k is just a bit too blue for me.

MRinCC
03/29/2006, 08:42 PM
Got it set up today, a little work, I put it on a 10G tank , the wall of the tank seems kind of thin, but i think it will be allright. The balast is HUGE so if space is a concern think again. Not sure about the light its the 70W HQI, seems like my 2 18W 50/50 bulbs put out more light. watching the heat, but does not look like it will be a problem. Overall for the money $159 I guess its not a bad deal. But if it was not an issue i think i would go for a sunpod instead. pics attached:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/MRinCC/3-29-06051.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/MRinCC/3-29-06053.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/MRinCC/3-29-06052.jpg

stewie24
03/29/2006, 10:53 PM
MRinCC,
how's the shimmer lines on it? and how's the reflector look?
Stewie

Newreeflady
03/29/2006, 11:00 PM
MRinCC, what is the grating over your tank? Do you think it would help to remove that?

Update, I ordered today from Blue Zoo Aquatics and my unit has ALREADY SHIPPED and will be here on FRIDAY!!

YAY!
-A

stewie24
03/29/2006, 11:54 PM
Guys n Gals,
Keep in mind it takes MH bulbs a period of time to burn in to achieve their full brightness. (keep that in mind before plugging it in and running to your comp to tell us how bad/good it is! lol)

Stewie

MRinCC
03/30/2006, 12:34 AM
shimmer lines ok , reflector is small but adequate for this light i suppose, although i am no expert. , newreeflady, no it is eggcrate and its staying a have a cat that would be in it otherwise.

ycrazyy
03/30/2006, 09:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7072752#post7072752 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MRinCC
shimmer lines ok , reflector is small but adequate for this light i suppose, although i am no expert. , newreeflady, no it is eggcrate and its staying a have a cat that would be in it otherwise. But I heard cats and gobies make great symbiotic relationships... cat eats goby, cat is happy... :)

ReefWifey
03/30/2006, 03:01 PM
Im thinking about buying one of these too, was kinda waiting to see how people responded. I don't like having the open top tank though, and the egg crate looks like a great idea! I too have a cat that may drink from it, but he's actually the least of my worries. Worse would be my 3 year old who would be inclined to feed the fish pizza, or toss in matchbox car for the fish to play with. :strooper:

Newreeflady
03/30/2006, 06:27 PM
MRinCC, I was just asking because it may diffuse some light, didn't know if that may be part of the dimness? I can see your worries with a cat, I wouldn't chance that, either.

The most of my worries would be jumpy fish or shrimp, so i'll stock accordingly.

-A

stewie24
03/31/2006, 11:56 AM
Well, its friday.. that means someone should be posting a review tonight (newreeflady).. or hopefully..
I need to get a new light and really want some reviews first (either buying that or a modded orbit that houses a 70 watt bulb).

Stewie

dystopian
03/31/2006, 07:42 PM
Got my Viper lamp literally an hour and a half ago and just finished setting it up. I know alotta people are waiting for reviews, so here's my INITIAL impressions:

Starting with the ballast, the ballast box is HUGE, slightly bigger than the 250 watt EVC DE Electronic ballast I have, although this is mainly in part due to the larger housing box. It seems like the actual ballast is only in the bottom half of the box, the top half left open with vent slits for circulation. In addition, the ballast box comes houses a fuse and a nice power switch. It's definitely made in China, the box says "HuaQuan Electrical Lighting Co, LTD". I googled the company and it doesn't seem like they manufacture cheap products, been in business for 20+ years and have a pretty decent website. Time will only tell.

The lighting fixture I purchased houses a 14k 70w DE MH bulb. The reflector is pretty poor, it's just one flat reflector behind the bulb, no parabolic, etc, although honestly I wouldn't expect an incredible reflector from such a small enclosure.

Mounting was pretty simple, two simple knobs that you tighten in. Took all of five minutes to mount on my rimless tank. My only complaint, however, was the spacer you put between the mount and the tank. It's a separate piece from the actual fixture, so you have to kinda hold it in place as you're tightening one of the knobs. Once in, however, the mount definitely stays in place. No wiggling of any kind.

Here's the only part I don't like about the fixture. The neck. The neckpieces are made of softer plastic, I'm guessing to keep heat from transferring down the unit, but as a result, the fixture is kinda wobbly sideways. It's not wobbly to the point where it'll tip over by itself, but I can see the neckpiece possibly breaking if you were to smack into the lamp head hard. Vertically, forwards and backwards, the lamp is superstable. You shouldn't be touching a metal halide lamp anyways, so I don't see the problem with the wobblyness. Adjustment is supereasy, just turn the knobs to tighten the neck after you've adjusted it to the correct position. As to concerns that this fixture may fall into your tank, let me alleviate them by saying that, as long as your mounting screws are all tightened properly(only need to hand-tighten), there is NO WAY I can see the fixture dropping forwards into your tank. Even with a hard push forwards on the lamp, I see the mount breaking your glass tank before it falls in.

Performance-wise, I love it. The color on the 14k bulb is awesome, and I get shimmer lines galore. I have it on a 5 gallon open top tank right now and, as expected of metal halide lighting, it did heat up my tank upon my initial setup of ~6" over the water line. 5 minutes of adjusting and I have it sitting at nearly its max height, ~12" over the water line, and the temperature is already dropping down. I won't even bother mentioning the light output, since all metal halides are dimmer during their "break-in period". I'd have to wait a week or two until I can properly give an evaluation of its light output.

Packaging is decent, this is the first JBJ product I've purchased and it looks like a packaged Viper lamp should be able to survive anything short of crushing the box itself.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with purchasing one of these Vipers. The small size and 70watt MH option makes it PERFECT for placing over a nanotank that's less than 20" long. I've considered both the SunPod and Coralife Aqualight, but the SunPod doesn't have anything smaller than 20", and the Aqualight doesn't have a 70w version(150w would BOIL a 5 gallon tank). I've also considered retrofitting a desklamp, but I can't seem to find a good desklamp that can fit a retro. The Viper saved me the trouble of purchasing a retrofit anyways.

Stewie, I have an CUSA Orbit and the fans are LOUD. I'd read this issue with many other CUSA lighting products as well. Something to keep in mind if you plan on purchasing the modded Orbit.

Hope this helps. If you've got questions, please feel free to ask away.

Newreeflady
04/01/2006, 05:31 PM
dystopian, thanks for your review. I purchased the same setup as you, but UPS seems to have screwed up and rescheduled delivery is for Monday. My tank is a 12g, so i'm guessing I will probably be able to put it a little closer to the water line. I will definitely do my own review when I get it and after the burn-in period.

:)
Angela

stewie24
04/01/2006, 09:24 PM
Dystopian,
Thanks for the very useful review. Granted you light is over a 5 gallon tank, but I would assume the lighting would be fine over a 10 gallon tank. (not poor lighting after the break in periood)..
Thanks for the input about the cusa's sunpod's fans being loud. Its actually a modded orbit w/ a hqi 70 watt bulb in it. I've owned the orbit, and the fan noise didn't bother me. I think since the color of the bulb looks somewhat blue, I think i'll go with the viper!
Stewie

stewie24
04/03/2006, 03:28 PM
Here's a bump to the top. Still awaiting more reviews so I know if I should buy this light.
Anyone have any other input?
Stewie

DragonFish
04/03/2006, 03:29 PM
My 150W is sitting on my doorstep. Expect a review tonight :)

stewie24
04/03/2006, 09:07 PM
Nice dragon..
Too bad it isn't a review for the 70 watt! Come on people! There's gotta be some other people who can post some reviews of the 70 watt! I have money burning a hole in my wallet wanting to buy this fixture, but want to make sure it is a decent one before I buy!

Stewie

Newreeflady
04/03/2006, 10:16 PM
Dude, buy it! It is an awesome lamp.

Review:

Ok, I purchased at Blue Zoo Aquatics, they were very helpful on the phone, I got an awesome deal, and they shipped it the same day I ordered it! Thumbs up for BZA!

Now, on to the review.

Out of the box, this thing is pretty plug and play. Tighten a few things, and add the clamp on it, remove the sticker and it's pretty ready to go. The instructions suck. Ignore them and go with your instincts, lol!

So, structurally, this thing seems pretty sound. The reflector looks like it'll last, but we'll see. I like that the UV sheild cannot fall out the way it is placed in. The joints will not move unless you loosen them. The clamp style is great because you can adjust the lamp at 3 points, so you can get a position that will not blind you and will direct the light where you want. And, best thing with the clamp on is that you can adjust the height of the lamp to acclimate new corals or to alleviate any heat issues.

The lamp: I got my 70W fixture with the stock 14k lamp. This lamp is a tad blue for my taste, but I think it will whiten up a bit as it burns in. Overall, I like the color and the shimmer lines are, as with all halide, just beautiful. This amount of light is perfect for the 12g nanocube, imo. It is very bright, illuminating the whole tank, but doesn't have a crazy kill your eyes to look at glare.

All in all, I am very impressed and I am glad I went this route. It saved me time and money to use the clamp on instead of modifying the hood and running 4-5 fans.

So, this product has my thumbs up! The ballast box doesn't bother me (it's hiding behind my couch.) It is probably about 15" x 6" x 6" (maybe 16 x 7 x 7) I am not going to get up an measure it, i'm too busy enjoying how gorgeous my tank is:D

Pictures to follow ...

Angela

Newreeflady
04/03/2006, 11:14 PM
Ok, my first try with posting from photobucket.. hope it works, bear with me...

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/chemdork1/12gapr032006no4.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/chemdork1/12gapr032006no3.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/chemdork1/12gapr032006no2.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/chemdork1/12gapr032006no2.jpg

:)

I think the lamp is already starting to brighten from its originally blue hue. It is turning whiter with hint of blue... just what I wanted:D

Angela

Newreeflady
04/03/2006, 11:16 PM
Not sure why they are so large... is it just me, or are these pretty big? (I don't run my computer at high res, so maybe it's just me.)

-A

ReefWifey
04/04/2006, 08:12 AM
The first two pics are large (but fit on my screen, I run at pretty small res), and the second two pictures are small.

Thanks for the review, it looks beautiful. My bday is coming up and I'm deciding which one I want hubby to buy me. I just don't know if I like the open top, but I'll agree its more cost effective than moding the hood and then having heat issues. I may try eggcrate like that one dude had has, but I wonder if it will defray the light any?

A - You're tank looks great!

DragonFish
04/04/2006, 08:53 AM
I got my 150W last night and had a while to play around with it. I'm using it on an Oceanic cube tank. The first thing I found is that these are NOT designed to fit on the trim of an Oceanic tank. The trim is wider than an average tank and the included spacer is too thick to fit nicely. Secondly, the clamp uses two screws on the back to clamp down on the tank. On the Oceanic tank the screws hit the plastic trim which is not really very sturdy. I did finally get it to fit with some effort, however after a couple hours I checked the two screws and they were loose! I think they just compress the plastic trim and it simply isn't strong enough to support that. I tightened up the screws some more and it still never really clamped down well. This morning it felt like it might actually fall in so I took it off. When I get home I'll spend some more time getting it to fit well, and I'm going to email JBJ and see if it was ever tested on an Oceanic tank. The second issue is known to JBJ and they are fixing it. The knob closest to the lamp head isn't heat resistant enough so when it heats up it looses grip and the lamp head swings down. I only ran my light for a few hours last night and that was enough for it to fall. Luckily I had the rest of the arm high enough that nothing touched the water. I already have the replacement metal knob on the way to my house. If you get the 150W version, don't take this lightly! This flaw could easily drop your lamp in the water and I don't want to think about what would happen. Now on to the light itself. The color of my light is actually a very crisp white, its not very blue at all. As I only ran the light for a couple hours we will have to see how the color changes as the lamp burns in. One thing is for sure, this sucker is bright! It easily puts my 175W SE to shame. I'll post some pics tonight, I didn't have much time last night. I'll also let you know what JBJ says about the clamp, I think I'm going to have to cut the trim on the back so it can clamp right on the glass. Luckily, there is nothing in the tank right now but water so it won't be too much of a problem.

ycrazyy
04/04/2006, 09:33 AM
DragonFish, I have a 150w version on the way to my house as we speak. Who did you contact @ JBJ to get the new knob sent to you? I'd rather get this sent out ASAP from them so that I don't have to worry about (insert freak electrical accident here) happening while I'm not home. Thanks!

DragonFish
04/04/2006, 09:47 AM
I actually talked to the vendor I bought it from. I got mine from Blue Zoo Aquatics and they told me I'd have the new knob by the end of the week, if not sooner.

Newreeflady
04/04/2006, 11:14 AM
Dragonfish, sorry to hear that. I knew of the 150w problem, but it isn't a prob on the 70w.

As far as mounting, I was thinking it may be a problem on tanks with different trim. It actually fits and holds very securely on the JBJ trim, it does not even touch the glass (thankfully!) After all the cracking issues, i'd really not want two points pressing on the glass directly anyhow (of course, there are screw covers, but still.) It is definitely made for the NC, but I think that with some modification it can probably fit securely on any little tank (unless it is an acrylic with very thick trim.)

Reefwifey, I think on the 12g you would be happy with the 70w lamp. Whether or not you like the open top I would leave that to you do decide. A lot of fish stores have similar open top displays, maybe you would want to go take a look. As far as the grating, it would certainly diffuse the light a bit, but if it is clear it won't be too bad, just not AS intense (anything between the lamp and the water will diffuse the light, including surface film if you're not set up to skim the top of the water.) Just make sure it won't melt. I don't personally like the look of the grating, but to each their own. If I were going to do that, i'd probably first mod the hood or build a canopy of sorts.

Hey, and thanks:)

Angela

Newreeflady
04/04/2006, 05:00 PM
So, I was just messing with the lamp to adjust the height and the top nob (nearest the lamp) came loose a little. I was able to grab a nearby dust rag and hold it in place to retighten it. It seems that it is not just the 150W lamp that they are replacing nobs on, also the 70W lamp.

Do not despair: I am told by Blue Zoo Aquatics that ALL NEW LAMPS are shipping out with the CORRECT NOB! My new nob will be here soon. For now, if you have one, after the lamp has been on enough to heat up, carefully tighten the nob on the lamp joint. This should tighten it enough so that you only have to do it once.

I have lifted the lamp up to about 9" off the top of the tank after seeing a temperature rise from 79.1 to 79.5 degrees in 2 hours. After just 15 minutes, the temperature has decreased back to 79.2 degrees. I may try to lower it an inch and see what happens. My goal is to not heat the tank up at all from it's running temp (the temperature the visi-therm heater is set to.) Afterall, the ocean's temperature is fairly stable over the course of 24hrs, i'm trying to mimic that:)

Angela.

stewie24
04/04/2006, 10:02 PM
I think the reviews have proved enough to do me in about $165.00... I'll be ordering this fairly soon as my new tank will be setup very soon! Can't wait! (10 display w/ a 20 long sump/fuge). Basically i'll be transferring the contents of my 10 gallon tank to another 10 that I drilled. Watch for the post in this forum. (and a review of the new jbj viper light!)

Stewie

Ocnreef
04/06/2006, 06:41 AM
We took the plunge also and have the 150w on its way for our 24g NC.

jfw60
04/06/2006, 08:59 AM
o what is the consensus is this worth the $ 250 I heard they cost or is like the fission skimmer a great little tool to collect dust with?

DragonFish
04/06/2006, 09:03 AM
Maybe not $250, but they are worth $200 which is what they cost! I love mine (or I will as soon as I get my new knob)

Hobster
04/06/2006, 11:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7102962#post7102962 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DragonFish
My 150W is sitting on my doorstep. Expect a review tonight :)

I would be interested in a review of the 150W.:)

DragonFish
04/06/2006, 12:12 PM
I'll do a full review after I get my knob and get at least 100 hours of burn time on the bulb.

Texsun
04/06/2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the reviews. I just ordered the 70w version for my 12g nano. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow and will post a review.

ycrazyy
04/06/2006, 01:35 PM
My 150w is sitting at with the doorman in my building. Hopefully I will have time to set it up tonight on my 24g NC (even though that is not the tank it is meant for, but a good temporary home).

On another note, I was told by Jason @ PA that the faulty knob on the 150w was only on a few of the first lamps that were shipped mainly to the West Coast sellers.

Kinetic
04/06/2006, 02:22 PM
Just ordered the 70watt for my 5g tank. After seeing Newreeflady's tank I knew I had to get one!

yes, this is for a 5g =P

Newreeflady
04/06/2006, 05:10 PM
haha! Can't wait to see it on the 5g, Art! :p

-A

Kinetic
04/06/2006, 05:30 PM
definately =)

I gotta make a stand for it though to clip on. Saving some space on my rear compartments =P

will document when it comes in. I also got it from blue zoo!

slowhand383
04/07/2006, 08:36 PM
Mine arrived thursday. I got the 150watt for my 12gal and good God is it bright. Its only been running for an hour but I think its gonna work out pretty good. Before with the hood on, my tank ran at about 84F. To combat the heat of the 150 watts I placed a desk fan blowing on the top of the water. Since the viper has been on the tank, the temp has already dropped to 80. I think this lamp is great. I've been trying for ever to drop the temp in my nano and all I needed to do was remove the hood and triple my wattage. I couldnt ask for anything more. It clamps on perfectly to the back of the JBJ I have, drops tank temp, and it looks astheticly pleasing. Mine came with the metal knob already attached. As far as colour goes, nanocustoms had the option to upgrade to a Phoenix 14k so I went for it. The colour is beautiful!! Already the corols glow more than with the stock lights, I have shimmer lines now, and the blue hue is perfect for my taste. I cant wait for the bulb to burn in. The only down fall I can think of is how much brighter my whole room is now. I dont know how bright the 70w is but for the 150 you need sunglasses.

Newreeflady
04/08/2006, 12:16 AM
I thought that would be the case with the 150w. That's kind of why I opted for the 70w because I didn't want it to be too bright. The 70w is pretty bright, but you definitely don't need sunglasses for it;)

What is the stock bulb, btw (that's what i've got.) I've heard good things about the Phoenix, the stock bulb is also nice:)

The shimmer lines are truly stunning with halide, it sure is a difference from tube light.

-A

DragonFish
04/08/2006, 09:40 AM
The stock bulb is also a 14K.

DragonFish
04/08/2006, 09:46 AM
Here's the 150W over my 33 Oceanic cube. Its still not fully burned in but I imagine the color is pretty close.

http://eclipsereef.homestead.com/files/viperfar.jpg

Newreeflady
04/08/2006, 11:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7136470#post7136470 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DragonFish
The stock bulb is also a 14K.

Yes, I know that. I meant the brand, is is jbj?

thx,
-A

DragonFish
04/08/2006, 11:57 AM
As far as I know JBJ just re-brands other bulbs, probably chinese.

slowhand383
04/08/2006, 06:13 PM
So far the Phoenix is pretty blue for only 2 days running. The me the JBJ 14k seems too white for my taste. If your in to the blue look as I am then go with the Phoenix. The room was pretty bright from the 150watt but then it dawned on me to just adjust the light. I did that and now its not that bad at all. I had it really high up and its closer now. I love this light!! I came home from work today and the temp was at 78F, five degrees cooler than its ever been.

Newreeflady
04/09/2006, 12:07 AM
I already have the lamp, i'm not into the blue look really, I actually LOVE the color of the stock bulb. It has just a little bit of blue, but is still very bright.... I was just curious what brand it was so I could purchase the next the same.

-A

Ocnreef
04/10/2006, 10:37 AM
our 150w comes tomorrow (tuesday 4/11).......I'll post some photos this weekend.

Kinetic
04/10/2006, 12:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7140959#post7140959 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Newreeflady
I already have the lamp, i'm not into the blue look really, I actually LOVE the color of the stock bulb. It has just a little bit of blue, but is still very bright.... I was just curious what brand it was so I could purchase the next the same.

-A

if you email support@jbjlighting.com they will be very helpful. they usually respond within a couple hours during business times =)

Ocnreef
04/13/2006, 06:13 AM
Well, I thought I would have some comments and review for our new JBJ Viper 150w but the bulb was broken when I openned the package. So now I'm in the waiting mode again..........more to come at a later date.

Texsun
04/13/2006, 11:45 AM
Finally picked up my 70w JBJ viper the other day and mounted it on top of my 12g Uniquarium. Obviously, it's pretty simple to put together and install. Fired up right away and the stock bulb coloring is perfect, IMO. I'm slowly acclimating my corals starting at 5hrs for a couple of days and already notice the corals are starting to open up more. I'd give the viper an enthusiastic recommendation so far.

stewie24
04/13/2006, 08:44 PM
Texsun,
whats your input on the shimmer lines (compared to having none at all using your other fixture i'm assuming?)
What about your tank temps, etc?
Anything else you'd like to add? i'm thinking about ordering one here within the next few days.
Thanks
Stewie

Texsun
04/13/2006, 09:00 PM
Shimmer lines are great! I was running PCs and there is no comparison.

Going hoodless and with the viper I actually had to turn up the heater. Still fiddling with the setting so that temps stay stable when the light is off.

I purchase from Blue Zoo and the guy was kind enough to swap out the recalled knob without me even asking.

stewie24
04/13/2006, 09:27 PM
Nice thats what i wanted to hear. I guess i'll order me one of these tomorrow!
Thanks
Stewie

MRinCC
04/14/2006, 09:08 AM
Well my 70W has been up and running for 2 weeks, waiting for the bulb to burn in, instead it decided to burn out...so now i am waiting for a replacement bulb(stock bulb)

stewie24
04/14/2006, 12:12 PM
Ouch thats not good mrincc..
Perhaps the dimness of the bulb (as you had stated when you first got it) was related to a faulty bulb from the start.
Stewie

hopkisag1
04/14/2006, 09:58 PM
I just ordered a 150 from blue zoo usa and they still have the free shipping deal.

EmasCterE
04/15/2006, 01:33 AM
Hi guys,

I have a 12G aquapod. Would you recommend the 70W or the 150W? The price difference is minimal so I was thinking of going for the 150W but now I worry it may be too bright since it will be sitting on my office desk.

Thanks!

stewie24
04/15/2006, 01:55 AM
EmasCterE,
Are you plannin on going w/ most/all sps or mixed? if mixed, i'd go with the 70 watt just to be on the safe side.. If you're going sps/mostly sps, then i'd go with the 150.
Best of luck.
Stewie

Texsun
04/15/2006, 09:54 AM
The 70w should be more than enough on a 12g, especially considering that it will be on your desk!

Crawling68
04/15/2006, 05:12 PM
How long are the cords for it? Any body have a pic of how big the ballast is in comparison to a tank?

DragonFish
04/15/2006, 09:57 PM
The cords are pleanty long enough, my tank is pretty tall and there is cord to spare. The ballast, I'd guess is 5" x 5" x 12" and very heavy. One thing I noticed is that the switch is really hard to press. Timers are my friend.

jimsflies
04/17/2006, 02:48 PM
I just told my LFS to order me a 150 for a 24NC.

One question I have for those of you who have these already, it seems like from your pictures there is a lot of light spilling over onto the walls around your tank. Is there as much as it looks like in the photos or maybe the pictures where taken before you fully adjusted the angle?

ycrazyy
04/17/2006, 08:38 PM
Well I was really hoping to post my opinion on this light tonight, but after a series of problems, I am unable to do so. I originally bought this light for a 20g starphire tank I am building. But a little DIY this weekend (trying to install a 70w MH in the hood of my 24g DX and melting the splash guard) I was forced to pop this puppy on my tank while waiting for my tempered glass to fix the splash guard.

When I finally received my light from PA I was very excited. I opened it up, checked it out, but silly me never tested it. The bulb was "floating" around inside the lamp portion, which seemed odd to me. Tonight when I went to put it in and fire it up, the lamp just won't fire. So after this silly long story, no review from me until my new bulb arrives (hopefully before my tempered glass!)

DragonFish
04/18/2006, 08:59 AM
In my pic I had the light kind of high up, and if you notice the tank isn't all the way filled with water yet. I did lower it a bit and that helped some. Once I get my live rock in the water level will be normal and that should help too. That is, if I ever actually get any live rock.

stewie24
04/18/2006, 09:41 PM
Well, I just ordered the 70 watt model from premium aquatics (was going to order from blue zoo since they have free shipping) but since i'm impatient, I'll have the light on friday pending PA ships it out tomorrow.
I'll be sure to post some pics and a review then.
Stewie

dystopian
04/18/2006, 10:58 PM
Just wanted to update everyone on the status of my JBJ(been on vacation). My bulb burned out the day before I was leaving for vacation(bulb was about 7 days old) so I contacted nanocustoms, who then referred me over to his contact over at JBJ. Within a day, I got a reply saying they'd send me over a new bulb right away. Took over a week to arrive(just arrived today actually) but I'm glad everything works again! A minor setback, but great customer service from both nanocustoms and JBJ ^_^

Now to start breaking in a new bulb again...

wkl01
04/18/2006, 11:29 PM
Just got the Viper this weekend. Agree the arm does seem wobbly but it appears to hold the light fine. Still burning in. However, anyone else having a problem with it not starting up? I can see it trying to light but it doesn't seem to always get enough juice to fire. After trying a couple of times it will light. Trying to figure out is it the switch or the ballast or the bulb? If its a switch issues when I put it on a timer it won't matter. Any ideas?

Newreeflady
04/19/2006, 11:41 AM
wkl01, I have had no problems with mine starting on the first try. I have it running through a timer with no problems.

Things that could affect it are if it were already running and you are restarting it (if the bulb is hot.) If it keeps giving you trouble i'd make a call on it.

Best,
-A

DragonFish
04/19/2006, 11:43 AM
JBJ says you have to wait at least a half hour after shutting it off before you can start it back up again.

EricBrian
04/19/2006, 09:31 PM
I just ordered a 70W one from Blue Zoo. Free shipping! :)

I wonder how long it takes for it arrive?

mike batptiste
04/19/2006, 10:06 PM
ok guys and gals i want to try one of these lites but witch do i pick a 70 or 150 i have a aqua pod 24 and want alot of lite im leaning tward the 150 let me know what you think

jimsflies
04/19/2006, 10:25 PM
Although I don't have mine yet, I like the 150 size because of the bulb selection that is available and it gives a nice bump in intensity over what you're used to with the pc's. But ultimately it depends on what you want to keep.

wkl01
04/20/2006, 02:06 AM
I'm trying to start it cold. If worked great at first so I don't know if it's the bulb or ballast.

Ocnreef
04/20/2006, 06:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7168448#post7168448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ocnreef
Well, I thought I would have some comments and review for our new JBJ Viper 150w but the bulb was broken when I openned the package. So now I'm in the waiting mode again..........more to come at a later date.

The replacement bulb came in and the 150w is looking great on our 24g NC. I'm glad I went with the 150w instead of the 70w for this tank. The color is great and I love the shimmer. Now for the burn in and to acclimate the current residents to the new light. I'll get some pictures posted this weekend.

stewie24
04/20/2006, 09:51 AM
I'll be getting my fixture in the mail tomorrow.
For the burn in - (takes around 100 hrs i guess?) - Would it be ok just to turn the thing on and leave it run for 24 hrs a day (not over my tank of course) for friday saturday and sunday? That would be 72 of the approx 100 hrs needed. The rest of the time could be used by acclimating my corals.
Anything wrong in doing it this way? Or should I just throw it on my tank as soon as i get it and start the burn in / acclimation at the same time?
Thanks
Stewie

Texsun
04/20/2006, 11:41 AM
That's what I'm doing - do the acclimation and burn-in at the same time. No sense doing them separately.

stewie24
04/20/2006, 01:12 PM
thanks texsun, thats what i'll do then.
Stewie

ycrazyy
04/20/2006, 04:46 PM
Well PA came through big time and I got my replacement bulb today. Popped it in and it fired up right away (thanks to Jay @ PA!). The 150w over my 24g looks great! Obviously have to wait for burn in, but after only a little amount of time my corals seem happy. I don't know how thrilled I am about the color of the bulb, but then again I don't think this is the "JBJ" bulb as this replacement doesn't have any markings. The light seems to sit very well on the tank and is quite sturdy IMO. I was worried at first, but all seems ok now after a little tugging to make sure. Overall I am quite happy with it, the true test will come next week when it goes over my custom starphire 20g tank.

flameangel88
04/20/2006, 04:49 PM
Just want to ask before getting the 24g tank with this light--are you nervous about putting your hand in the tank with this light on the tank?

Kinetic
04/21/2006, 03:12 AM
5 gallon Complete Custom Tank:

(70watt 14K k2viper)

Before:
http://i.xkinetic.net/4-06/22nd_k2viper/before.jpg

After:
http://i.xkinetic.net/4-06/22nd_k2viper/after.jpg

more pix of it at different angles:

http://i.xkinetic.net/4-06/22nd_k2viper/farfront.jpg

http://i.xkinetic.net/4-06/22nd_k2viper/sideshot.jpg

http://i.xkinetic.net/4-06/22nd_k2viper/sideshot2.jpg

top:
http://i.xkinetic.net/4-06/22nd_k2viper/topshot.jpg

Ocnreef
04/21/2006, 06:47 AM
Koden.........I would try to angle the light a little more up so that its refelecting more into the tank and not on the back wall. Or it could be from the camera angle. By the way nice looking tank.

hopkisag1
04/21/2006, 08:14 AM
PC lighting looks brighter. How about in person?

stewie24
04/21/2006, 10:55 AM
I think he just has it waaay to high above his tank.
I got mine delivered about an hour ago, got it set up, and right now its sitting about 8-9 inches off the surface of my water level and its almost as bright at my 96 watt powerquad i was using. Once i lower it down a few more inches, i know it will be alot brighter.
I know the bulbs has to "burn in", but mine seems to have a real white color with a large tint of blue to it. Perfect color, IMO.
A review and pics will follow sometime later today.
Stewie

Jpharr
04/21/2006, 11:23 AM
I just have few questions for all of you who are now using these lights. How does evap compare to what it did before? Second, has anyone used a PAR or Lux meter to compare the true difference in MH vs PC? I know that PC's will diffuse better, and thus look brighter to the human eye, but the actual intensity is greater with MH's. Thanks for your comments.

stewie24
04/21/2006, 11:37 AM
Well, since i've only had my fixture for about an hour and half now, I really can't answer your questions, but I will tell you what I know.
On my tank I can't have it centered because of my hob filter (carbon, chemipure, etc). I will be moving this to another 10 gallon tank w/ no hob filter. As far as the intensity of the light - its bright man. I have 2x 175 watt se's over my 55 gallon, and i can look at them for a few seconds. I look at this bulb for about 1/2 second and i'm seeing white spots when i blink lol.
Since the light is not centered, there is a dim spot on the left side of my tank. I believe this is due to 2 thigns:
1. The light being off centered
2. Since i'm going to acclimate my corals by lowering it about an inch a week, i belive it is just up too high right now to make the whole tank REALLY bright.
As far as evap goes: I would evap about 2 gallons a week on using the powerquad. I will have to test this and see how it goes.
I don't have a par or lux meter, but i will tell you that when i used the powerquad i had a massive colony of neon green zoos. They would never ALL be out at any given time. Within 10 mins of turning on the mh lights, ALL the zoos are out and look real great.

One thing I did notice however, is the heat from the fixture. When touching the top of the head, you definitely have some heat there.. Its actually so hot that you can leave your hand on it for about 2 or 3 seconds and have to remove it because of the heat. I believe jbj should have installed a small fan to remove the heat from the top of the fixture. I know once my 6 month (STUPID if you ask me) warranty is up, i'll be installing a small fan at the top of the fixture to remove excess heat.
Also, some other people have complained about the lack of or not good shimmer lines. I believe they didn't have much surface disruption, as my shimmer lines are great.

If you need anything else answered, let me know, and i'll try and do my best.
Stewie

Kinetic
04/21/2006, 11:48 AM
For some reason angling it that way made everything a bit brighter, since the light is hitting the "front side" of the corals... though I've already adjusted it.

Also it is SUPER high up, I didn't want to freak my zoanthids out right away.

The kelvin rating (14K) is definately different than my PC setup, looooks really good though =) I've moved it down so I'll take pictures tonight and post them again. I have 1 gallon of RO/DI water hooked up to an ATO so I don't need to worry about evap.

This tank is only 9" high btw ;) and I'm only keeping zoanthids and cloves in there at the moment (with a xenia of course).

Here are pics with my PC's, i'll take some tonight with my viper and do a comparo:

Here's a shrimp on zoanthids with my PC lights:
http://i.xkinetic.net/4-06/7th_macroshrimp/shrimp_pinkzoo.jpg

Some real bright pink zoos:
http://i.xkinetic.net/4-06/6th_macrofeisol/pink_muffin_zoo.jpg

not sure what these are called:
http://i.xkinetic.net/3-06/26th/DSC_0011.jpg

Fire and ice:
http://i.xkinetic.net/3-06/22nd/fireandice.jpg

FTS with PCs:
http://i.xkinetic.net/3-06/26th/pico_fts.jpg

stewie24
04/21/2006, 12:11 PM
WOW dude, those are some intense pics. What kind of camera are you using?

Stewie

Kinetic
04/21/2006, 12:16 PM
nikon d70
those were taken with my 105mm F/2.8 Sigma Macro lens.

DragonFish
04/21/2006, 12:18 PM
LOL koden I just read your thread on NR, I thought you weren't getting halides for this tank?

flameangel88
04/21/2006, 01:30 PM
Wow! Great pictures. I've the D50 and it's pretty close to the D70 so it must be me because my pixs doesn't come close to yours. Too poor now to buy a macro lens after buying all the various eqipment for the tank.

Keep the pictures coming when you have time. Thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7220678#post7220678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by koden
nikon d70
those were taken with my 105mm F/2.8 Sigma Macro lens.

Kinetic
04/21/2006, 01:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7220694#post7220694 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DragonFish
LOL koden I just read your thread on NR, I thought you weren't getting halides for this tank?

bah... you know how it goes. =) you say one thing, then you look at the great price you found... next thing you know you've just done exactly what you said you wouldn't =P i sort of persuaded myself it'd be better.

plus it gives the tank a much better "open top" look now. I like it a lot better. The color of the bulb is so nice too.

one of the things that sold me is when I went over to NewReefLady's apartment and saw her setup on the 12g NC, I was like, woah, I need this for my tank too =)

it's a big light on a dinky tank, i hope things are happy with it.

btw, mine was $136 shipped new ;)

Rhinecanthus
04/21/2006, 03:12 PM
Well, after reading this and looking at the lights I think I am going to go with the 150w Viper with a 14K Phoenix upgrade from NR.com

Would the 70w be better for me? Tank is zoos, softies and a BTA.

Can anyone talk me out of it or is this a good idea?

I like the fact that the heat wont be an issue...I also like the fact that I can now use the ballasts and bulbs from my hood for something else!

Thanks!

Rhinecanthus
04/21/2006, 03:32 PM
Also, could someone give me the dimensions of the clip that goes inside the tank? My nanocube is drilled with a bulkhead and now that I look Im not sure it will fit.

Rhinecanthus
04/21/2006, 03:35 PM
Sorry again! I guess my question is...how far down into the tank does the front lip project? My bulkhead is drilled about an inch below the rim in the back chamber.

Thanks! :)

Kinetic
04/21/2006, 04:21 PM
it goes a further than an inch. about 2 inches down I believe.

Rhinecanthus
04/21/2006, 06:26 PM
:(

Thanks Koden!

(off to search the web for another solution!)

Kinetic
04/24/2006, 01:58 AM
goodluck! try looking at one of those coralife spot light pendants that hangs from the ceiling. That might be better =)

Kinetic
04/25/2006, 01:13 AM
My JBJ is SUPER dim. It's so dim that all my zoos have started to stretch like crazy.

This is about 1/3 the brightness as my 36watt PC fixture, and about 1/8th the brightness of my 70watt HQI setup on my other tank. This is sad. It's been a week now.

I also emailed jbj but somehow they're not as quick to respond anymore.

Anyone else have this problem and get it fixed?

wkl01
04/25/2006, 01:17 AM
Hate to say it but try a different bulb. I got the 150DE and the bulb stopped working after one time. Returned it and tried another this didn't even start up. Switched to a 14K Hamilton and it works great now.

Kinetic
04/25/2006, 01:20 AM
So maybe their bulbs are faulty?

I definately will not buy a bulb myself, that totally sucks if I need to buy my own bulb, after they've charged me for their own.

If they can give me money to go buy a 3rd party bulb then I'd do that, otherwise they better fix this!

wkl01
04/25/2006, 01:39 AM
I just think the bulbs may not be the best. I going to use the replacement as a spare. There aren't many choices for a hang on the tank fixture like this so I figured I try out a better bulb first before giving up on the fixture. If I start having problems with bulb....

1lilfishee
04/25/2006, 03:58 PM
i have a 70 and 150w viper and totally love them. the tank critters seem so much happier and everything is opening up soooooo HUGE now! the fish seem to like it too.

EricBrian
04/25/2006, 04:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7246147#post7246147 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 1lilfishee
i have a 70 and 150w viper and totally love them. the tank critters seem so much happier and everything is opening up soooooo HUGE now! the fish seem to like it too.

I get my viper tomorrow! :)

Now, I just need to find a cheap moon light to afix to it. :)

Kinetic
04/25/2006, 05:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7246229#post7246229 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EricBrian

currentusa has those linkable moonlights that are something like $11-$15 and work very well. YOu could probably mount them somewhere on the arms...

EricBrian
04/25/2006, 05:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7246558#post7246558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by koden
currentusa has those linkable moonlights that are something like $11-$15 and work very well. YOu could probably mount them somewhere on the arms...

Yes... but I want one cheap! LOL

flameangel88
04/25/2006, 05:21 PM
I got a pack of 5 photo-sensitive night lights that have like 7 colors total with one very close but brighter than moonlight from Costsco for about $15 that I've one on each tank.

They are very cool as the 7 colors rotate every couple of seconds but is adjustable to any one of the 7 colors you want. $3 each how can you go wrong.

Texsun
04/25/2006, 06:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7246558#post7246558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by koden
I'm using one "mounted" via double-sided tape on the upper most arm. Perfect setup for me.

Kinetic
04/25/2006, 06:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7246613#post7246613 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EricBrian
Yes... but I want one cheap! LOL

omg how cheap can you get?!

goto radioshak and buy some led's and hook them up then. a few dollars.

EricBrian
04/25/2006, 06:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7247123#post7247123 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by koden
omg how cheap can you get?!

goto radioshak and buy some led's and hook them up then. a few dollars.

Couple of bucks is cheap. :)

EricBrian
04/25/2006, 06:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7247100#post7247100 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Texsun
I'm using one "mounted" via double-sided tape on the upper most arm. Perfect setup for me.

Nice, got a pic of it? :)

DragonFish
04/26/2006, 12:00 PM
Well, I've had mine for over two weeks now and it still seems pretty dim to be a working bulb. It also looks more like a 10K bulb, not nearly as blue but more of a yellowish white. I've contacted JBJ to find out what they will do. I'm thinking that the bulbs they ship might be of questionable quality.

Kinetic
04/26/2006, 12:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7251645#post7251645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DragonFish
Well, I've had mine for over two weeks now and it still seems pretty dim to be a working bulb. It also looks more like a 10K bulb, not nearly as blue but more of a yellowish white. I've contacted JBJ to find out what they will do. I'm thinking that the bulbs they ship might be of questionable quality.

i contacted them too, it seems like they will replace my bulb. I will be faxing them my receipt.

aural
04/26/2006, 12:58 PM
that is pretty dissapointing that some of the bulbs arent up to par. I'm glad that JBJ is going to replace them, but man - you would think they could get the bulb right seeing that they arent even producing them. let us know how the new one works, Koden.

DragonFish
04/26/2006, 12:59 PM
Do we have any idea who does produce them?

Kinetic
04/28/2006, 08:29 PM
I just got the bulb in the mail.

Big thumbs up to customer support! THey contacted me quickly and got the bulb shipped out and arrived at my home 2 days later after I asked for help.

I looked at the package, just a box that has a printed label: JBJ 70w 20000K. Then I think, isn't the bulb supposed to be a 14000K bulb?

I've emailed them asking why the one they sent me is 20000K....

EricBrian
04/28/2006, 08:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7246229#post7246229 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EricBrian

I did get my Viper on Thursday but the bulb was broke. I called the place I ordered it from and they are sending me a new bulb. But, that will take a week to get to me. So, more wait.

:(

Did you guys buy a back up bulb in case your bulb breaks? If so, where from?

jimsflies
04/28/2006, 11:33 PM
I got my viper a couple days ago. Like a lot of things jbj makes the concept is good, but the implementation falls short. I love the concept of the slim clip on halide. The worst part of the design is the reflector. It causes a lot of light to spill out of the tank. In fact, right under the light its dimmer than the light around going outside of the tank on the wall. I'm not sure if the reflector could be modded somehow? The intensity directly under the bulb is probably not a big deal for a nano tank. However, I find the light spillage to be annoying.

I think this has been said before, but the arms seem like they could be made out of heavier material. They seem a bit wobbly to me.

My stock bulb is working fine. But I don't care for the color as well as the pheonix 150s I'm running on my display tank. So, I will probably upgrade the bulb. (If someone is interested in a working jbj replacement bulb, let me know.)

I plan to use the fixture. I think it will work out. Its just too bad they didn't put a little more engineering into it.

Newreeflady
04/29/2006, 02:47 PM
Hi Jim,

I agree with what you said, but i'm still very happy with the lamp. Looking at other 70w fixtures such as the pod, etc, you will pay a decent amount more than the $150 for the Viper. For $150, you can buy a retro kit, but you need to modify the hood for that. I think it's all about reasonable expectations, and for $150 halide, mine were met. I expected spillage with no top, and I expected it probably would have a cheesy reflector as the unit is pretty small. A spider type would be better, but this one works fine for the application (what about 13" x 13".) It is a little wobbly left to right, i'll agree, but at least it is pretty rigid in the important direction (up/down.)

Post your pics of the stock vs the phoenix if you can. I really like the stock color, but i'm interested in seeing other brands as well.

Thanks,
Angela

jimsflies
04/29/2006, 05:01 PM
I agree, I like it. I like it the same as I do the nano cube. Its a great concept at a great price. Just needs a few improvements to have the whole package.

EmasCterE
05/02/2006, 11:42 AM
I just got mine yesterday. Can't wait to set it up

stewie24
05/02/2006, 05:09 PM
Has anyone tried a different bulb other than the stock bulb on the 70 watt fixture? I was hoping someone has because I don't think mine is all that bright. Perhaps a different reflector would help, but thats going to be a massive DIY lol.
Stewie

EricBrian
05/02/2006, 08:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7291764#post7291764 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stewie24
Has anyone tried a different bulb other than the stock bulb on the 70 watt fixture? I was hoping someone has because I don't think mine is all that bright. Perhaps a different reflector would help, but thats going to be a massive DIY lol.
Stewie

I talked with a rep from the company I bought it at.... he suggested Aqualine or Hamilton bulb. I, however, haven't tried either of them yet.

EricBrian
05/02/2006, 08:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7289573#post7289573 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EmasCterE
I just got mine yesterday. Can't wait to set it up

Have any pics? :)

Kinetic
05/02/2006, 08:36 PM
seems like JBJ sent me the wrong bulb, 20K instead of 14K. They're letting me keep the 20K as a backup bulb and sending me another 14K. They have great customer service!

Newreeflady
05/02/2006, 08:40 PM
Sweet!

EmasCterE
05/02/2006, 08:43 PM
How long are you guys leaving the lights on during the day? Also, how long do MH bulbs last?

Steve

Kinetic
05/02/2006, 08:48 PM
my MH stays on for 8 hours

DragonFish
08/31/2006, 01:43 PM
Sorry to resurect this thread but I have some updates. I've been living with my 150W viper for about 5 months now and its still working great. After having the stock JBJ bulb in for a bit I decided it was too yellow and dim for my tastes so I swapped it out for a 14K Hamilton. To my surprise the Hamilton was exactly the same color and only slightly brighter to the eye. I let that run for a while and I didn't notice any obvious change in my tank other than a bit faster coraline growth. Still not totally happy with the yellowish look to the bulbs I picked up a cheap ebay special 20K 175w bulb just to see the color. I paid $19 shipped for a brand new bulb. When I got it I was a bit worried that it wouldn't even fire being a 175w but was happy to see that it fires just fine. What REALLY surprises me is that I love the color and get this, it looks WAY brighter than either the JBJ or the Hamilton. The colors of my corals pop much better now and I think I'm getting a bit better growth too. My next bulb will probably be a 14K phoenix, as I've heard they have the best PAR of all the 150w bulbs.

calvin415
08/31/2006, 02:35 PM
Anyone who has the Viper think there will be an issue cliping it on this tank? The acrylic is 3/8" and I've planning on clipping it to the back of the overflow box... How heavy is the fixture?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/calvin415/DSCN2346.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/calvin415/DSCN2347.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/calvin415/DSCN2349.jpg

DragonFish
08/31/2006, 02:40 PM
It puts quite a bit of force on the back, I would be worried that it might crack, but I also have no idea how strong acrylic is.

Kinetic
08/31/2006, 02:45 PM
I would say it could clip to the overflow box, but that's risking the overflow box cracking off and I wouldn't do it. Plus my viper sucked so bad I wouldn't recommend it =( It died on me and they want me to pay for shipping to ship it back to them. The light output isnt even that great compared to my illuming.com retrofit.

calvin415
08/31/2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks Kinetic... I want an open top look for this tank, any thoughts on how to accomplish it without mounting something to the ceiling? Wife has said the ceiling is off limits. :(

NickP123
08/31/2006, 05:18 PM
anyone know of an east coast distributor who sells these?

Kennyboy1984
08/31/2006, 07:46 PM
The coral life hang on mh is excellent. Big strong clamp. Broad light across the whole surface of the tank. Altough it does cost a bit more than the viper. Imo it is well worth it. Get the 20,000 k version. The light and shimmer look spectacular!

SeaSwag
08/31/2006, 09:48 PM
I was very close to buying one of the 70w Viper K2's for my 12gal dx but once I read more about it and actually seen one at the LFS I am guilt free about paying a little more and getting the Current USA 70w Sunpod. I was totally turned off by how unsteady the viper felt and all these stories of the bulbs burning out. The sunpod looks great IMO and has moonlights to boot. If you want a MH fixture for your cube pick up a sunpod or something else.

ycrazyy
09/01/2006, 07:35 AM
I have the 150w version and I actually like it quite a bit. It is very sturdy when properly attached to your tank, I have no worries that it will loose it's grip and fall in the water. I will say I have not had good luck with the bulbs though. The one that came with it was DOA, and then the other night after 3 months of running with no problems, the bulb just exploded for no reason (all covered under warranty, but still a PITA). I am contemplating buying another one actually for a new tank I am starting but may go with T5's instead.

triciod
09/01/2006, 09:44 AM
Yea, i've heard a lot about the Viper's bulbs exploding randomly...quick note

NickP123
09/01/2006, 10:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8054503#post8054503 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SeaSwag
I was very close to buying one of the 70w Viper K2's for my 12gal dx but once I read more about it and actually seen one at the LFS I am guilt free about paying a little more and getting the Current USA 70w Sunpod. I was totally turned off by how unsteady the viper felt and all these stories of the bulbs burning out. The sunpod looks great IMO and has moonlights to boot. If you want a MH fixture for your cube pick up a sunpod or something else.

I have the same tank. I don't see how the sunpod will fit. The tank measures 13" across but the sunpod is 16.5". Let me know how you plan on doing this because I would much rather get a current usa product.

SeaSwag
09/01/2006, 03:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8056930#post8056930 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NickP123
I have the same tank. I don't see how the sunpod will fit. The tank measures 13" across but the sunpod is 16.5". Let me know how you plan on doing this because I would much rather get a current usa product.

NickP123 been using the 16.5 sunpod on mine for the last 2 weeks the unit has 2 lateral rails on each side and allows the support legs to slide in or out so you can actually put the unit on a smaller tank. the only problem a person would have with the unit if they put it on a smaller tank than the 12 gal NC is the moon lights, they are at the very edge of the tank sides but still make the tank look great. I like the moonlights on the sunpod alot better than the moonlights on the 12 gal DX hood.

NickP123
09/01/2006, 03:30 PM
the tank is in my office so it really doesn't matter about the moonlights. thanks for the info :)

NickP123
09/01/2006, 03:32 PM
also pics would be cool

SeaSwag
09/01/2006, 06:02 PM
Here is a pic of my tank with the 16.5 Sunpod

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/7608/metanktz7.jpg