PDA

View Full Version : hair algae

d1hotblaze
03/25/2006, 12:39 AM
i need something to control the growth of hair algae...fish,chemicles,inverts any sugestions are greatly appreciated

discus010
03/25/2006, 02:49 AM
Use to have a lot of hair algae in my tank until I got a desjardin tang and some blue legged hermits.

What is your phosphate level? If it is high, you might want to consider using phosban or a similar product to reduce those levels.

SNAKEMANVET
03/25/2006, 01:23 PM
turbo snails will do good job, do you use ro/di water, do regular water changes will bring down the phosphate, and nitrates if they are high. good luck.

Blazer88
03/25/2006, 03:39 PM
Don't expect fish, chemicles, or inverts to solve your problem, those will just cover it up. You have excess nutrients in your tank and need to reduce them in one way or another. Use RO/DI, rinse all food before it goes into the tank, setup a refugium, increase flow to keep detritus suspended in water column and filtered out, ect. There are a ton of things you can do.

majestic sea life
03/25/2006, 04:56 PM
make sure your useing RODI. And do u have a skimmer?

kabal2
03/26/2006, 10:57 AM
for a quick fix, you can use Mexican turbo snails, sea hare, manual removal,and an algae blennie, but the question is do you know where those nutrients are coming from?? that what you have to check, how much you feed a day, and what kind of water for top off and to make new salt water you use

HartfordWhalers
03/26/2006, 01:26 PM
I was told the blue legged hermit crabs work well. But you can't really depend on a fish, animal or anything really living to get rid of it.

d1hotblaze
03/26/2006, 10:25 PM
thanks for the advice...phos and nitrates and all 0 i think the detritus is the cause ..i feed once a day