PDA

View Full Version : Help plumbing a 30G *I have some new ideas*

MX6import
03/24/2006, 01:53 PM
Hello everyone,
OK I have searched a lot but have not found quite what im looking for. I have a 30G with a CPR overflow with a flow rate of 300 GPH and a ¾� bulk head. This will be run into a sump below the tank where there will be a Euro Reef protein skimmer. Now on that do I need a baffle or two before the return for bubbles? Also for the return. This is what im thinking. Im going to do this a few different ways here they are:
1. have the return go to a SCWD then up the sides of the tank where there will be a T and then have it spilt with one return higher and one lower on both sides.
2. have the return go right to a T then up to a SCWD on either side and then the same with one return higher and one lower.
3. Or do I go from the return to a T then up the sides and have a another T with one return higher and one lower with hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector on both returns on either side so it would be 4 all together.

What will make the most sense and have the most amount of flow in my tank with out having allot of equipment in there. I would like to just have the returns and no power heads inside the tank. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks allot.
Andrew

FishWife1
03/24/2006, 04:22 PM
Hi Andrew,

I am doing the same thing except I am not using a CPR overflow. I'm having a hole drilled and bulkheaded and an overflow about the same size as a CPR glued in front of it. I was originally going to use a smaller pump but after using the head loss calculator I decided to go larger.

I am going to have an Eheim 1260 pump rated at 600 gph. The overflow size will be 8x2x8 - approx the size of the CPR give or take, with a 1" pipe. The reason I have chosen the larger amount of water movement is because @ approx. 4 ft. head the 600 gal. will be significantly reduced, then passing through a SQWD reduces that by another 1/3 or more. So that should leave me with about 300-350 or so gph. If that turns out to be too much the Eheim pumps can be ramped back using a ball valve.

I just ran this all by Jeremy at Premium Aquatics because I wanted to confirm that Eheims could be cut back without damaging the pump. He agreed with my calculations and assured me that, if necessary, I can cut back on the return.

Take a look at the head loss calculator to see what your return really will be and then factor in the 1/3 loss from the SQWD.

Laurie

MX6import
03/24/2006, 05:01 PM
ok thanks. I tried the head loss calculator but I wasn't sure how much loss would happen with the SCWD. And do you think that the SCWD would be best right a the top of the pump? plus will more power be used when the pump is working so hard but no water is going?

FishWife1
03/24/2006, 06:00 PM
Don't know. Those are things we need to find out, though. I thought about SQWD placement but I didn't think about the energy consumption. The Eheim is a fairly efficient pump but watts do add up.

Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Thanks

MX6import
03/25/2006, 11:29 AM
ttt

MX6import
03/29/2006, 01:01 PM
i think im going to get a mag drive 7 instead of the Eheim pump. mag seams slightly better and pumps more water while using only 7 more Watts

FishWife1
03/29/2006, 01:35 PM
I've had Mag Drives in the past and they eventually got noisy on me. I've read and talked to people about the Eheims and they are real workhorses and supposed to be pretty quiet. I figure by the time the Eheim goes through the pipes for 3 1/2 ft. or so and the SQWD (which I got today) it will be down to 300-400 gph. From what I've read about these cubes I may have to cut that back some. We'll see but that's what ball valves are for.;)

A lot of people like the Mag Drives, though, I may have just had bad luck.

Laurie

MX6import
03/29/2006, 02:54 PM
now how much flow are you going to have in your tank? how much is to much?