PDA

View Full Version : Green star polyps not extending at all

serendipity576
04/20/2002, 02:31 PM
I bought some GSP 2 days ago and added them to my tank. The first day they extended and everything was fine for the most part. Then the second day they didn't extend , and today they haven't extended at all. I have a 15 gallon nano, 65 watts PC, also I have had a green open brain doing well in there for 2 months now. I think the lights might be a little brighter than what they were in. Could this be it? Someone please help.

Clay

Avi
04/20/2002, 02:43 PM
be patient

Boogiechillin
04/20/2002, 03:56 PM
FWIW, it took mine a week to extend when I first got them, and if I disturb them they remain withdrawn for several days.

holeinone1972
04/20/2002, 04:10 PM
Water flow is important for this coral. Is it getting enough water flow?

clamz
04/20/2002, 04:15 PM
i would try moving them around, less light more flow kinda thing.

i got this gsp cutting from an lfs in the area here in southeast texas, and they never stopped opening from day 1(when the lights are on of course);)

serendipity576
04/20/2002, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice. They're in medium current right now, but I can't reduce the light any because they're at the bottom of the tank. I guess I'll just be patient. Any other suggestions?

Stoli
04/21/2002, 05:36 AM
I have a GSP forest in my tank. Need a lawnmower to keep it under control. Mine are situated towards the top of the tank, fairly close to 175 MH and 110 VHOs. IMHO, they like good light, fairly strong indirect current, and the water here in Rochester, New York. I also find that if you talk to them on a regular basis, they tend to extend better.;)

One other thing. You said you have them in a 15 gallon nano. Usually, such small tanks receive very small feedings and can experience big swings in salinity due to evaporation. I have a 33 gallon (i'd call it a semi-nano) at work and I find that when the salinity gets too high due to weekend evaporation, the GSP's aren't happy. MY open brain doesn't seem to mind though. Also, because I feed the tank lightly, I occasionally spot feed DT's when the GSP's are open even a little.

naka
04/21/2002, 07:17 AM
I had mine for over a year, and sometimes it goes for about 3 to 4 days w/o opening up.

serendipity576
04/21/2002, 12:33 PM
Well, still not open today. I checked the salinity and its a bit high, so I'm going to pull it down a bit today, see if that helps anything, and then just wait I guess. Thanks again everyone.

Stoli
04/21/2002, 07:36 PM
Serendipity:

How's your temperature. That's another thing that can vary widely with nano's. My GSP's are pretty sensitive to any wide variations in parameters. Also, do you have anything in the tank that might be iritating them. They sometimes retract when crabs crawl on them. Last suggestion might be to move them closer to the lights. I know you mentioned that the light may be too strong but that usually isn't a problem with them. As I mentioned, in my tank, they are pretty close to the top near MH's. May want to consider moving them up. Most important, make sure you talk to them at least daily. At very least, you'll feel like you're doing something.

Good luck.

serendipity576
04/24/2002, 05:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Well they finally are opening on a regular basis now thank goodness. After I reduced the salinity a bit and started adding limewater(BTW, this was purely by coincidence, I was planning to add the limewater anyway), the GSP started coming out again slowly but surely. Now they're back to opening fully. Thanks everyone.

Clay