PDA

View Full Version : 10g setup list: looking for adivce

mtfish
03/24/2006, 01:16 AM
First I would like to say hi, I've been lurking for a while now but finally got the guts to start a Nano. I'm new to reef keeping but have been keeping several FW tanks for years. I'm looking foward joining you all in this fantastic niche of the hobby. Enough of the boring stuff...

I'm trying to start with as little $$$ spent as possible, so everything you see listed (except the livestock, rock , & other noted items) I have aquired through my years keeping FW tanks. Before you ask why I had a skimmer, let me just say the price was right. ;)

I would appreciate it if you would take a look and make any suggestions or comments.

I will be using
10 Gallon Aquarium
AQUACLEAR 70
Penguin 550 Powerhead
(2) Single Fluorescent Fixture 19w for 38w total
Prizm Deluxe Skimmer
Heater
Glass Hood
Digital Thermometer

Will buy
10-12lbs Live rock (Tonga) & Rubble in filter.
Salt Mix
Living Sea Hydrometer Plus-Large Thermometer
(Refractometer) <--- I'll get one after I'm sure I'm sticking with the reef hobby, which will take about a day :)
Reef sand & live sand to seed it.

Other Stuff I have
RO/DI
Test Kits

Livestock... I think...
watchman goby
pistol shrimp
False Percula <-- I'm undecided on him.

Clean-up Crew
2 astrea snails
2 Nassarius snails
1 red leg hermit

Maybe Later???
1 Brittle star

Corals
zoanthids, star polyps, mushrooms

Final Notes
I do have a few other powerheads & HOB filters. I went with the aquaclear because from what I've read most people who have used them have been happy.

If someone knows of a CHEAP DIY approach to the lighting I would consider that as well.

I realize many people argue that a skimmer isn't needed but I figure I have it so I might as well use it and that any nutrients lost will be replaced by weekly water changes.

I do realize a Nano can be a hard way to start but because of space I am limited. I already do weekly water changes on my 5 FW tanks so another tank is no big deal.

My Questions
1. I realize you all are going to tell me to use PCF lighting or a MH pendant, but remember I'm trying to keep costs down. So my question is this, What bulb combonation should I go with a) 50/50 bulb + 50/50 bulb b.) 50/50 bulb + 10000k bulb c) 50/50 bulb + 420nm Actinic d) 10000k + 420nm Actinic?

2. I'm very interested in the symbiotic relationship between the goby and the pistol shrimp. However, will the pistol shrimp act as a cleaner as well? I've read they will graze on algae but will they be as effective as another "cleaner" shrimp OR will another shrimp better at cleaning also share the relationship with the goby?

3. I have limited my clean-up crew based on reading that everything I have picked for the tank will graze on algae and I don't want to starve the true clean-up crew. I'm I being paranoid and is even correct?

4. Would it be worth buying a Rotating Powerhead (http://www.petsolutions.com/Powersweep+212+Powerhead-I-97603212-I-C-42-C-.aspx) or similar item?

5. What are your opinions on a Urchin making it's way into my tank?

Thanks in advance.

(and thanks for reading all that :lol: )

mtfish
03/24/2006, 02:16 PM
Sorry about the double post :(

After a night of thinking it over I might buy a 20" 1x28w Coralife Aqualight (http://www.aquaticexchange.com/product_info.php?cPath=285_324&products_id=657), And mix it with a 19w NO. For 4.7wpg. Do you think that would be enough? Otherwise I'd have to go with a Orbit 20" 2 x 40 Watt Power Compact Strip Light W/Lunar Light (http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29617;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=) but thats $100.

Blazer88
03/24/2006, 02:52 PM
I'll do my best to help with a few of your questions.

1) I decided to not go with MH on my 20G tank. I went with 65W 50/50 (10K/03 Actinic) and a 65W 03 Actinic. I got both bulbs from hellolights.com and love the color. The previous bulbs were 10K and 420nm blue Actinics, I like the hellolights bulbs much better.

2) The Pistol won't act as a cleaner, but the relationship with the Goby is more than rewarding. I have two different shrimps and Gobies (in different tanks) but no cleaner shrimp. I don't think they would bother each other, but in a 10G I am unsure of how they would act.

3) I have 10 Astrea snails in my 20G and nothing has starved yet. So maybe 5 of them in a 10G?

4) I've heard bad things about the realibility of those power sweeps. I would just use a Maxi Jet (maybe with the "stream" mod) as they are extremely reliable.

5) I think an Urchin will get too large for that tank, but maybe someone else will comment.

vyger
03/24/2006, 03:04 PM
In your list you have a prizm skimmer...do you have an Urchin also... Do you mean an Aqua C Urchin...Isn't that an in sump skimmer. I have a Remora on one of my 10 gal tanks and it seems fine..
Forget the power sweeps ..I have 3 of them and they work for a little while then stick in one position...

Stephany
03/24/2006, 03:14 PM
I had a 40 watt power compact 10000k + one actinic.. it was a "smart lamp" system.. came with a little lunar light. I bought some legs and that worked really really well for my 10 gallon. I liked the light. Cheap diy? Well, I'm certain you can find a cheap power compact fixture on the selling forum. :)
As far as the clean up crew... I would go with like 10 cerith snails, and you could put a few blue leg hermits in there. If you find that they eat all the algae, all you have to do is drop in a little piece of broccoli. They'll be all over it. No worries. :)
Don't watchmen goby get big? I can't remember. people seem to really enjoy their jawfish though. I'm getting one eventually. :) Gotta cover your tank though.
My power sweep lasted two weeks, then shat the bed.
I started on a ten gallon nano. Great fun. =)
If you could hook up a sump, it will save you some room in the tank. I had 25 lbs of live rock to help with filtration in mine.

mtfish
03/24/2006, 03:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7032242#post7032242 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vyger
In your list you have a prizm skimmer...do you have an Urchin also... Do you mean an Aqua C Urchin...Isn't that an in sump skimmer. I have a Remora on one of my 10 gal tanks and it seems fine..
Forget the power sweeps ..I have 3 of them and they work for a little while then stick in one position...

Sorry for the confusion. I have a Red Sea Prizim Protein Skimmer. The Urchin I was refering to was a Sea Urchin. :)

Blazer88
03/24/2006, 03:41 PM
I went with a pair of Hi Fin Shrimp gobies and a Randalli (Candystripe) pistol. Both of them stay small, generally under 2".

mtfish
03/24/2006, 05:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7032324#post7032324 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Stephany
Well, I'm certain you can find a cheap power compact fixture on the selling forum. :)

I didn't think about that! I just checked and found a 40 watt satellite hood. So I think that would be my lighting, along with another 19w so about 59w on a 10g. I would think that should be ample for what I want to start with...

Originally posted by Stephany
As far as the clean up crew... I would go with like 10 cerith snails, and you could put a few blue leg hermits in there. If you find that they eat all the algae, all you have to do is drop in a little piece of broccoli. They'll be all over it. No worries. :)
Originally posted by Blazer88
3) I have 10 Astrea snails in my 20G and nothing has starved yet. So maybe 5 of them in a 10G?

I can see I'm undershooting my cleaners. I guess I'd bump upto 5 of each with 2 blue leg hermit.

I will stay away from the powersweep, that many people with bad stories, the thing must not be worth it.

If anyone has anyother livestock suggestions I'd be willing to listen. I just would like to have a goby/shrimp combo.

Thanks for the advice thus far!

tangreef68
03/24/2006, 06:38 PM
i think that an urchin will grow too large for a ten gallon, tank, except for one:
The Tuxedo Pincushion Urchin

Here is a link to one of them on liveaquaria.com:

Blue Tuxedo Urchin (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=595)

rich415
03/25/2006, 01:49 AM
On my old ten gal. I had a 2x32 watt fixture and I kept LPS and Softies. So anything in this range should work but the more lighting you can get in your price range the best.

For filtration I would get one of the bigger aquaclear models (I forget the model #) and convert it to a refugium. I did this and did not have any of the hair algea problems I had in my first 10 gallon setup. And then use a small powerhead to break up the downward current of both the aquaclear filter and Prism skimmer.

mtfish
03/25/2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm now looking at a 40 watt satellite hood and one of my NO 19w I think that would put me in a pretty good wpg range.

For filtration I would get one of the bigger aquaclear models (I forget the model #) and convert it to a refugium.
I know there are alot of refugium threads out there but I'm curious what you put in yours?

Thanks!

mr pink floyd
03/25/2006, 01:39 PM
my 29 has 65 watts PC, i have softies NP, only abotu 2 WPG, and they all prosper and grow fast, dont use NO, maybe shrooms will live in that, but they wont look as cool.

IM upgradign to T5 soon, but if i were you id get more light, after you get in the swing of things you will want more

thast what heppened to me!

mtfish
03/26/2006, 11:23 PM
Thanks to everyone for their lighting advice, I ended up ordering the 20" Orbit 2x40w so that should take care of lighting. :) I found it at BigAls for $99 with 2 timers and a shirt (oh joy!). But seriously, thanks for your help so far. Now I have to wait for another pay check :( Well that gives me time to decide on livestock :D

Stephany
03/27/2006, 12:10 AM
Good deal on the lights. Getting a "no salt creep" product will really help being able to remove that plastic piece that slides out as well as the lunar light. That is, if your tank will be an open top tank. They sell it at pet smart even. I think a vinegar/water solution is fine too.

The thing that kinda stinks about the aquaclear filters is that the bigger they are, the more you have to keep the fish tank away from the wall. That toootally sucks, at least it did for me in an apartment. At the same time, a powerhead takes up room in a ten gallon. Anyone use those minijet powerheads? What are they, picos?

mtfish
03/27/2006, 12:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7049129#post7049129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Stephany
Good deal on the lights. Getting a "no salt creep" product will really help being able to remove that plastic piece that slides out as well as the lunar light. That is, if your tank will be an open top tank. They sell it at pet smart even. I think a vinegar/water solution is fine too.
Good point, I didn't even think about that.

The thing that kinda stinks about the aquaclear filters is that the bigger they are, the more you have to keep the fish tank away from the wall. That toootally sucks, at least it did for me in an apartment.
The nice thing about that is that its going to sit across a corner so there is alot of space back there anyway. But I know what you mean from my FW tanks.

Stephany
03/27/2006, 01:45 AM
Sweet. :)
I'd definitely do one of those big aquaclears then too.

Have you figured in where/what live rock yet? You can get that curing while your thinkin' about livestock.

mtfish
03/27/2006, 11:01 AM
A local store has some Fiji Rock. I'll get most of it there. Then a little from another local store to mix it up a bit.