PDA

View Full Version : 10G setup...advice

ArcticBlue
03/24/2006, 01:02 AM
Just looking for general advice. I have been thinking about setting up this 10 gallon for like a year now, im finally gonna take the plunge and do so. I ordered the 20" orbit fixture for $105 shipped. However now I am noticing that many are recommending the 20" 96w Aqualight over the Orbit fixture. Other then the added 1.5w per gallon is there any reason for this? Ive fiddled around with the Aqualight and didnt find it much to my liking. What kind of corals could I keep with the Orbit fixture?

Other planned items are a pair of Powerheads each pushing at least 150 gph and a heater. Ive read that the live sand sold in prepackaged bags in the LFS is a waste of money, is that accurate? I also have a choice between Instant Ocean and Oceanic salt, which would you recommend and why?

I know I asked alot of questions. Some of them I think I already know the answers too, but I want a little outside advice just to make sure I havent overlooked anything. Thanks to everyone for their time and consideration.

stewie24
03/24/2006, 01:20 AM
As for the orbit vs powerquad debate its all a matter of preference. WIth the orbit you have moonilghts, control over dusk/dawn.
I have used them both and actually prefer the color of the orbit better.

I'd use IO salt. It seems to be a common favorite.

Corals you could keep would be: zoos, shrooms, lps, leathers, softies.

Prepackaged sand is alright to use. (if you are talking about aragalive).

Stewie

stewie24
03/24/2006, 01:27 AM
Btw,
Welcome to Reef Central!

Stewie

ArcticBlue
03/24/2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the welcome :) I am sure youll be seeing alot of me around. Thank you also for the advice.

ArcticBlue
03/24/2006, 01:33 PM
Ok folks, do I really need a skimmer and a filter? I dont want to start a huge debate on the matter, I am just trying to set this up inexpensively and I dont want anything that I dont REALLY need.

I am going to be using at least 10 lbs live rock, and a 2" sand bed. As far as livestock goes I am planning for 1 percula clown, a cleaner shrimp, 2 hermits and 2 snails. Ive ordered 2 Rio Powerheads, since I have heard good things about the brand.

I am a long time freshwater fan, so I am having a hard time wrapping my head around not getting a filter. Anyone with any quick advice on the subject?

Cutiewitbooty
03/24/2006, 01:43 PM
you don't have to have a skimmer as long as you keep up with your water changes. I would get a HOB filter though,b ut keep up with the cartrge changes. IMO the orbit it alot better than the quad and the light that the orbit puts out is a better quality than the quad, so 16 watts isn't going to make that big of a differance. If you look at my gallery (camera pic button) i had a 10 gal set up.

ArcticBlue
03/24/2006, 01:54 PM
Great thanks :) filter ordered. Now all I need is the tank, sand, salt, RO water and live rock.

BTW, awesome to see other females in the hobby. Sometimes it feels like a mans world. Ive seen your tanks, they are great. I hope mine turn out half that well.

Cutiewitbooty
03/24/2006, 02:06 PM
you can pick up the tank at wal-mart for $9 and i would get the live sand in a bag, they sell a 10lb bag of it that works perfect for a 10 gal, thats what i had in mine. I also just buy premixed Ro/di saltwater from my LFS for 75c gal and i think it's worth it. If i had a tank that was over 40gal i would get my own ro unit and salt, but it's conveniant for a smaller tank just to get it premixed (IMO anyways)

It is nice seeing more females, when i first joined back in 03 there was only like 5 females, but now alot more females are getting into the hobby.

ArcticBlue
03/24/2006, 02:14 PM
Yea I held off on the stuff I did since I have a discount hookup at a LFS. 30% off rules. Thats how I ended up with 5 freshwater tanks though, I am pretty sure they are still making plenty of money off of me. The only bad thing about their premixed RO is that its SG 1.018, which is understandable since they put it in their own tanks (I think they are trying to prevent SW Ich) but no good for mine. Their freshwater RO is 49 cents a gallon, so I will just mix my own. Plus why let someone else have all the fun?

dime079
04/16/2006, 05:10 PM
I've been reading thru these nano posts and got a good idea about what all I need for my 10g, and this one kinda caught my eye. My dad was really big into SW in the 70's or so but he has been out of it for 20 years, he is suggesting a whole bunch of weird stuff I havent seen listed on here. I was just wondering, other than the orbit light (already bought :), what was your hardware (filter, heater, etc..) brands and models if you know them.