PDA

View Full Version : New 12 gallon Nano Cube (Way too fast)

addboy
03/23/2006, 10:50 PM
I have a 90 gallon reef that's over a year old....I have had this cube running for about 3 weeks....constantly doing water changes (either from my 90 or fresh salt mix)..I have already added 2 seahorses (Reidi), 2 Red footed moon snails, a Rainford's goby, 2 Atlantic Porcelain crabs, a Boxer Crab, a nasarius snail, a fighting conch,a peppermint shrimp, dragon's breath, caetemorpha, calearpa.....Hmmm 25-30 pounds of really live rock....not to mention a pom-pom zenia, some green star polyp, mushrooms and sun coral.
I know I did this way too fast,...I am just trying to keep every thing afloat,...Or uhh...vice/versa. :p

jjirsa78
03/24/2006, 02:04 AM
3 weeks and seahorses? That would scare me...

kewliz
03/24/2006, 02:11 AM
aww, if it's setup with components from an existing established tank it shouldn't be a huge deal.

addboy
03/25/2006, 01:17 AM
The seahorses are young....and remarkably tough...they have actually outlasted a couple of inverts I threw in at first.

HartfordWhalers
03/26/2006, 01:56 PM
they should be fine if they're hardy

Jordan55
03/26/2006, 02:01 PM
I think you will be finding yourself selling the horses or upgrading them to a bigger thank within a few months.... atleast if you care for them.

mr pink floyd
03/26/2006, 06:09 PM
yo ushould upgrade lights, or get a non photosynthetic Gorgonian, seahorses liek to perch on those, because they dotn swim well.

addboy
03/27/2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys. Is my 12 really too small?? How big do these guys get?? Will they just be hating life?? Good excuse to get a JBJ24gal.....or better yet I was thinking about doing something with a cube....maybe drilling an overflow.....25 gallons up top.....18 below....refugium.....100gal skimmer......ya know.....because of the feedings.....My wife will never see it coming!!

addboy
03/27/2006, 06:53 PM
And hey...What's up with no rock....my horses seem to love this little reef.....feather dusters....a little grass algae...some zenia....some skinny rocks...I think my tank might be too dirty for that cool yellow with red spot gorg.

Jordan55
03/27/2006, 10:47 PM
How big the horses now?

Reidi are one of the fastest growing, and can reach lengths of 8 inches! I would upgrade to a nice 24 gallon asap IMO. A recommended tank height is 18 inches for these guys, so look for that also.

Rocks and alage are good for them to cling onto. Are they eating frozen mysis?

Check with the Seahorses forum for more input and whatnot.

Please don't blow off this and procrastinate, it will be too late before you know it.

Good luck and keep us updated!

addboy
03/30/2006, 09:38 PM
These little seahorses are actually Kelloggi...they are about 4 inches...they seem to be relatively happy....dunno...they are a big hassle....it seems like the tank can never be clean with these guys...been feeding them once a day....Mysis...Zoe...Garlic Guard..Cyclop Eze..DTs..and spirulina enhanced brine.....My Rainford's goby dissappeared and I have a green clown Goby that worries me....just put 2 little red legged hermit crabs in the tank and the horses are hanging upside down to harass them on the sand....pretty funny...sea horsed are very strange creatures.....I am either going to sell them back or get a 30 cube.....having 2 tanks is definately giving me stress!!