PDA

View Full Version : Is Don Ho hiding in my tank?

yogisfriend
03/22/2006, 06:11 PM
Last night I noticed tiny bubbles beginning to release from my DSB. My tank is only 2 1/2 weeks old and I just started a small diatom bloom. I have hermits, three kinds of snails, and two emerald crabs. The bubbles aren't really that tiny; not microbubbles. Is it just that my sand bed is settling, or do I have things burrowing? Or is there something bad about to happen?

bjonesjr1
03/22/2006, 06:17 PM
When I first set up my tank, I used to stir the sand bed once a week when the diatom bloom happened to me, I just stired the sand to keep the algae bloom from getting out of hand... I used to see bubbles under the sand from my stirring it and they would get free to the top of tank when ever they could its nothing bad I don't think.

yogisfriend
03/22/2006, 06:45 PM
Ok, I'll do that tonight. Thanks.

jumpincactus
03/22/2006, 07:46 PM
Are you truly keeping a DSB or just a faux sand bottom? Most people consider 4-6 inches a DSB. I would recomend that you do some research using the forum search on DSB's or interent google seaches also.

I am concerned that with time and your tank matures you might not want to be disturbing your DSB if indeed that is what you have. This is due to the very bottom layer being anaerobic and it can also contain hygrogen sulfide and if you unwittingly disturb it you are looking at a potential catastrophe,

I could be wrong but read up on DSB's I would hate to have you do something and nuke your tank.....

yogisfriend
03/22/2006, 09:44 PM
I have graduated 4-6 inches. However, I put the rocks directly on the glass and put the sand around them to that depth. I assume that is still a DSB.

The bad stuff is what I was worried about; I didn't want to stir up anything that was best left underneath. However, after thinking about it, I doubt I'd have much in there yet. I read several of the threads but found nothing about the release of bubbles like I am experiencing. Maybe just some of my clean up crew digging around?

whiteshark
03/22/2006, 09:47 PM
It is possible, especially if you just dumped the sand in, that they are just traped air bubbles gradually escaping.