PDA

View Full Version : Just added skimmer

odstar
03/22/2006, 02:52 PM
I had my 24 gal Pod running since Feb. 26th 2006. I added a protein skimmer just the other day. Does the skimmer strip the tanks of nutrients. I want to start a reef tank. What supplements should be put into the system? I have about 27lbs of LR and 20lds of LS. My ammonia are at 0ppm nitrites at 0ppm but since I disturbed the system by removing the stock sponges ( I heard they are nitrate troubles) my nitrates stayed at 20ppm. Before I removed the sponges the nitrates were at 0ppm. Anyone Please let me know thanks

hawaiianwargod
03/22/2006, 03:44 PM
odstar,

Adding skimmer in a reef tank is all positive. It is one of many equipments that would benefit your reef tank. Skimmer does strips nutrients and elements in the tank but you can counter it by doing water change monthly or so.
As far as your nitrates, you should bring it down by doing water change, add skimmer, feed reasonably and adding a refugium with macro algae. hth.

odstar
03/22/2006, 05:37 PM
I think im going to run out of room. I barely have room for the Remora. Maybe I can DIY a refugium with a AC fliter? I saw it somewhere here??? Do you have any idea of a refugium for a Aquapod 24gal? Thanks Hawaiianwargod

harrisagogetter
03/22/2006, 06:00 PM
you might look in the main forum under nano aquariums. Also look in the diy forum for the refug...

good luck

Alaskan Reefer
03/22/2006, 07:20 PM
No supplements that you can't test for. If you're going to test, calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium are common supplements in reef tanks. Best way to defeat nitrates in a tank so small is water changes. I wouldn't add a refugium to such a small tank -- I'd stick with the Remora and water changes.

charles6299
03/22/2006, 07:44 PM
WEE

odstar
03/22/2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the input I will post pictures up soon. even though I have nothing. When can I start putting corals?

NANOFOOL
03/23/2006, 07:20 PM
skimmer is definately good it only takes out the bad stuff not the good stuff