PDA

View Full Version : Nimble Nano-magnet for 12g cube?

Newreeflady
03/21/2006, 09:20 PM
I just looked at this product, a couple of questions for those that have them..

Do you ever have problems with it falling into the sand? ie, does it lose grip around corners and fall?

Which size for the nano-cube 12g tank? Nimble or Super-Nimble? Will the super be better so you don't have to worry about it falling?

I have used the magfloat in nano's before, it's bulky, so I think this one looks like a good option. Just concerned about it's power and about it falling.

thx,
-A

egdevilboy
03/21/2006, 09:31 PM
they should float (oppose to fall). Other than that, i dunno too much about the brand or product, i just use a mag float.

kewliz
03/22/2006, 02:14 AM
I have a NC12 dx. I got the super nimble. I've had one and have been using it for months, so let me give you a few thoughts on it.

- The nimble does not do well with the corners. I thought it would go around the inside curve, but it does not entirely do so. I have to use a handheld scraper to do that part.
- If you catch them early enough (as soon as they're visible) the nimble can often remove corraline algae spots, but not always.
- Cleaning a nano with one is quick and easy. I do the hardcore (corraline) scraping using a larger, handheld, about once a month.
- I've used a Mag Float before - there is no comparison. This one is much smaller, but cleaning my tank only takes a few minutes, at most, and it's much more powerful than the Mag Float.
- If you run into a rock or sometimes when I'm going back and forth (walking it) around corners, I do lose the magnet. It does not float.
- The nimble I purchased does not entirely line up with the outside piece- they're slightly off-centered. However, it works well enough that I'd buy it again if I could. I just wish it did corners. Perhaps the regular nimble fits in the corners.

Any other questions let me know.

Newreeflady
03/22/2006, 02:47 AM
hmm, definitely curious if the original Nimble fits the corners. I know others must have them, too... anyone?

Thanks, Kewliz, very helpful!

-A

schiavonir
03/22/2006, 11:09 AM
I just ordered one (the regular, not the super) and should have it in a couple days. I'll let you guys know how it works.

Newreeflady, as for your question, either the regular or the super should work on your 12g nano. The super is designed for thicker glass. But it all depends on how far your rockwork is from the glass. My 6g is pretty tight, so I wanted the thinnest one possible. But if you have space for the 1/2" one, I would say to get that one.

Roger

Paladin
03/22/2006, 11:35 AM
I have both. I've used them in my OG Nanocube 12. The regular Nimble works just like the super, except the super is just stronger. I ended up putting the regular in my 29g acrylic, since I try to be more careful with the acrylic. I recommend the super for the Nanocube. And though they don't clean the corners perfectly, I think they do it well enough. I just go back and forth on the corners a few more times.

kewliz
03/22/2006, 11:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7014163#post7014163 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paladin
And though they don't clean the corners perfectly, I think they do it well enough. I just go back and forth on the corners a few more times.

Mine doesn't fit around the bendy part. The straight edges of the magnet straddle the corners.

Paladin
03/22/2006, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7014201#post7014201 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kewliz
Mine doesn't fit around the bendy part. The straight edges of the magnet straddle the corners.
True, but if you have it point upward and just go back and forth (at a moderately faster pace), doesn't it clean the glass? I have my Nanocube here at work and I'm trying it as I write this, and the super nimble is cleaning the corners (but, of course, not as easily as the flat glass).

Newreeflady
03/22/2006, 02:00 PM
So, is it falling in the sand when going around corners? I don't want to have to stick my hands in the tank all of the time to get it out.

thx,
-A

schiavonir
03/22/2006, 02:07 PM
It floats, so it wouldn't fall in the sand. You could just grab it with the outer magnet if you lose the connection.

Paladin
03/22/2006, 02:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7015302#post7015302 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Newreeflady
So, is it falling in the sand when going around corners?
No--I'm fairly rugged with it going back and forth on the corners and it doesn't fall.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7015349#post7015349 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by schiavonir
It floats, so it wouldn't fall in the sand.
The Nimble does NOT float. Unless the maker made a totally redesigned Nimble that I don't know of, it just sinks to the bottom if the magnets are separated.

energy_crisis
03/22/2006, 02:42 PM
My super nimble doesn't float. I go around my NC24 corner with the magnet vertical. I clean the corners with the nimble in the vertical position and I go in an up-down motion instead of side to side. You just have to go over it a few extra times. Unless the nimble is made with a curved bottom you'll never be able to clean it in one swipe.

One problem I have is that if you move it too fast it'll "skip" and any faster it'll loose grip...usually it falls close enough to the glass that you can just "suck" it back onto the glass with the outside peice. If not just use a scraper to push it up to the glass and let the magnets do their magic.

Best part about it is the super low profile, worst part is it sinks like a rock and skips.

Looks to me like it can be even thinner since the magnet is pretty thin.

schiavonir
03/22/2006, 02:55 PM
Oops, I assumed that it did float, just like the magfloats do. I figured the guy found a way to make it bouyant and still very thin. Guess not.

Newreeflady
03/22/2006, 03:29 PM
I don't like to just grab them back from the sand with the magnet. I try to prevent scratching where I can, and sand can scratch.

I'll have to ponder the tradeoff I suppose. Is the magfloat really that bad that people would rather give up the buoyancy?

-A

schiavonir
03/22/2006, 03:37 PM
In my case, my 6g is so full that there are several places I can't get to with the regular magfloat. My tank has been up for 2 months, and I'm getting to the point where the glass needs pretty regular cleaning.

Paladin
03/22/2006, 04:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7015962#post7015962 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Newreeflady
I don't like to just grab them back from the sand with the magnet. I try to prevent scratching where I can, and sand can scratch.
I'll have to ponder the tradeoff I suppose. Is the magfloat really that bad that people would rather give up the buoyancy?
-A
My Nimble doesn't fall to the sand that often. I'd say less than 5% of the times I've used it. Comparing it with the magfloat, the size, strength, and stealth of the Nimble greatly outweighs the buoyancy advantage of the magfloat IMO.

energy_crisis
03/22/2006, 06:28 PM
A good product to come up with is having a magnet cleaner that's low profile like the nimble yet buoyant like the magfloat.

kewliz
03/22/2006, 07:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7014296#post7014296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paladin
True, but if you have it point upward and just go back and forth (at a moderately faster pace), doesn't it clean the glass? I have my Nanocube here at work and I'm trying it as I write this, and the super nimble is cleaning the corners (but, of course, not as easily as the flat glass).

I clean the corners vertically and it does get close to the curve, but I am unable to clean the curve itself using the nimble - I can only get in there with the handheld scraper.

*shrugs*

Oh, and to those of you that mention using the other side to "pick" the magnet up if it falls- be VERY careful about doing this, as the 2 magnets snapping together could easily crack the glass, and also - sand can get stuck in the fallen magnet and you could unknowingly scratch your tank.

energy_crisis
03/22/2006, 08:06 PM
Yes, do be careful using the outside peice to pick up the dropped inside peice. I usually don't hold it up to the glass, I kind of hold it away so that it moves the magnet up to the glass then move it in a way so that it doesn't snap...it's kind of tricky but better than reaching in.

Paladin
03/22/2006, 09:01 PM
I agree with kewliz and energy_crisis regarding caution when retrieving the fallen magnet. Since the nanocube isn't that deep, I've always just used my fish net. Because the frame of the fish net is metal covered in plastic, I just touch the magnet with the net frame and the magnet sticks to it (I don't even have to "net" the magnet), then I just pull it up without getting my hands wet.

Newreeflady
03/22/2006, 09:23 PM
Paladin, that's a great idea on the fish net!

Well, in the end, i'll probably go with the super-nimble. Unless a floating version comes out before I order:)

-A

schiavonir
03/28/2006, 05:10 PM
I got the Nimble yesterday. I love it! For some reason, I thought it was the same size as the MagFloat, only thinner. I was wrong. It's tiny - about the size of an eraser. But that's great. It gets into all those tight spots I couldn't scrape before. It took off some pretty tough stuff, too.

It goes around the corners of the nanocube easily and I haven't lost it yet. As for cleaning the corners, you have to kinda go up and down on each side. It's a little tricky, but it can clean the rounded corners.

Definitely recommended.

snarkes
03/28/2006, 05:28 PM
Where can I find one? I've got the mag float but it has issues getting some places where the rock is too close to the sides for it to get by.

schiavonir
03/28/2006, 05:31 PM
www.nimblenano.com

snarkes
03/28/2006, 05:42 PM
Schweeet... thanks

Newreeflady
03/28/2006, 09:19 PM
schiavonir, did you get the nimble or the supernimble? Do you think the other has a larger footprint?

Thanks!
-A

schiavonir
03/28/2006, 09:38 PM
I got the Nimble. I'm not sure about the footprint. I looked on the website and can't find any pictures specifically labelled as SuperNimble. Try emailing Jerome at CJerome@nimblenano.com

Paladin
03/29/2006, 10:46 AM
I believe the footprint is the same. The difference is that the super has thicker magnets, thus it has a stronger hold.

Newreeflady
04/01/2006, 10:24 PM
Man, I ordered from Jerome literally 2 days ago and I got the magnet today! I ordered the Super Nimble after an e-mail recommendation from Jerome to go with the Super for the 12g nanocube. This magnet is very strong, does fine around corners, and you can clean the corners with a little work (definitely better than the stock crap magnet!)

So, another happy customer. One note, you may want to go with black or with the "smoke" color to avoid seeing the magnets inside of the cleaner... really, it doesn't bother me, but thought i'd mention it in case someone hadn't thought about it (like me, haha.)

:D
Angela.

ycrazyy
04/03/2006, 08:30 AM
I got mine on Sat. after ordering it on Thurs. Got the super nimble for my 24g nano. I have to say, this magnet is awesome! Cleans everything very easily, not a problem in terms of it being smaller than my MagFloat and does the curved front much better than the MagFloat. The small footprint is also easier to stomach in the tank and I actually like the clear because it doesn't stand out so much like the big white blob of the MagFloat. I highly recommend this magnet!

snarkes
04/03/2006, 09:24 AM
I ordered mine one Friday so hopefully i'll get it today! Cant wait to try it out. Also, I just got a 55 acrylic... has anyone used this on an acrylic tank?