PDA

View Full Version : Added sand and got cloudy water

newreef06
03/21/2006, 02:18 AM
I just added my sand tonight. I used about 20LBS. I put the sand in a bucket. Added water and rinsed it really good. I mixed the salt and added it to the tank. My water is really cloudy and milky color. It was the argonite sand. Its white like beach sand. Has anyone had this problem. Also How long does it take to clear up. Im running a maxi jet 1200 and a AC30 filter. I figure the filter and the power head might clear it up faster. The powerhead is more to move the water.

chocolateblnt
03/21/2006, 03:28 AM
it's normal and might last a nite ... by the time you wake up it'll be super clear ... so go to bed! :P

Jordan55
03/21/2006, 06:44 AM
Add a sponge or two the hang on filter, it should clear up faster than just letting it settle by itself, i.e. a day. Also, clean out the sponges everyday. By day three or so, you should have most of the sandstorm under control.

Goodluck.

newreef06
03/21/2006, 07:07 AM
Thanks guys. I will just let the filter run for a few days. Cant wait to get the tank going

jcopp24
03/21/2006, 11:39 AM
little trick for next time newreefer

put the sand in first lay a platic bag over the top of the sand then poor the water in... then take the bag out... usually avoids the sand storm.

In my nano I put the sand and LR in first then the plastic bag then the water... worked out well