PDA

View Full Version : turning lights off to kill algae?

garod82
03/20/2006, 11:12 PM
Got a really bad algae problem. I went to Vegas for the weekend and I came back and the glass was completely green. I have to wipe down the acrylic every day otherwise you can't see. I heard that if you turn the lights off for a week it will kill alot of the algae. SHould I do this or something else?

NicoleC
03/20/2006, 11:25 PM
Doesn't work, or rather it's a bandaid that does address the root cause. Wiping it off the glass is good nutrient removal -- wipe up and OUT of the tank, rinse your wipe in a bucket of tank water and repeat.

Clean the pumps and powerheads to get your flow up, crank up the skimmer and start prepping water for lots of water changes. That will address the root causes and help get rid of the algae while its still just a little problem growing on the glass and not a first class case of hair algae.

NicoleC
03/20/2006, 11:25 PM
P.S. Check your pH -- a nice high pH seems to help a lot with est algae.

BMitch
03/20/2006, 11:28 PM
How long are the lights on per day?

When were the light bulbs changed last?

What type of water are you using (tap, RO, RO/DI, pre-mixed)?

Does direct sunlight shine on the tank?

Do you have a fuge with macroalgae growing?

Depending on your answers to the above questions, there is likely a problem with water quality.

garod82
03/21/2006, 10:13 PM
lights are on 8 hours
Bubls are 6 months old
Using RO and premixed
No sunlight
Have a fuge

Fignewton
03/21/2006, 10:24 PM
I would cut back your photo period for sure. Don't add anything to the tank, as far as supplements, etc. (if you are). And kick up to weekly water changes, if you don't already, if you do, change a larger amount.

You could also use some carbon fitration as well.

BMitch
03/21/2006, 11:00 PM
How often do you feed and do you feed heavy?

NicoleC
03/21/2006, 11:48 PM
8 hours of lighting -- metal halides or PCs? What wattage?