PDA

View Full Version : How much sand in a 20H

jcm1229
03/20/2006, 02:47 PM
I'm planning a 20H Nano. Just curious what you 20H nano reefers use for sandbed depth.

My main tank is a mixed reef (sps, lps and some rics and zoos). It's been up for 5 years with a 4 inch sandbed. Although Dr. Ron had stated that was too small of a tank for a DSB, I've been sometimes neglectful with water changes and have gone skimmerless for periods. I recently has my first sps failure and ran a full battery of tests with my phosphate at 0 and nitrates at 5. This made me believe that my sandbed must be working. I've also ran a 10g nano before for a year and a half with a 1.5 inch bed and didn't see much difference.

Any thoughts?

aural
03/20/2006, 03:28 PM
i personally dont think that a DSB is neccessary in a nano... not only that, you dont have a ton of room to work with to begin with in a small tank, so no need to take up valuable vertical space with sand.

i'd say a 1.5" sand bed would be plenty.

Nanomaniac
03/20/2006, 04:24 PM
I like a small layer of sand in my nano tanks and even larger tanks also. Around 1-1.5" imo is a good depth.:)

reefeadx
03/20/2006, 04:26 PM
i set-up a 5 gal. corner/bow 2 weeks ago with 3" LS. Fri. i received my LR and did aquascaping all weekend. LOL! in my past experiences iveused diff. amounts of LSB. some with, and some without skimmer. i have a 25 tall with 3"-3.5" BSB with 10 gal. sump containing 6" BSB. my skimmer pulls about 1/4" of skimmate daily. it has 32 lbs. LR. 2-perc. clowns,(small) 1-six line wrasse. (med.) alveopora, kenya trees, goniapora, mushrooms, pollups (various sixes and colors) anenome, feather duster, brain, 1 unknown, really cool coral (stoney) and tons of coralline. (various colors, some plate) it has done great so far w/DSB IMHO its the keeper not the SB.

alien9168
03/21/2006, 04:03 PM
20 pounds.

I have a 30 high and I put 30lb in and it made a nice, fairly deep sand bed. :)

-alien