PDA

View Full Version : Never ending leak with SCWD...

compulou
03/20/2006, 02:02 PM
I'm having a helluva time trying to get my SCWD to stop leaking! It is actually leacking from where the 3/4" black vynal tubing meets the SCWD's barb on the bottom barb, the other two on top don't leak. I am using metal Stainless Steel clamps on each barb. I'm completely stumped. It's running on a CL with 3/4" Hard PVC on a Gen-X PCX 40 pump. Please Help!

Thanks

sales weasel
03/20/2006, 02:10 PM
Hmm, too much pressure? I have a SCWD but haven't taken it out of the box yet. I'm thinking about mounting mine above the sump or even above the tank and hidden by the canopy. That will at least keep the leaks inside the tank.

anjhof
03/20/2006, 02:28 PM
I have had one for almost a year with no leaks. It is hooked up to a quiet one 3000 pump. I have it connected with flex tubing and I have the metal clamps on each connection. How many GPH does your pump push? Sounds like too much pressure may be the problem.

smleee
03/20/2006, 02:36 PM
I would think that the hard PVC and the barb would not mesh well. You may have to cut the barb off to get more surface area to glue your PVC.

eee

kalare
03/20/2006, 03:28 PM
Just put some silicone sealant on the joint and slip your flex hose over it = no more leaks.

smleee
03/20/2006, 04:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6998001#post6998001 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smleee
I would think that the hard PVC and the barb would not mesh well. You may have to cut the barb off to get more surface area to glue your PVC.

eee

Ah, I think I didn't understand correctly....

eee

Mdoug25
03/20/2006, 04:06 PM
I have a SCWD and have no problems at all. Actually, I am quite pleased with how well it works. I'm using 3/4" vinyl tubing and 1" stainless steel clamps placed about 1/8" to 3/16" above the single barb on the SCWD. I am pumping with a Mag 9.5 at about 5/6 throttle and the squid is located at about 2 feet (vertical) above the pump.

The SCWD housing is made from two plastic halfs melted together which if your using hard tubing or pretty rigid tubing may cause two problems that I can think of 1.) the joining process may leave a excess amount of plastic along the seem which will cause a gap between the ID of the tube and the OD of the SCWD allowing water to leak past the barb 2.) the inlets/outlets may not be perfectly round and therefore will not match the ID radius of your plumbing.

The first problem can be solved by sanding the OD of the SCWD smooth. (Not the barb, just any excess plastic along the seam.) The second problem may be best solved my switching to softer tubing.

-MD

compulou
03/20/2006, 05:35 PM
Well the problem isn't between the Hard PVC and the hose, the problem lies where the Hose meets the SCWD's barb.

I even have tried PVC glue with no luck (I have two spare SQWD's).

I think it is too much pressure even though the actual SCWD is rated up too 1400gph maybe the connection is not?

I don't know, I'm about to say screw this return two of the SCWD's and buy an OM Squirt 2 way with the bypass. I need an extra connection for my eventual chiller anyways.

Anyone have any experience with the OM Squirt 2 Way?

Thanks all

kellymm7149
03/20/2006, 05:39 PM
a little silicone should do it i run mine off a mag 12 theres a hose barb screwed onto the mag between the mag and the sqwd theres a 4" piece of 3/4"vinyl hose with stainless steel hose clamps it has never leaked

bassnman11
03/20/2006, 08:50 PM
I have had no problem with mine leaking. Have you tried switching out with one of your others? I would venture to guess you have a leaking seam in the scwd just abobe the barb.

sjm817
03/20/2006, 09:11 PM
I had one that leaked where the the two halves are fused together. It was a very small leak that sealed itself after a few days. I saw another post with the same problem. They may have had a bad run of them. I had other issues with it, and replaced it with an OM Squirt 4 way. Couldn't be happier with it.

compulou
03/20/2006, 11:58 PM
Yup I swapped it out with one of the other spares I had and same thing. Even in the same spot.

SJM,

I was looking at the OM Squirt but I only need a two way. I was talking to Paul of OM and he said best bet would be to go with a 4 Way OM Squirt and he would make it a two way and I'd get it with the bypass which I could use to plum in my chiller later on any ways how's that sound?

Thanks again everyone