PDA

View Full Version : How much sand and live rock for a 10gal

newreef06
03/20/2006, 12:21 AM
How many pounds of liverock and sand should I get for my 10 gallon nano. Also live rock 1st. Then the sand and then the water. Also whats the best way to rinse out Argonite sand. I have about 42 LBS of it in the bag it came in

d1hotblaze
03/20/2006, 01:33 AM
idealy you should have 15-25lbs of live rock(1.5lbs per gal is a good rule)...as far as rinsing the sand get a 5 gal home depot bucket pour the sand into that w/ some water allow to settle then scoop the sand this is only an effective method for small tanks...you can expect it to be cloudy for at least a cople of days... you add the live rock after the sand and water have been added and the water has started to clear up ...the reason for this is that you dont want all the sand and silt sitting on you live rock....here is a link to the sand bed calulator(http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/SandBed.php)

Newreeflady
03/20/2006, 02:18 AM
Sand first! then put a plate on the sandbed and pour your water gently on that to minimize sand storm.

I think 25lbs of live rock with be extreme in a 10g. I would go with your instincts. Do you like to have some open space, or all rock?

-A

newreef06
03/20/2006, 03:20 AM
Wouldnt 25LBS Be alot for the tank. The tank is 20X10X12. I guess you could do a cool. The tank is empty right now. I will do the sand then the rock