PDA

View Full Version : Unique ideas to catch damsels

matthewmc
03/19/2006, 06:34 PM
I have 2 4 stripe damsels in my tank that I want to get rid of. I had tried the water bottle fish trap as well as a speciman container. Other than getting a fish hook and fishing line does anyone have any unique ideas to catch these 2? Thanks in advance.

pyroskennels
03/19/2006, 07:26 PM
i caught my domino using a piece of plexiglass to creat a triangle in the corner. Put it in there and started to feed inside the triangle wasnt long before he went in and i moved it so he couldnt get out . then got the net and caught him. This took a little time but nothing is easy especially in a reef. Now the little bugger that killed my cbb lives in my sump all by himself.

spotfin
03/20/2006, 08:43 AM
I have a large conch shell in my tank. When I needed to get the damsels out, they headed for the shell to hide before I got the tank cover off. Just picked up the shell and took it out of the tank. Held a net below the opening of the shell and out popped the damsel into the net.

calvinreef
03/21/2006, 02:14 AM
I hand catch all fish in my tank in the middle of the night. 3 hrs after light out, I on the light suddenly, fishes got light shock and confused for 15 min. enough for me to catch 1 flame angel, 1 YT, 1 BT and 2 clown.. couldn't be easier.

bosborn1
03/21/2006, 08:21 AM
That light trick sounds like it might stress out the corals as well. Have you had any problems with things not opening back up when the light cycle resumes?? Otherwise I might try that to catch my YT.

Scott

dochoot
03/21/2006, 10:53 AM
Cyanide.

moogoomoogoo
03/21/2006, 12:45 PM
I use the acrylic specimen cantainer tha Drs. Foster and Smith sell. The key is you have to place it in the tank several days prior to the planned abduction for the fish to get used to it and not spooked.

bigbris1
03/21/2006, 03:38 PM
I completely ripped my 55 gal reef apart the other day trying to catch an evil blue devil. He eventually hid in a rock & I lifted the rock out of the tank.

I put him in the freezer & fed him to my purple reef lobster the next day.

oooh yeah

Redfish
03/21/2006, 05:17 PM
Buy an AquMedic fish trap. They work like a charm.

I did everything known to man short of tearing apart my tank to get three lyretail anthias out. I spent hours trying different techniques.

I put the Aquamedic trap in on Saturday night. On Sunday morning I caught all three in less than one-half hour. You have to use the trap to truly appreciate the actual design. Not all are created equal.

matthewmc
03/21/2006, 05:24 PM
I fed flak today and when they came up to eat, WHAM... I caught one and then ripped my tank apart for the second. Took them to the LFS for live feeders. They are lucky they did not get a FW dip in the toilet.

calvinreef
03/23/2006, 01:16 AM
never notice any changes in the coral next day.. except some SPS show better PE due to no more flame angel..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7004107#post7004107 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bosborn1
That light trick sounds like it might stress out the corals as well. Have you had any problems with things not opening back up when the light cycle resumes?? Otherwise I might try that to catch my YT.

Scott

petermai
03/23/2006, 03:45 AM
i've done the light trick also to get my blue damsel out. quick and easy.

ckoral
04/07/2006, 12:53 PM
I have a lot of rock work so I bought a really nice acrylic fish trap off ebay. Seemed like I could catch any fish I wanted but not that damsel. Those buggers are SMART. I tried pellet, flake, clam, daphnia. When nothing was working I trapped every fish that went in and put them in the sump so they would not disrupt my fishing process. The instant I put mysis in the trap my cleaner ran in, then the damsel went into it right away. I never thought the food would have mattered, but they are very partial to mysis apparently.

ckoral
04/07/2006, 12:54 PM
also, some fish react to mirrors. You could try putting one on the side of the tank with the trap in front of that.

Tyrosinase
04/07/2006, 01:12 PM
I put a net, which contained food, into the tank and let it sit there until the fish swims in. Once the fish was in the net I simply scooped it out. I found that this works better after a few days of not feeding the tank at all. If you try this technique you are going to have to be patient. You may have to let the net sit in the tank and step away. Once the fish swims into the net walk up to the tank slowly, so as not to scare the fish back out of the net, and scoop the fish out of the tank.

I have caught several Damsels and tangs using this technique.