PDA

View Full Version : which clown to breed?

gemini aquarius(t)
03/19/2006, 05:46 PM
hi im new to breeding and before i started the whole ordeal i wanted to know which clown should i breed :
tomato
occellaris
purcula
onyx
maroon

please tell me which is easyest and which is hardest and which is best financual return

Brock Fluharty
03/19/2006, 05:58 PM
Occy!!! Either ocellaris, or percula, but ocellaris is hardier.

gemini aquarius(t)
03/19/2006, 06:27 PM
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT EACH OF THESE GOES FOR AT WHOLESALE

phender
03/19/2006, 08:25 PM
In SoCal the going rate is between 5-7 dollars each. It depends a little on who you sell them to.

You could get more for the onyx if you sold them yourself to hobbyists, but for the wholesale price it probably wouldn't be that much more.

David M
03/20/2006, 01:13 AM
It's not so much a question of what they sell for (all about the same anyway) but one of how many you can sell. You can sell all the ocellaris you can possibly raise. You will have tomato's & maroons old and grey before you are lucky enough to find some kind soul who will take them for free, IF you don't have to pay them to do it. Sad but that is how it is. I have gsm's at one year, the oc's are gone at 3-4 months. At market size percs and oc's are all the same so you can sell them too, but what I am told is that it takes a lot longer to get them there. So the short answer is- if you want to breed as a hobbyists pick what you like but if you want to breed for profit choosing ocellaris is a no-brainer :D

BTW, Glad to see you here and don't forget your open invite :)

Bluetangclan
03/20/2006, 09:31 PM
I dont know about there, but Black clowns (I think onyx) are big sellers here along with the fore mentioned ocellaris and percs. The lesser demand ones you might be stuck with for awhile. They arent on your list but you cant give pink skunk clowns away lol thus proving the just because its aquacultured doesnt mean its wanted theorum.

gemini aquarius(t)
03/23/2006, 10:59 PM
ok cool sounds like occys are the winners

thanks guys and david thanks for reminding me about the invite

Atticus
03/24/2006, 09:59 AM
I would suggest multiple pairs of ocellaris to start and then add a few other pairs you like later on.

Ocellaris are one of the easiest to get spawning, easiest to grow out, and easiest to sell. They are the perfect choice. Any other species should be done solely as a hobby or for the love of a species as you won't find as much of a positive return on them and they will provide more hurdles.

Luis A M
03/24/2006, 10:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7029839#post7029839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Atticus

Ocellaris are one of the easiest to get spawning, easiest to grow out,

I have to disagree here,based IME.
I found clowns difficult to get spawning,and ocellaris very difficult.I currently keep 10 pairs since more than two years,and only one is spawning.
Grow out time is longer too,tomatos,clarks and maroons attain a decent selling size at 4 months,while ocellaris take six and up to one year for full size.

David M
03/24/2006, 09:40 PM
Grow out time is longer too,tomatos,clarks and maroons attain a decent selling size at 4 months,while ocellaris take six and up to one year for full size.

Luis, that is because you are South of the equator where everyting is upside down :lol: :rollface: :lol:

That just isn't the case for most of us, in fact the oc's I'm growing out now will probably get sold at 12-14 weeks. Are you sure those aren't percula your'e mad at ?? :D

Atticus
03/24/2006, 09:45 PM
I was thinking the same thing as David. Your situation sounds like percula or black Ocellaris.

Luis A M
03/25/2006, 01:16 AM
Experiences are unique,like women:worried:
Though they donĀ“t come upside down over here :lol:

jiggy
03/25/2006, 03:41 PM
anyone ever breed snowflakes or picassos? i want to see what second generation snowflakes look like.. or are they sterile?

David M
03/25/2006, 03:48 PM
I have a young pair, it will be while I'm sure. :D

jacob30
03/26/2006, 08:35 AM
Black ocellaris are also a very good choice.