PDA

View Full Version : Just got two new small Clowns. Ones investigative, the other hangs low to the bottom

captpete
03/19/2006, 08:35 AM
Last night I purchased two new small tank raised Clowns. The tank is 20 gal fish only tank with about 20 lbs of live rock in it. It's been cycled and had three Blue Devil Angels in it previously to cycle it. I acclimated them for about an hour last night floating the bag and putting a shot glass of tank water into the the bag every 15 min. They both hung together in the same spot for about 10 min. Then one swam around the entire tank investigating. The other seems to hover about an inch or two off the bottom. This morning it's the same thing. The one likes to swim all over but eventually comes back to the one that's hovering. I overed some flake food and the one that's swimming around more snubbed his nose at it. Today I'm going to pick up some other Marine Foods like Mysis shrimp. The one that hovers doesn't seem to be breathing heavy just sort of nervous. Is this just a getting use to the new environment?

clord
03/19/2006, 09:29 AM
All my clownfish that hovered died in 1-2 weeks. I would look at his poop to make sure its not white stringy. You may want to treat for worms just as a precaution. All my my clownfish were tank raised too but still had worms.

captpete
03/19/2006, 09:47 AM
If he doesn't come around in two or three days? Should I take the fish out of the tank so as to not affect the other Clown in the tank with any possible internal parasites? And just get a replacement?

captpete
03/19/2006, 12:37 PM
I just saw that the fish that seems to be moving around more has clear stringy feces. Since these are the only two fish in the tank with 20 lbs of live rock. Should I attempt to treat them in this tank? The are not eating. I attempted to give them Mysis Shrimp, and some Brine Shrimp. Seemed to be interested at first and then nothing. HELP.

stykthyn
03/20/2006, 02:09 AM
if you can get them out without stressing them, then I would. Whatever medication you put in the tank will seriously disrupt your biological filter, and since your tank is new it wont take much for it to crash. What I would do is fill a 10 gallon tank with water from your 20. Try and get the fish at night while they are asleep so they dont stress, treat your QT tank with formalin and if you dont see any reesults try a copper based medication. try feeding them some live brine that has been soaking in selcon or vita-chem. i have found this is like crack for wild clowns, if they are strong enough they wont ignore it.