PDA

View Full Version : Nano-Skimmer?

Fuegofish777
03/18/2006, 03:31 AM
Hello everyone,
I just bought a "Fission" nano-skimmer and was wondering if anyone else has used them. i should have asked this before but i rarely get to go to the lfs that carries them so i just picked it up. its made by Current USA. upon intallation it immediatley didnt work but i think that was due to my lack of finess with all things "nano". ;) i managed to overhaul it alittle, the stock pump was a little too wussy for me. seems to be working decently, only been running for an hour so i'll post updates. Any one else running one? are there any other commercially available skimmers that fit into 12 gal nano cube?

Fuegofish777
03/18/2006, 09:06 PM
bump*

Flusher
03/18/2006, 09:34 PM
I've got one of these coming in the mail:

http://www.petsolutions.com/Fission+Nano+Protein+Skimmer-I-42908100-I-.aspx

I'm hoping it works...

How is yours doing?

Giovanni
03/19/2006, 12:21 AM
Flusher,

Where do you plan to put yours?

Fuegofish777
03/19/2006, 10:22 PM
seems to be working alright. i upgraded to a maxi-jet though, and i used a regular airline hose instead of that puny one. works better now :)

banditfl
03/20/2006, 12:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6993901#post6993901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fuegofish777
seems to be working alright. i upgraded to a maxi-jet though, and i used a regular airline hose instead of that puny one. works better now :)

I just installed one in my 10 gal. still workig on adjusting it. I am interested in your max-jet mod. Any pictures of how you set it up?

Dastank
03/20/2006, 01:21 AM
I'm looking into the same skimmer. Any advice?

fella1320
03/20/2006, 07:33 PM
Im Taggin along on this one two im thinkin abaout gettin one this weekend.

jlocke
03/20/2006, 07:37 PM
I have had the fission skimmer for over a week now. it has yet to produce any protien into the collection cup. I think I will try the maxi-jet powerhead as well and see how that does.

Lakeside518
03/20/2006, 08:00 PM
I have one been running it for 2 weeks now.. Adj. water height and still no skim-mate. I'm kinda fed up with it.. Waste of money I tend to believe.

Thinking I'll go skimmerless with my 12 gal Nano. Setup a Fuge in Compartment #2 with LR rubble and Cheato.

Cut Foam block in half and below that put Chemi-pure or carbon.
I have upgraded my pump to a MJ900 I may goto a 1200 undecided yet.

All my tests come up at Zero.
Cycled with LR for 1 month
Been stocked and running for 1 month.

So 2 months total Run time.

Fuegofish777
03/20/2006, 09:19 PM
sorry i havent responded, i was caught up with school. anyways, i dont have any pics right now but i connected the maxijet with 1/2" clear hose. i have the air hose hooked up the same way as the stock pump (through strainer, although you have to break off one of the little bars to fit air tube). the suction cup mount from the maxijet can support the weight of the skimmer. after some height adjustments, it produced a full cup of skimmate after 3 days. thats really good considering the tank i was testing it on has practically NO bioload and had just done water change. did any of you notice the little drain out the side of the cup? i hooked up another airline to a water bottle, so that way you dont have to worry about checking it everyday. i was surprised that nothing about that was mentioned in the directions. i'll try to get some pics of it up later.

jmccoya
03/20/2006, 09:35 PM
I have one and i do not like it. to much adjusting and messing with it. bout to throw it in the trash.

banditfl
03/20/2006, 11:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7001407#post7001407 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fuegofish777
sorry i havent responded, i was caught up with school. anyways, i dont have any pics right now but i connected the maxijet with 1/2" clear hose. i have the air hose hooked up the same way as the stock pump (through strainer, although you have to break off one of the little bars to fit air tube). the suction cup mount from the maxijet can support the weight of the skimmer. after some height adjustments, it produced a full cup of skimmate after 3 days. thats really good considering the tank i was testing it on has practically NO bioload and had just done water change. did any of you notice the little drain out the side of the cup? i hooked up another airline to a water bottle, so that way you dont have to worry about checking it everyday. i was surprised that nothing about that was mentioned in the directions. i'll try to get some pics of it up later.

look forward to the pics. And what Max-Jet did you use?

Fuegofish777
03/21/2006, 12:38 AM
i just remembered my brother took my camera with him to seattle, so i cant take any pics for a week! sorry. i used the 600 model but im thinkin about going with the 900 instead. the 600 seemed to have lost steam the last 2 days. i'll get pics up as soon as i get my camera back

tripstank
03/21/2006, 01:44 AM
I am running a CSS 65 on the back of my 10 gal, it takes up a little space, but it surely works! Tons of skimmate. I have seen the fissions around, but the reaction chamber seems too tiny. The longer the air is in contact with the water the better. Good luck. I would really like to see some pics of this skimmer working. I have wondered about them myself.

odstar
03/21/2006, 12:59 PM
I have a 24 gal. Aquapod HQI Unit I did purchase a Fission nano Skimmer but after doing a little research and reading forums like this one I decided to just purchase a AquaC Remora. I read great reviews about this HOB skimmer. I should be picking one up today so I will post an update when I get it up and running.

fella1320
03/21/2006, 01:36 PM
interesting because i had bought an aqua C remora pro hob and was very dissapointed with its performance i think i would go with a CSS before the aqua C but i have heard different reviews on the remora. Good luck! my personal favorite skimmer for a good price is the asm if you have the room for a sump i highly recommend this skimmer. also look at the turboflotor 1000 multi it cost a little more than the remora but i think it is a much better skimmer.

odstar
03/21/2006, 03:01 PM
Is that so...Do you have the Remora??? I'll be more then happy to purchase it?

tripstank
03/21/2006, 03:30 PM
The Remoras are pretty loud from what I am told, however I have never seen or heard one run, but I figured I would through in what I heard.

fella1320
03/21/2006, 08:48 PM
sorry i already sold it a while ago it was very quiet though i didnt have any problems with noise. I guess i just didnt have a good experience with a decent skimmer