PDA

View Full Version : Oh Boy...I'm In!!!!

tc
04/17/2002, 11:32 PM
Hi All,
So I've been thinking about this reef thing for a while, but tonight I got a deal I could not pass up. I purchased a 75 gallon tank and stand and canopy for a bargain. Now that creates a whole new world of hurt. My next purchase is a skimmer. I really like the MyReef stuff. MY question is, should I get the MR1 or MR2 knowing I am compulsive about my hobbies. The MR2 will let me upgrade to a bigger tank, but is it overkill at this point? Do you think I should look at other skimmers?
Also, do you think it makes sense to put a calcium reactor on a tank this size?
Thanks,
Tilo
p.s. let’s assume that money is not the decision maker.
p.p.s. I do plan to add a refugiam and sump, which will probably total 125 gallons total.

andycook
04/17/2002, 11:54 PM
Hi;

You bought the same setup I plan on getting in the next 3 months. I'm on my second skimmer now and I'm looking to get a mr-2 when I get the 75 gallon tank. I've spent more on those two skimmers than the mr-2 would have cost me. If you read the posts here, you will see that everyone has a favorite skimmer, though few are really in the position to comment on more than one or two kinds. Between the lines in many of those skimmer posts is the message that you should spend good money only once and get the biggest skimmer you can afford. That said, you might look at the precision marine or the tunze skimmers being equal to the mr line (I base that on research on the web and not actual use).

-Andy

dattack
04/18/2002, 01:41 AM
Woohoo. I just got a used (4 month?) old Myreef 2 for $200 including the Mag pump! Skimmer kicks arse and I will never have to worry about another skimmer again.:D

Skipper
04/18/2002, 08:11 AM
should I get the MR1 or MR2 knowing I am compulsive about my hobbies. The MR2 will let me upgrade to a bigger tank, but is it overkill at this point? Do you think I should look at other skimmers? If it were me, given a choice between those two, I would get the MR2. Opinions on skimmers are all over the map, but one thing is certain: there are many folks that are very satisfied with MyReef skimmers. I have a friend who uses one and loves it.do you think it makes sense to put a calcium reactor on a tank this size? Well, it depends on what you intend to keep. If you are planning on SPS, I would say yes.

tc
04/18/2002, 08:43 AM
Hi Folks,
Thanks for your input. If I go with the My Reef I will go with the MR2. Just have to do a little more research first.
Skipper- I'm thinking of SPS and Clams, that's why I thought the Calcium Reactor would be a good idea.
Tilo