PDA

View Full Version : refractometer question

BigSkyBart
03/15/2006, 09:58 PM
Dumb newbie question:
All all refractometers the same? (aside from quality/brand issues)
I came across something in late stepdads toolbox. He was a pro mechanic. It's a refractometer, says it's for checking battery acid and coolant, Snap-on brand, I think.
Specific gravities are specific gravities, right?
I'm sure I can post a pic of the gizmo, not sure if I can photo the scale.
Thanks!

stewie24
03/15/2006, 11:04 PM
I believe this wouldn't work as some refractometers are used for various things, and such as perhaps mesuring the density of alcohol, wouldn't be measured in salinity, and might be on a lower (or higher such as 95%) percentage scale.
Stewie

moumda
03/16/2006, 07:19 AM
Be careful! you don't know what's on the old refractometer. I bought one for $50 from fostersmith and am very happy with it.

Saaack
03/16/2006, 02:15 PM
I used to be a mechanic. What you have is either for measuring battery acid (has floating balls inside) or for measuring glycol in antifreeze (has swing arm or floating balls). Either way forget about it. At least go out and spend six bucks and get a cheap swing arm hydrometer. I bought a refractometer from Marine Depot for about 60 bucks.

BigSkyBart
03/16/2006, 02:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6969112#post6969112 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Saaack
I used to be a mechanic. What you have is either for measuring battery acid (has floating balls inside) or for measuring glycol in antifreeze (has swing arm or floating balls). Either way forget about it. At least go out and spend six bucks and get a cheap swing arm hydrometer. I bought a refractometer from Marine Depot for about 60 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antifreeze-Tester-Ethylene-Propylene-Refractometer_W0QQitemZ7553447090QQcategoryZ73165QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Were you the type of mechanic that assumes that all customer complaints were imaginary?
I may not know the difference between types of refractometers, but I darn sure know the difference between a refractometer and a hydrometer (swing arm or floating balls)
Kid has my digicam so I can't get a picture of it, but ebay link above is same mfgr just a newer model of what is on my desk.
I was trying to figure out if the readout scale could be extrapolated for use in reefkeeping.