PDA

View Full Version : Question about red slime

bryang6286
03/15/2006, 09:19 PM
I was told by a friend that I have red slime and that it might be bad for my tank. Anyone know where I can get some info on this stuff. At first I thought it was coraline algae. Wishful thinking huh.

Oh and please do not tell me to utilize the search button cause I have never been able to use it and have tried probably 50 times

diddye
03/15/2006, 09:36 PM
if its a new tank, its very common.

Bebo77
03/15/2006, 09:49 PM
buy red slime remover.. that will take it out....

JenDub
03/16/2006, 01:39 AM
it is cyno bacteria, a phosban reactor, new DI filters (or start using ro/di water instead of tap for topoff) and more frequent water changes (25% per week) will help limit the nutrients it feeds off.

You can add Red slime remover but it will likely come back if you don't fix the cause. It is really common with tanks that are less than a year old

bluenassarius
03/16/2006, 01:45 AM
get some macro algae to compete for nutrients. up the flow a bit and you should be good to go. no need to get the slime remover etc.

GinaSofia
03/16/2006, 01:51 AM
yep,bump up the flow and redirect your nozzles(or add a ph) if you see the cyano growing in low flow areas.

KevinNg
03/16/2006, 11:01 AM
Don't use red slime if you had xenia in your tank. It killed mine. I just such them out with siphon when I do water change and add macro algae in the sum. Now, 2 months later, only 2% left. This way take long time but it's safe. Using chemical will get result faster but get side effects. Like the others said add more current, use ro/di water, and it's alway happen in the new tank.
My new tank is look great now after 6 months.
good luck and be patient.

Hans-moleman
03/16/2006, 03:45 PM
I used boyd chemi-clean when I had a cyano outbreak last year. It didnt kill any of my corals and the cyano is gone within a few days. I started doing more water changes and added another powerhead and the cyano has not return.