PDA

View Full Version : New article about the world's coral reefs bleaching

quiksilver
03/14/2006, 04:19 PM
This is why this hobby is important. Save the world's reefs one coral at a time by providing coral with a safe healthy place to thrive. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060314/sc_nm/environment_coral_bleaching_dc

melev
03/15/2006, 02:02 AM
Bumping the thread for the late nighters.

ratherbediving
03/15/2006, 02:47 AM
Sad article. Stories like that are becoming too common these days I think.

I do think that reefkeeping could help the reefs, though most likely not directly... I don't see hobbyists restocking the reefs in any significant way. However-- people will only protect what they love. Exposing more people to corals and invertebrates will only heighten their appreciation for them.

NCreefwannabe
03/15/2006, 03:42 AM
nice to see another one of these today. Hopefully this one wont turn into the flame war the other one did.

XeniaMania
03/15/2006, 03:54 AM
While keeping corals in the hobby could preserve some and prevent them from going extinct, to me, unless corals start to tolerate higher temperatures, losing reefs in the world is inevitable. We're unable to control the sources that cause global warming, if we were able to, we would have done so already. Not to sound pessimistic, but we worry about one day when the Sun will supernova and how it will impact humans, but I think the end of the human race will be our own doing. Like the dinosaur ages, the ice age, and so forth, humans are just another page in Earth's history. When a 1000 yrs seems long to us, or even 2006 years seems long to us, it's merely a grain of sand in Earth's hourglass.