PDA

View Full Version : Ummm, this is a bad thing to do...

Fischer
04/16/2002, 11:06 AM
I thought I was brilliant - I thought it had to be the best idea in the world for water changes.

oops. :(

I installed a container in the basement directly below my tank (about 11ft diff), purchased a pond pump that sends the water up 12 ft and hooked it all up via a nice remote Controlled power strip from Home Depota nd 1/2" tubbing.

For two weeks this thing has worked wonderful! I fill up the bin in the basement, heat the water and add the salt. I draing 10-15% water out of my tank through a siphon directly to my sump and press the remote control button to start the pump.

No mess - no water on my new carpet - no upset wife.

Well - apparently someone in my neighborhood uses something with the same frequency as my remote control for my pump!

Luckily, the pump was sideways and the container in the basement had been somewhat emptied. AND thanks to evaporation, the tank did not overflow before I heard the pump running in the basement.

Just an FYI for anyone else who has this bright idea - UNPLUG the Remote control power strip when not in use for water changes...

Other than the mild heart attack I had, it sure works great.

:rolleyes:

tyoberg
04/16/2002, 11:13 AM
Whew! Disaster averted!

Philip
04/16/2002, 11:47 AM
hahhaa that's a GREAT idea for quick water changes! but it is pretty funny about the frequency :)

bbrook
04/16/2002, 12:06 PM
I wonder what you started or turned off at your neighbor's house each time you started your pump. Imagine he is sitting there and his TV starts turning off and on.

Fischer
04/16/2002, 12:11 PM
:lol: Hadn't thought of that for some reason.

I know one of our neighbors asked us to switch our Baby monitor freq. cause he kept hearing the baby (and whatever else we were doing)

I oughta walk through the neighborhood with the remote and just keep pressing it until I see something funny happen. ;)

Albert Jeffers
04/16/2002, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the world of 2.4 GHZ. Everything runs on it now.....

Philip
04/16/2002, 07:20 PM
you could always get a float switch and leave the pump in a second bucket of freshwater and just switch it for changes?

Skipper
04/16/2002, 08:38 PM
In the March issue of Reefkeeping, (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/jg/index.htm) Jon Garner wrote:

"This is the main disadvantage to the X10 power control system. Some controllers re-send the commands on a regular basis as a means to overcome this problem. Sometimes, you can get involved in X10 conflicts with your neighbors. For example, if a neighbor is using the same house code as you are, you can inadvertently turn each other's X10 modules on or off. Try changing your house code for the controller to solve this problem. If that does not work, then filters are available which will eliminate this conflict. If some of your modules respond, and others do not, try turning on an electric oven or electric clothes dryer. If this fixes your problem, you need a phase bridge. The phase bridge couples the X10 commands between the two 120VAC phases that make up 220VAC."

This may help your situation with the neighbor. :D

Fischer
04/16/2002, 09:41 PM
Jeffers:

Yeah, I know! Every time my wife answers the 2.4Ghz phone, my wireless network goes down! :furious:

I change my WAP channel and both our phones "seek and destroy" my network

I wonder if when the phone rings, my pump turns on? hehe

X10 scares me for all of the above reasons...

honeybee
04/16/2002, 10:33 PM
Hi,

I use the same type of system (manual contol) to change water in my two reefs. Never a mess on the floor (upstairs or down stairs).

Frank

Cakepro
04/17/2002, 03:33 AM
Brilliant idea and great story! I'm glad it didn't have a bad ending.

You really have to watch it with cordless phones and baby monitors. We could hear our neighbor's phone conversations through one of the baby monitors. :D

LOL ~~ I LOVE the idea of walking around your neighborhood pressing the remote!

~ Sherri

:eek1: EEEEKKKK! I just thought about all of my neighbors hearing me talk, um, how to say this...unbashfully to my husband. Oh my gosh...what a thought!! :eek1: Now I'm going to be paranoid. LOL :D NO more risque conversations on the phone, I guess! :D :D :D