PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers for a 10 gal nano.

pscheel
04/15/2002, 08:23 PM
O.K. everyone. I'm planning a 10 gal. nano. What skimmers do you recommend. I'm thinking about taking my Bak Pak off the 55 and upgrading the 55 to a Remora Pro or do you think a Prism will be better for the nano? TIA.

Physh1
04/15/2002, 10:12 PM
In my opinion I think going skimmerless is easiest. I just run an aquaclear 150 w/ sponge and carbon. You could try a skilter HO skimmer or maybe a prizm. The BP might be too tall but could work if it fits. I like keeping the equipment out of site and the SP won't do that. I'd go prizm if I had to do it....

Cameron

Mr James
04/16/2002, 07:36 AM
Right on Physh1!! I have a 10g nano in my office at home and I run it skimmerless. I also run an aqua-clear on it with the occasional carbon sponge filter. I have an el-cheapo skimmer that is meant for that tank, but do not run it. Regular water changes to my 10g, as well as my 5.5g, keep the water at it's best!!

Lunchbucket
04/16/2002, 09:41 AM
good call guys :D

i would also vote skimmerless. 15-20% water change EVERY WEEk will do just fine :D

later
Lunchbucket

Physh1
04/16/2002, 11:20 AM
I think a weekly small change is a good idea and when you get the in's and out's of your tank you may be able to extend that. I do a gallon change every 3 weeks and all is well so far....

Cameron

tyesmithND
04/16/2002, 11:36 AM
pscheel,

Sorta off the subject but about two months ago I switched from the CPR Bakpak to an Aqua C Remora Pro on my 75 g. MUCH BETTER. Thumbs up on the Remora PRO. I know it is much bigger (I got the MAG 3 pump) so it takes up a little more tank room but the preformance is well worth the eye sore. The others have did a great job answering your nano question but if you still want to make the switch on your 55 go for it.

pscheel
04/16/2002, 05:06 PM
O.K. you guys convinced me. It just so happens I have an aquaclear 150 when it was FW. (No copper was ever used in the tank) Do you think that it will provide enough water movent or should i go with a small power head. I will be using it for SPS.

gas4544
04/16/2002, 06:13 PM
Check out this thread first:

http://WWW.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=69688&highlight=SKIMMER

As you will see, about half the nano reefers polled are using skimmers.

Marco
04/16/2002, 08:33 PM
I agree with skimmerless also. I too use a hang on the back filter for carbon 1 week a month. I change a gallon of water a week and employ alot of macroalgea. Seems to work well for me.