PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone noticed Southdown changed their label to include not for Aquarium use...

95GalReef
04/15/2002, 12:49 PM
It's still safe for you children to play in though...what a joke

KW-Reefer
04/15/2002, 02:20 PM
Hey;

I have read that they did this because they do not use seperate equipment to package thier product.So there is chances of contamination with the other products that they sell.I guess it is just covering their butts!
Alot of people use it with no ill effects so I can't see them stopping because of a lable.I don't use the stuff and there is another company that does sell it cheaper then Caribsea as I'm sure you know.It is meant for aquarium use.

HTH

Keep Reefin'

K-W

ajx22
04/17/2002, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by 95GalReef
It's still safe for you children to play in though...what a joke

I was told by Cemex (manufacturer) a few months ago that they were going to do this. I guess they did.

In respect to the purification process that CaribSea and Pure Caribbean Aragonite do to their sand - it's also due to Cemex being a commercial construction company - that also deals with fertilizers and other things that COULD contaminate the sand (either in their warehouses or at any Home Depots - it's just cand after all, and could be stored with ANYTHING near/on it. Any contaminates would be washed away by the rain, etc. in a sandbox...and would be in very low quantities to start with...but as we all know, a few parts per million can be very bad in our tanks.

This is just what was told to me - so I'm just restating this info.

Cheers...

asmujica
04/17/2002, 12:08 PM
DOes the bag say where it is packaged?

I live in México and I have a Cemex plant nearby.....

Cakepro
04/20/2002, 10:27 PM
If they were smart, they'd see it as a money-making opportunity and market clean sand to us reefers instead of making us purchase it clandestinely (or conceal our intended use, rather). Dummies.

~ Sherri :D

ajx22
04/21/2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Cakepro
If they were smart, they'd see it as a money-making opportunity and market clean sand to us reefers instead of making us purchase it clandestinely (or conceal our intended use, rather). Dummies.

~ Sherri :D

I hear ya!!

From my conversations with Jim from Pure Caribbean Aragonite - the cleaning process is quite extensive and costly - which would account for the limited number of companies processing and selling "For Aquarium Use" grade sand...

I however, am not involved in this sector of the hobby - and am only stating my opinion of the situation. I too wish that it was cheaper all around...for me and my customers too.

Call/e-mail Jim for some more info as I really don't know much more then I've already posted.

Good luck...

73ChargerFan
04/21/2002, 01:58 AM
I read a while back that someone went to the plant and purchased a truck load of sand directly. While there, the plant manager said something like "don't tell me its for an aquarium because CaribSea has an exclusive agreement for aquarium sand, and we're not allowed to sell it to anyone else for aquarium purposes."

I still wish I could get it here in California.

150reef
04/21/2002, 05:36 PM
Hey Anthony, nice name!!! Oh and nice car!!! Thats weird, same name and same hobbies, I have 2 1970dodge challengers!!!
Its mopar or no car, lol....

Not sure what to make of the Southdown Sand. I have 15 bags sitting in my basement. I am converting my 150gal over to a DSB with all Southdown. I hope I don't have any problems. Any one have anything negative to say about Southdown, except that it is so darn cheap compared to the aquarium sand?:eek1:

Anthony

MickAv8r
04/21/2002, 11:08 PM
Carib Sea and Southdown are one in the same for all intents and purposes. The sand is bought from the same supplier (AES, Ft. Pierce, FL) and thus there is supposedly a non-compete agreement in place hence the bag label.

Read this thread:

http://www.reefs.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=035813

and this thread:

http://www.reefs.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=035783