PDA

View Full Version : How Long Reefs Last Without Electricty

joefish
04/14/2002, 09:07 PM
I was wondering how long my reef would last if I loose power.I have never lost it longer then 7 hours, before my tank.But hey you never know for the next time might be longer.
:eek2: :eek1: :eek2:

Agu
04/15/2002, 08:49 AM
Depends on the tank ! A heavy bioload will reduce the amount of time a tank can handle a power outage. Another reason to go with minimal fish stocking!!

A battery powered airstone available at fishing and/or bait stores can extend the time a tank can handle an outage by aerating the water.

Agu

Frick-n-Frags
04/15/2002, 09:38 AM
Did you miss the generator post?? They talked about a Coleman for $299 at Sam's club. No juice is not an issue with a generator. It's on my list.

My tanks did 24 hrs once, but I have only one fish in 200+ gallons. I freak out more about all the ballasts and powerheads freaking out when the power comes back on. Jeeez I hate that.

gcvt
04/15/2002, 09:59 AM
I recently survived an 8-hour outage on a really cold day and it wasn't easy. Things were looking very grim as far as water temperature was concerned, so I ran about 100' of extension cords down 4 stories to the garage, into my truck, into an AC/DC converter that was plugged into the cigarette lighter. I ran a 200w heater and a powerhead this way for about 5 hours. But I had to go down and run the engine every half hour.

I'm buying a generator very soon. I think my local HD sells the Coleman Pulse 1850 for $399.