PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know where I can locate some cheap sand?

saltyseaman
03/07/2006, 05:09 PM
I'm planning on being in your area next week, so I figured I would ask you guys.

I am planning on reverting back to a DSB, as long as a I can find an affordable way of doing it. I need 200lbs or so. Does anyone know of any southdown in the area? Or better yet, is anyone planning on going barebottom and want someone to take their sand :) ? Any other ideas on where to get sand cheap/free?

Thanx for any help here.

ZAK

pk1
03/07/2006, 05:14 PM
I have 2 buckets or so from my old 55gl laying around, you can have it for free if you like. I just scooped it out...would definitly need a GOOD cleaning :)

Rod Buehler
03/07/2006, 05:24 PM
If someone is ditching their sand for a BB, I dont think i would want that sand, because the odds are thatthe bed wasnt set up properly to begin with, and they had problems with it. If they didnt have problems with it, they would have probably kept it.

pk1
03/07/2006, 05:28 PM
Oh mine wasn't removed becuase of any problems...I moved, and set up a new tank--it was much easier and safer to just set up the new tank with new sand.

PK

jjjimmy
03/07/2006, 07:59 PM
North Ave. beach???

saltyseaman
03/08/2006, 03:36 PM
Thanx for the offer PK, but I'm gonna pass on any sand that was once live and is now dead and full of organics ready to decay. I think that would be a pretty descent recipe for problems. But, I appreciate the offer!

Point taken, Rod (and a good point at that). Thanx for the input. I am planning on doing a saltwater rinse on any sand that will be going in my aquarium. I think with enough stirring to get the detritus out, I should be OK. ........ At least I hope! I don't have too many SPS anymore, so I'm really not that concerned. I think the stuff I do have left is hardy enough to withstand almost anything.

Jim- If this were some North Avenue in the Florida Keys, I'd be all over that :) .

softbal4
03/08/2006, 03:39 PM
how about just bags of araganite sand. that is what i used and just seeded off a friends tank. the cost was less then $1.00 per lb. i picked up 30 or 40 lb bags.

saltyseaman
03/08/2006, 03:54 PM
I would do that, if it wasn't going to cost me at least $100. I'm looking to save some $. If there were some southdown around that would be perfect! But, I'm not willing to pay the pet store prices for their "name brand" sand if I can avoid it, and the south down search is going nowhere. . ..

softbal4
03/08/2006, 03:57 PM
i search high and low for southdown. there is a posting on this site that goes back for at least a year with the serial numbers etc. no stores in this area or within 100 miles has it. i searched for about 10 days and came up with nothing. some local reefers have some stashed. that may be an option.

saltyseaman
03/08/2006, 04:15 PM
Well, if there are any reefers stashing away some southdown in the area, you have your buyer!! (me :) )