PDA

View Full Version : lifereef overflow. flow rate help.

xboxhacker
03/05/2006, 06:56 PM
I have a lifereff overflow with a durso standpipe in it. It drains sraight down to my sump no elbows. It drains from a 1 inch line. How can i get the flow rate to match a mag drive 7? I got it working okay but the mag 7 drains the sump to fast. Any help would be great. Tia

Toddrtrex
03/05/2006, 08:32 PM
You could put a ball valve on the return line between the Mag 7 and the tank, just dial it down, until the flow rates are matched.

As you can see with my setup -- the blue ball valve is turn just a bit past full open (vertical) to match the flow. BTW - I am using a lifereef overflow too.

HTH

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/30gsump.jpg

sjm817
03/05/2006, 09:44 PM
The LR can easily keep up with a Mag7 and a lot more. The Durso must be restricting the flow. A Durso in an HOB overflow is not a good fit (literally). Try a Stockman or other standpipe type.

jmccalip
03/05/2006, 10:04 PM
I have the exact same problem. I'm using a Lifereef Single Overflow with a Eheim 1260(600GPH!) and it can't keep up. I've tried using a Stockman and a HGB, but nothing works. I know how you feel.

xboxhacker
03/05/2006, 10:24 PM
can i remove the standpipe? Not worried about noise.

xboxhacker
03/05/2006, 10:27 PM
isnt restricting flow creating backpressure and reducing life span pf pump?

sjm817
03/06/2006, 07:08 AM
I run a LR single and an Eheim 1260. I tried a Stockman, and it could not keep up. I got sick of messing with it and made a DIY "swiss cheese" standpipe. Works great.

jmccalip
03/06/2006, 08:46 AM
Do you have pics?:wave:

cateyes
03/06/2006, 01:25 PM
yeah,, we need some pics....

jmccalip
03/06/2006, 01:28 PM
Pretty please?:idea:

:lol:

Phillips
03/06/2006, 01:31 PM
If you're going to restrict flow using a ball valve, it would be best to plumb a "T" off the line back to the tank which would go to the sump. The ball valve would go on the line going to the sump, and by restricting this line, water would go "back up" up the return. This way you don't cause undo pressure on the pump or your plumbing which could cause a catastrophic leak.

Return
to Tank
|
"T" - ball valve - to sump
|
pump

I hope that makes sense.

I had this same problem with my Lifereef overflow w/ Stockman standpipe. The pump I bought over powered the overflow. The weak point to this plan is if the ball valve clogs, my tank will over flow, so it's best NOT to close the ball valve to the point where overflow and pump are exactly matched up. Let a little extra water go to the sump, and keep that ball valve clean.

Anyway, that was my solution.:rolleyes:

charley75
03/06/2006, 02:27 PM
I have been using a Lifereef slim-line single for over 3 yrs now. Honestly, it's never handled as much flow as it's suppose to. Don't get me wrong......I've never had a problem with it. I've tried everything under the sun to shut the thing up too. What I'm using now is a modified durso...I'll try to take a pic for you when I get home.
As far as restricting flow from a pump, I've always been told to restrict the output, never the intake side of the pump.
Charley

sjm817
03/06/2006, 02:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6891269#post6891269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmccalip
Do you have pics?:wave:
Late tonight if I have time (I doubt I will). Its nothing difficult. Just use a piece of 1" PVC, and swiss cheese the heck out of it. Make it about the same height as the sponge. Put a cap on it and drill a small hole the size of airline tubing. Having the airline is key. Slide the airline down just until the noise stops. Works great for me. I also run the sponge outside of it, but it works either way. Mine easily keeps up with the Eheim 1260.

If you want to use the sponge, here is another simple idea. Use the short little standpipe it comes with and the sponge. Put a short piece of 1" PVC in a cap and do the same with the hole and the airline tubing.

jmccalip
03/06/2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the reply

A picture is worth a 1000 words:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/stampeder1/DSCF0991.jpg

I made that 1" thinwall pvc swiss cheese and the pump was still faster. I had the top drilled for normal airline tubing. If I take the cap off and let it gurgle(REALLY LOUD) it will handle the pump no problem.

jmccalip
03/06/2006, 09:33 PM
I made a 1.5" standpipe and that helped a little. I still throttled it back for now, but I would really like to know how to run it wide open without flooding.

brad23
03/06/2006, 10:00 PM
So you just put this cut up peace of PVC over the exsiting bulkhead that has a small peace of plastic sticking up and out of it? How does this increase flow?

I made the mistake of putting a mag 9.5 on mine and I have it turned down to half all the time.

doox00
03/06/2006, 10:00 PM
hate to do it but whenever I see the named XBOXHACKER I must ask, where are my bulbs I paid for and never received, why do you not respond to any pms?!? Where is that tracking number you claimed you left at work and could not give me almost one and half weeks ago?

jmccalip
03/07/2006, 11:26 AM
bump

sjm817
03/07/2006, 11:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6900274#post6900274 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmccalip
bump
The one you have in the pic looks like it should work. My swiss cheese one works as well with the 1260. How far do you out the airline down? I put it in just far enough to eliminate the sound.