PDA

View Full Version : Tom

fujimo32360
04/13/2002, 10:37 AM
I just got off the phone with Tom. I Told him a bought this site. He will be in contact.

Zmann
04/13/2002, 12:33 PM
Id have to say that was a really low blow by Millie and Dan. I hope your reading this Tom because I wish you the best of luck even know I dont think you'll need it. If you have the cash flow start your own reef store. I'm sure there's enough people in this reef club to say no to Carribean Forrest and yes to Toms Tunicate Terrace.

saltwaterfishlover
04/13/2002, 12:48 PM
for what its worth I would rather go to Marine Oasis, the shops in buffalo or the the internet than go to Carribean or Tom if he decided to open a shop..
carribean is way overpriced
tom has been rude on numerous occasions and is a true salesman
anything to make a sale..... thats easy to take care of and hardy tooo...
yes he knows his stuff but

Zmann
04/13/2002, 09:23 PM
You must be naive if you think the shops you just mentioned aren't just trying to make sales! Marine Oasis (John) is probably the only one out of those stores you just mentioned that would actually steer you away from a coral or fish that might not do well for you. Don't think for a minute that he's not half salesman half reefer. That's not a blow to John its just reality. That's how these people make a living. If Tommy wasn't a salesman Caribbean would be like Living Seas right now. BROKE

saltwaterfishlover
04/13/2002, 10:23 PM
I didnt mean to imply they also didnt have sales people. I just meant that product, and price of product is better at other places... just because you have a classy joint doesnt mean you get to charge 2-3 times more for something. Every business has to have sales people but blatent liars are another thing. Yes other joints do this but at least they do it with a more believeable smile or just ignorance and if you are uninformed enough to get suckered so be it (been there). Yes John is a owner and true salesmen and needs to make a living but, he is more likely to steer you away from something if he knows it wont work for you. I can at least talk comfortably with john and on occasion get better prices. Price gougeing is another thing. I know everything that is being said here goes on at almost every single fish place in the world but this is local and what I say is my opinion and experiene and what you say is yours, and I respect that. all I am saying is from my 15yrs in salt this particular individual has been having attitude issues for a very long time. Being a good salesman has nothing to do with being rude to the people that make your job be able to pay you. Deal with the customer nice nasty ignorant or pain in the a**. Then go in back and vent about them.

saltwaterfishlover
04/13/2002, 10:27 PM
last comment about this.

if you love him you love him. if you hate him you hate him.
In this hobby/business having such a small clientele bad attitude has no place in customer service.

Zmann
04/13/2002, 10:56 PM
Maybe he didn't like your attitude or you at all and that's why he was rude to you! 15 years of experience I'm impressed:eek1:

saltwaterfishlover
04/13/2002, 11:01 PM
touche' thank you for the shot...I am only rude to close family and friends. that way I can enjoy getting the flack for it and seeing the shock on their faces.

If I was rude to him it was unintentional. If he didn't like me would not his rudeness be consistent? not hey how you doing and sweet then not so sweet the next time being abrupt and discourteous.

ToddsReef
04/13/2002, 11:21 PM
Andy,
While I understand that you are frustrated with Tom's behavior, it is not clear to me why you are publicly bashing him when he is no longer employed at CF. I think that tasteful criticism of any store or employee thereof is reasonable and appreciated by other members of RC and URS when it is intended to make others aware of questionable sales tactics or products, but I'm not sure that this is what you are attempting to do. Tom no longer works at Caribbean Forest or any other store, and you are therefore disparaging an individual and not an employee of an LFS who might in some way lead someone down a path which you feel would be better left untraveled. I think it would be more prudent and beneficial for both the club and for RC if we used this forum for enjoyment and the betterment of the hobby rather than as a place to publicly embarrass individuals.
Todd

_ShotgunShrimp_
04/13/2002, 11:36 PM
its to bad about tom i liked him outta all at CF but since this club has entered my life i have little use for most lfs's... we all know the tactics localy and have heard about others.. its nothing but a thing the club helps all and thats all that matters here... we stick together and we have power... and the fish places all know this... so keep on clubbing and saying no to the high priced deals and only support the people you like to deal with... no matter who it is....

(btw well said todd)

reefaquaria
04/13/2002, 11:42 PM
Todd,
The way I read this thread is Andy has been replying to comments from Zmann, not writing for the sole purpose of disparaging Tom. Yes, he mentioned his opinion about Tom, but also talked about other stores and common business practices, good and bad.
I had a restaurant for 4 years, and I know first hand about how customers should be treated no matter what any personal feelings may be. I also know how bad employees affect repeat business.
And wasn't your reply meant to publicly embarrass him?

ToddsReef
04/14/2002, 12:15 AM
Honestly, I meant to embarrass no one. I was just hoping to help bring to an end a recent trend in this club's forum of what I consider to be distasteful behavior and gossip...I regret to have had my intentions misunderstood.

Todd

saltwaterfishlover
04/14/2002, 08:23 AM
not really sure if an apologie was necessary to me but thank you and a Humble Apologie to all for my statements if they upset anyone. just stateing my opinions and views and replying to other's statements also...

AND NOW ON TO REEFING and PROPAGATION

Zmann
04/14/2002, 08:33 AM
Todd,
I'm sure your statement wasn't meant to make me feel bad about what I have wrote but I do.

saltwaterfishlover,

I apologize for the distasteful shots towards you. I'm not one to keep my mouth shut and usually say exactly what I feel even if it hurts. I don't mean to honestly hurt someone's feelings but just cant help to say what I feel. I have known for about a month now about this gossip and didn't really tell anyone but a close friend who I believed to be trust worthy, which he was, not to spread a non rumor. Unfortunately I did not tell my friend Tom about this because I wasn't sure if it was actually true. Now I don't know whether I did the right thing. The person who actually told a friend of mine that this was going to happen was Chris from Living Seas who is now employed at Caribbean Forest.

I originally posted that I thought what Dan and Millie did was a low blow, well I still do. I have gotten the impression from previous visits to Caribbean Forest that I was receiving an attitude from both Millie and Dan and Tommy but I've come to the realization that no matter how hard you try everyone has their off days. I have also been there a few hundred times where I've received excellent customer service. So all in all I consider them all friends. I have had outside dealings with both Millie and Dan where business wasn't involved and we had a great time together diving and I have also had the opportunity to hang out with Tommy and put down a few and he is a very nice guy and wouldn't hesitate for a minute to have the opportunity to hang out with him again.

Like all posts that are like this one there has to be an end so I'm ending my posting on this subject because I think I've made myself perfectly clear on where I stand. Again I apologize for my comments.

One last comment because I cant resist. I'm sure that Tommy only tried to better Caribbeans profit margin because it was his job and nothing else because if you knew him outside of work you would consider him as a pretty generous person. Any real reefer knows he or she should research their purchase before actually doing so. Even know we all have not done so. So lets stop blaming the salesmen or saleswoman.

Gary Majchrzak
04/14/2002, 10:21 AM
Tom, please plan on dropping by.Gimme a ring,buddy.

ToddsReef
04/14/2002, 11:09 AM
AND NOW ON TO REEFING and PROPAGATION...well put Andy!!!!

Jamie,

Are you planning on being around tonight? If not give me a call...that way I can come over and steal your new fish and shrimp:bum:! As if it wasn't bad enough dealing with the envy of Dave's pair...now you have one too! I'm going to need therapy!

Talk to you guys soon,
Todd

saltwaterfishlover
04/14/2002, 11:14 AM
heheheh maybe more jealousy in few days....
I got a shlimp and wheelers gobie Friday and 2 gorgeous tube corals (sun polyps) black and orange) 22 for orange and 26 for black at night these things are sweet
as soon as I get a new camera will get pix

how do you frag a sun polyp?

Zmann
04/14/2002, 01:11 PM
Shrimp/Goby combo has to be the coolest thing I've ever added to my tank!! I cant stop taking pics of them.