PDA

View Full Version : Seminewbie

Zmann
04/12/2002, 07:52 PM
You got that 10k running yet? You got pics ?

Semi newbie
04/12/2002, 08:56 PM
Yes I do and I was going to write to you and say thanks for the advice. I absolutely love the way the halide looks and in particular that bulb!!!!!!! I am slowly increasing the time it is on so my corals get accustomed. I don't have any pictures because I don't have a digital camera. I really need to get one soon. I am shy to post pictures anyway. You guys have some really awesome set ups and my is still in the all softies phase! I need to hook up with some members and get some really colorful frags to get my tank going. I am watching the temps right now to see what they do. So far the light has only been on 4 hours at a time and the temp went up about 2 degrees. I have a fan on the light and an open top. I could add a fan to blow across the sump but I read in some other post that someone started a fire doing that. (I am sorry I don't remember exactly who said that). I must admit that kind of scared me a little.

dmorel
04/12/2002, 09:07 PM
FWIW, I have a cheap-O clip on fan blowing across my sump.
It's on a controller so comes on only when needed, but that's still a good 4-5 hours a day. So far no fires, and it's a very effective method for cooling.

<disclaimer>
If you put a fan in your sump and it DOES catch on fire, you can't sue me or anything. You can blame me, just don't make me buy you a new house.
</disclaimer>

I still have to add a fan(s) to my hood before summer, but I also intend to "upgrade" to a better cheap-O clip on fan for the sump (gonna splurge this time and spend like ten bucks) as I really think you get a lot of "bang for the buck"

I was going to say something like you should take pics and not to worry about it, but I thought that would cause a lot of weird irony to blast from everywhere as the guy who just spent the evening *****ing because his tank is not pretty enough consoled another.

-dm

Zmann
04/13/2002, 01:01 PM
Semi newbie

Glad to hear your happy with the bulb.
My opinion is that its actually easier growing stonies then softies. Softies seem to look really crappy when they get PO and stonies just pull in their polyps that are usually short. Plus stonies don't shrivel up. The biggest reasons I went with stonies is because of color, easy to frag, easy to mount, I could add more current with out ticking them off which leads to better water quality. I have no softies. 98% sps -1.5% Zooanthids-1%lps

Semi newbie
04/13/2002, 05:35 PM
I was wondering where you are going to get the deluxe clip on fan model??? I looked for one in Home Depot a couple of weeks ago and they didn't have one. Thanks in advance for the help....Lynn

dmorel
04/13/2002, 07:12 PM
Target is my giant chain store of choice. K-mart would do as well.
This is the perfect time of year to buy cheap clip on fans as they have a ton of stock for summer.

-dm

Stoli
04/14/2002, 04:16 AM
Lynn:

As the official, unofficially speaking, lawyer of the club, I feel the need to comment on Dave's assertion that you can't sue him for taking his advice. Just as a trustee has a fiduciary responsibility to protect the pecuniary interests of the beneficiary, Dave has a non-exclusive obligation to clearly and unequivocally limit his exposure to liability prior to advancing himself as a qualified expert in the field of miniature ocean engineering and the maintenance of captive habitats for Cnidae. Immediately upon his offer of advice, Dave stood, ipso facto, in breach of his obligation and therefore became strictly liable to you both under de jure and de facto theories of law.

Just in case anyone is still reading, the foregoing was not meant as legal advice nor was it meant to slander Dave. The entire precediing paragraph is nonsense and is a satirical version of legalese. Lynn, you can't sue Dave for his house, even if his house is really cool. You can however, have one of your children kick him in the shins or, if you prefer, have them kick me in my shins. (Oh sure, everyone wants to kick a lawyer in the shins:) ).

Lynn, if you're still reading, you need find more interesting things to do with your time. (Quick, someone stop him before he keeps talking). I'm in Rochester and I'm learning how to use my digital camera. If you want, I can stop by some time and shoot your tank (with the camera, not a gun).

Whew. So this is what happens to me when I wake up at 4 a.m. after eating too much the night before.

dmorel
04/14/2002, 08:01 AM
The only question I have stoli is what were you eating?

saltwaterfishlover
04/14/2002, 08:27 AM
from the sounds of his ramblings I think it could have been bad knockoffs of garbage plates.... they can do strange things....

ReeferMac
04/14/2002, 09:57 AM
I never had a garbage plate do THAT to me before! I'd definitely say there was something else involved :D

(Oh sure, everyone wants to kick a lawyer in the shins )

Oh, I don't think it's the shin's their aiming for ;-)

Actually, I can honestly say, I haven't had any bad experiences with a lawyer.. 'course I'm young still, and had many occasion's that required an attorney... (knock on wood)

- Mac

Zmann
04/14/2002, 03:43 PM
All that talk about Garbage Plates made me hungry had to go get me one.:)
Covered in Red Hot. I actually have a stomach ache already.

Semi newbie
04/15/2002, 09:24 AM
Hey Stoli, that offer is very nice of you. If you want to practice with your camera feel free to call and stop by. I am a bit gun shy to show you guys my tank though since it really is no where close to some of yours. Like I said in an earlier post I have made some errors and bought some no no inhabitants without the LFS telling me they were no no's! I just don't want to get yelled at!!!!!:)

Stoli, are you a lawyer in Rochester? I really like lawyers since I have 4 of them in my family!!! My dad, my uncle and two of my cousins. Even my neighbor is a lawyer!!!!! You may know my dad, uncle, and one of my cousins. I am willing to bet you know my neighbor. Oh yeah one of my best friends is a lawyer too. Teachers and lawyers seem to run rampant in my life!!!!!!