PDA

View Full Version : Taking Macro Photos for Dummies (->Me<-)

ScubaTC
03/02/2006, 02:46 PM
Hopefully Jameyh will catch this thread and help me out too.

I have the Canon EOS Digital Rebel with the EF-S 18-55mm lens. This lens does not work so great with taking macros of corals in my tank.

I was looking at macro lenses online to see what is available for taking better macro shots while keeping my cost under $300.

Below are the two options that I came up with. I do not have very much knowldge in the field of photography. The links may not work unless you have a logon account with http://www.bhphotovideo.com. This is the site I used to see what is available.

First Option:
EF 50mm f/1.8 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=12142&is=USA)
Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set DG (12, 20 & 36mm Tubes) (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=375102&is=REG)
Second Option:
EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro Autofocus Lens (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=12145&is=USA)

I think the first configuration would be better to go with because the 50mm is a f/1.8 verses the other one f/2.5. Also having the ability to use the various extension tubes alone or in different combinations.

One of the things I am concerned with is trying to get macro shots of corals that are placed in the middle to backside of my tank. The tank's depth is 2'.

Are there other lens options I should consider?

Thanks!

Ocnreef
03/02/2006, 05:06 PM
The one with the smaller focal length should give you better shots. F1.8

Jameyh
03/02/2006, 06:56 PM
OK, my first reaction to your post makes me want to skip right over the 2 options you mentioned and go right for the Sigma 105mm Macro....Can be had used/slightly used on ebay for right at $300....you won't resent that decision one bit. It's a true 1:1 macro it's 2.8mm and it gives the almighty canon 100mm 2.8 a serious run for it's money!! Bhphoto sells it for $379

The 50mm 1.8 option is good if you want to dabble in macro with intentions of 'testing the waters'. Without the extention tubes you can focus to infinity....with the extentions you have to manually move yourself in/out to find the sweet spot. BUT I cannot tell you how awesom that 50mm 1.8 lens is!! Even just to have it in your collection....L quality shots for $80!(canons pro white lenses)...Great portrait lens, super fast, lightweight.

I have very little experience with the 50mm 2.5...I DO know it has a minimum focus length of .8" which is nice...and you'll have to dish out a few more bucks to make it a 'true' 1:1 macro (purchaing the lifesize converter)..

mhurley has both the canon 100mm 2.8 AND the 50mm 2.5 w/ converter....he can tell you which he prefers...last time I spoke to him he was considering selling his 50mm 2.5 combo..might want to pm him...

My $300 goes to a good used Sigma 105mm...hope this helps!!

mpdharley
03/02/2006, 07:29 PM
Jamey, did you mean me instead of mhurley?

I can say that I prefer my Canon 100mm to the 50mm, even with the lifesize converter (for the 50mm). I am, in fact selling my 50mm and the lifesize converter (would like to sell them as a pair).

The 50mm; however, isn't a bad general lens either. I used it for some time as my "walk around" lens.

If you can get the Sigma 105mm, Iwould go that route. If you just prefer a Canon lens (I have both Sigma and Canon) or want the 50mm with the converter, I have that for sale.

Mike

Jameyh
03/02/2006, 07:41 PM
Sorry Mike, brainfart.....given that the sigma 105mm is SO close (some debate the sigma is better...) to the canon that you can't go wrong...

ScubaTC
03/02/2006, 10:17 PM
I may hold out for a while and go with the Sigma 105mm. It's my understanding that the higher the millimeter the better chance of pulling a coral in closer to the camera?? This would be ideal for corals placed in the middle or backside of tanks??

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.