03/01/2006, 05:15 PM
Hello,

In my tank (120 gal w/ 75 gal sump), I currently have:

1 Yellow Tang
1 Helfrichi Firefish
1 Ocellaris Clown
1 Yellowhead Jawfish
1 Lineatus Wrasse
1 Male Swallowtail Angel (G. melanospilos)

I was looking for 1 last fish...

I want him to be a colourful as possible and relatively small since my bio load is already pretty large...

I thought of a gramma, but I'm worried he might harass the Helfrichi...

Any thoughts on the Gramma?

Or an other fish suggestions?????

Thanks

zimmy1979
03/01/2006, 05:22 PM
Lawnmower blenny! Awesome fish. It isn't that colorful but really fun to watch.

SDguy
03/01/2006, 05:44 PM
Midas blennies are somewhat colorful. Normally I'd say the royal gramma would be fine with a firefish in a 125g, but with such a pricey firefish, I'd hesitate.

lemonhead
03/01/2006, 05:47 PM
what about a type of fairy wrasse?

Craig Lambert
03/01/2006, 05:52 PM
Carpenter's Wrasse are nice. I guess you'd have to verify compatability with that Lineatus. (I may get a pair of those if I win the powerball lottery).

fishykeeper
03/01/2006, 05:53 PM
Yellow Pyramid Butterfly

I have one in my soft/LPS reef and it has been a model citizen. VERY colorful and active. Not too common but also not crazy $.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1853&N=0

Petro
03/01/2006, 08:02 PM
I don't know about another wrasse :confused:
My lineatus is quite a showpiece (currently truning supermale) and I used to have a carpenter that beat him up all the time, making him lose all his color (found him a new home :p )

I hesitated on the gramma exactly b/c even though the chances are low, I can't risk him killing a 200$ firefish...

And the butterfly is rather large...

Thanks for the thoughts guys!!!

Any more suggestions

jpslickorocks
03/01/2006, 08:22 PM
midas blennies can be pretty aggressive from what I have seen. but they sure are cool looking

DMK
03/01/2006, 08:29 PM
flame hawk

twon8
03/01/2006, 09:03 PM
what about a leopard wrasse, or a copperbanded butterfly, though the tang may put a hurting on him. and i don't think you have a high bioload, depending on skimmer.

aural
03/01/2006, 09:09 PM
Yellow Assessor Basslet - very cool fish, very peaceful, and only get 3" MAX

Brandon's Reef
03/01/2006, 09:33 PM
where did you get that Lineatus Wrasse and how much did you pay for him?

Petro
03/01/2006, 10:51 PM
HEHE

My Lineatus (named "Presto") I practically stole from a store near my house.

It's a bulk pet store that sells any kind of pet you want.

I dont know where they foud him but I got him for

150 $ CANADIAN!!! WOOT!!!

(and he is turning supermale with all the cyclopeze + solcon he's eating)

Hmm I need to read up a bit more on Flame Hawks and hawks in general. Thanks for the idea DMK!
Aren't Hawkfish rather agressive though???
Will possibly EAT my firefish???? or shrimp??? EEP :eek1:

A Midas is a. intereting idea too. Thanks jpslickorocks and SDguy!

Keep the ideas COMING!!!!

And I'd like some more opinions on the danger of a Gramma with my Helfrichi Firefish in a 120 gal...

Also, any thoughts on Frimandi Pseudochromis?

THANKS

NCreefwannabe
03/02/2006, 01:24 AM
what about a mandarin?

zemuron114
03/02/2006, 03:00 AM
your lineatus wont turn into a supermale unless there are multiple females and other competing males around.....
But some have put mirrors up for a short period at a time during every day and that keep the male thinking there is another male in there. But i dont see how yours is turning "supermale" without females...

i think another fairy wrasse or flasher wrasse would be perfect. As long as you dont get one that looks like lineatus (aka rhomboid, pink margin etc) - you should be fine.
what about a leopard wrasse or ornate?

cfarrow2
03/02/2006, 03:23 AM
I'm kinda fond of my coral beaty. under good lighting they are pretty.

The_Reef _Man
03/02/2006, 05:58 AM
I personally think your bioload is rather low. I have about the same, maybe more in my 65. I would advice against a hawkfish if you have shrimp. Eventually, they will probobly end up getting eaten as was the case with my striped hawk. He was also very mean. I hear the longnose and flame hawk are less likely to cause problems though. How about a blenny. Midas blennies are fairly colourful and they spend most of the time in the water column. Lawnmower blennies are really neat but not as colourful.

Petro
03/02/2006, 09:25 AM
Hmm...

Well on the supermale subject, my Lineatus looks EXACTLY like this:
http://www.marinecenter.com/media/photos/0DEF7202D2784C6EAF81D249F76E75BEO.jpg
:eek1:
since I got rid of my Carpenter's that was harasing him...
I was under the impression that this was what a supermale looks like, but I apologize I was mistaken ;)

I was trying to shy away from another angel since I already have my swallowtail which is coloring up and growing a long penant tail since I saved him from the evil LFS...

I would love a Mandarin but I think my Lineatus eats all my pods, b/c I can never see any :confused:

Keep the ideas coming :rollface:

Thanks

Loralie
03/02/2006, 11:35 AM
Black Cap Basslet are great fish and not as agressive as a Royal Gramma. I have read they may bother small shrimp, but mine never has. I have a pair of Harlequins in my tank and they have never been harassed

zemuron114
03/03/2006, 05:11 PM
your lineatus could have come in a supermale, but your other was harrassing him so his color faded. Now the carpenters is gone, his colors are returning... But im almost 100% sure a fairy male can't become a supermale unless there are females and other lesser males... maybe you got lucky.. lol Either way, it is a damn nice lineauts :)

I would stick to smaller fish.. i love looking for small fish in the rockwork :)