PDA

View Full Version : Help with Xanium Bulbs!!!

BiggusDiscus
04/11/2002, 05:09 PM
I've got a multitap 250W ballast that can handle multiple voltages. Which one should I use? 120, 208, 240 or 277? I got it from http://www.1000bulbs.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=978
I had a 250W ballast running at 120v but for some reason it wouldn't fire the new bulb. It was running a 250 Iwasaki 6500K bulb just fine. Any clue?

BD

BiggusDiscus
04/11/2002, 06:39 PM
I got it working at 120v. The problem might have been with a lack of patience. It didn't fire up like the Iwasaki did. I went inside to get a drink and when I came back it was firing up. I originally used the ballast that Nicholas Allars has spec'd out on this famous website: http://www.rpi.edu/dept/union/aquarium/public_html/DIY_MH.html
I tried using the same ballast to no avail. I had the other one that I just purchased in the waiting but thought it work work after I spoke to the guys a hellolights who told me that there should be no problem. Well it didn't work. The new one didn't work either until I took a step back and waited a few. Glad I did.

I was getting rid of the Iwasaki because it was waaaayy to yellow for me. this light is awesome. It's a little violet right now but from what I read it will burn in quite nicely.

Cool

BD

dattack
04/13/2002, 01:48 AM
The ballast that you use at Nicholas? site is for Iwasaki MV bulbs only and it will not fire MH bulbs. The ones you got at bulbs1000 will probably fire both.

Ritteri&Bubbles
04/14/2002, 01:08 PM
If I were you I would toss those X bulbs, complete waste of money, very low PAR value. Better off with the Iwasaki's which should be run off of a Mercury Vapor ballast, not a regular MH ballast like most people do. Using the MV ballast they burn a nice clean white. Very nice indeed.

BiggusDiscus
04/15/2002, 10:45 PM
Ritteri&Bubbles ,

Do you know the PAR value for the Xbulb? The 65K Iwasaki I have <4 mo old using the MV ballast that is recommended in the link I mentioned burned very yellow.

Jake
04/16/2002, 03:12 PM
Ritteri and Bubbles,

You stated:

"If I were you I would toss those X bulbs, complete waste of money, very low PAR value. "

Please fill us in on Par of the bulb, what you used to test the par and on what ballest you fired the bulb. I saw Dana Riddles info on Par for the 15 K but I have seen no info on the 10 K's. Please fill us in on any experinces or experiments you may have had with the X2 bulbs that form the basis of your statement. I have seen the 10K's and they compare favorably with most bulbs I have seen in person. They are brighter than almost all the bulbs I have come across in the 10K range and are similar to my friends 400W HQI AB 10k as far as brightness which I think is more than enough light. Just my experince. I would be very glad to hear what your experince with them has been.

-Jake

jim norris
04/16/2002, 05:28 PM
Guys,
I will have to jump into this tread. I have been using the x bulb 400 watt 10,000 now for one month! My clam tanks have NEVER been better to look at! All my clams are doing GREAT. No more yellow!!!! I am using them with two dual PFO MH ballast. I was using sakis with the PFO E ballast that is made just for sakis in mind. Right now I am very happy with the Hellolight x 400 watt 10,000 bulbs. I will say one thing and that is they do seem a little fragile as compare to their 15,000k and a saki or ushio.
Jim

David Grigor
04/19/2002, 02:05 PM
I don't believe R&B has actually done any tests. I think he is just repeating what he has read with his own opinions mixed in.

To the best of my knowledge Dana only ran test on the 15K so I can hardly think assumption can be make about the 10K.

I will say, I am skeptical of the 15K and get the feeling it isn't going to be much better than a 10K+ Blueline or 12K Sunburst.

I currently use 20K Radiums and extremely happy with them and perform WAY better than the other two I just mentioned.
A $25 introductory savings on bulb isn't enough for me to take the gamble.

I certainly hope the 15K do work out but I have doubts ( my own speculation ).

john f
04/20/2002, 05:46 PM
"I currently use 20K Radiums and extremely happy with them and perform WAY better than the other two I just mentioned"

That's funny. I have seen a spectral chart for the 20k radium and it matchs almost exactly that of the 12k Sunburst.
Why then do you think the Radium is so much better?

I am asking honestly as I use 12k and am thinking of trying the 20k but they cost alot more and have the same spectral output.

And when can we throw out that nasty PAR term?

John

Flatlander
04/21/2002, 08:48 AM
Time for another 12K user to jump in. :D As I have posted many times, its the nicest colour I have used for myself & my corals. But it lacks intensity, so I must use some form of supplemental lighting.

I wanted to switch to the 20K also, but could never get a good answer on its comparison to a 12K. Except that I needed an electronic or HQI ballast. Question then. Does that not change all the parameters of a comparison. Could not get an answer on its comparison when run on a normal ballast to my 12K. All 400 watts by the way.

I agree with Jake. Show me the numbers. I post on Fishnet also & have seen Dana,s tests. It does only reflect the 175w version and the 15K to boot.

I need a single 400 for my tank, no more supplements. But I like it to lean towards the blue side, yet have enough par. For the small amount of money, this is why I am waiting for my 400 watt 10K "X" bulbs to arrive. If their fine, great, if not, whoop-dee-do, like I have not wasted any money in this hobby before.:D They can sit on the shelf in fine company.:D I say though, at least give them a chance. Its about time we got a decent bulb at a price that I dont need a second mortgage to purchase.

Is that not what us in the hobby have been waiting for?
And just so you know, Dana has posted that he is extremely busy at the present and has no time to test the other versions until later. He, like many, is also waiting to hear some comparisons from those of us going to try them, that have experience with many other bulbs also.

Jake
04/22/2002, 03:17 PM
These 10K bulbs have burnt in beautifully. My corals show better coloration in the tank and some actually have gained better color (As evidenced by color of coral frags after taking them out of the tank and looking at them under ambient lighting).

The bulb has burned in a really nice crisp white/with slight bluish tint. My corals floresce like I have strong actinic supplementation.

I could not be more pleased with these bulbs.

I have the 400w 10K version on a standard PFO ballest

Regards

Jake

David Grigor
04/22/2002, 04:00 PM
John,

For me there was no additional expense. I was already running 10k Ushios on blueline ballast so for me the only additional costs was for the bulbs which I was soon to be replacing anyhow. I had replaced my standard ballast about 18 months ago for electiricity considerations. Customaquatics sells the 400W Radiums for $89 so price of the bulb and life of the bulb is very comparable. For you of course there is the additional expense of the ballast.

I have used the 12K Sunburst on standard ballast and the Blueline 10K+ on the blueline e-ballast. I am not familiar with any spectural charts on these bulbs to know what you are referring to....

I myself would find it VERY VERY VERY hard to believe they as simliar to the 20K Radium running on a HQI or Blueline ballast as you suggest.

Corals react much much better to the 20K Radium than those bulbs. Even the most light demanding tabletops SPS. Much better balance of color as well. I just can't emphasize this enough. Outside of the 65K bulbs. I am not aware of any bulb that has a higher output than the 20K Radiums.

Beleive me if they were as equal then I would be using the Sunburst or the blueline 10K+. Equipement expenses are a secondary concern for me and what matters most is the results in the corals.

I am not making these comments in an effort to justify why I spent the money on this setup or anything. Especially since bulbs are basically same price. I truly believe there is a difference or else I would gladly switch back. I once tried the Double Ended 250w and took a $$ hit when sold them because I didn't think they were as good so my comments aren't out of pride and I have tried many many different setups and K bulbs over the years........

Finally, Knowing what I know now. Is there enough difference between the setups that would justify the additional costs of the ballast. I can honestly say YES.

john f
04/22/2002, 06:09 PM
David,

I have never used the 20k radiums but as I said am thinking of switching over to them.
I only say the 12k are similar because of spectral output. The two bulbs almost match identically on a spectral chart.

Now as for total amount of light energy at each wavelength the Radiums are a little better, so total PPFD is higher for the Radium bulb vs. the Sunburst.

I still dislike Par and PPFD as measurements for our uses. They both would count energy at 600-700nm the same as light energy at 400-500nm. If you fall into the more PAR (or PPFD) is better crowd you go buy Iwasaki 6500 lamps anyway.

My problem is I want to run 1000 Watt Radium bulbs and you can't buy the HQI ballasts in that wattage. I am going to try and run the radiums with a Venture pulse start ballast to see how that goes, but those ballasts are unavailable for another 3-4 weeks.

89 bucks is a great deal on those Radium bulbs as well. Marine depot sells them for $119 each, which is $30 more that the Sunbursts in 400 watt.

John

David Grigor
04/22/2002, 06:38 PM
I don't necessarily fall into the "More PAR is better crowd".

I have given 8 of so frags to a reef buddy with 400W Iwasaki 65Ks + VHO actinics about 18 months ago and was recently over at his house. Coloration of the corals was pretty dull and boring, nothing compared to the very same corals in my tank. However, I must admit growth was more noticable but that isn't my priority.

While PAR definately plays a role, there is still to be learned IMO.....

Another example is PCs vs. VHO. Supposedly PC have more output but I have yet to see a tank lit by PCs that is more impressive then VHO lit tank.....