PDA

View Full Version : Is Too Much Carbon Bad?

FSOL
02/26/2006, 09:53 PM
Is it in any way harmful to run too much carbon in the canister filter? I currently have 4 packs of Chemi-Pure in my fluval404 canister filter and can add another 4.

The tank has a total volume of 220gallons and water looks clean. But I do get algae buildup on the front glass and water doesn't look too sparkling clean when viewed from the side of the 6' long tank.

Thanks

FSOL
02/26/2006, 11:02 PM
^:rollface:

Ti
02/26/2006, 11:15 PM
no

ERICinFL
02/26/2006, 11:43 PM
Try to find the "right" amount. By that, I mean enough carbon to gently move around in the filter. To much carbon will pack down and channel. This will not get you as much surface area contact and is frankly a waste of carbon. To little will get thrown around and eventually break down and end up in your tank.

FSOL
02/27/2006, 12:37 AM
I'm running mine in a canister filter. The packs of carbon are placed in media bags.

So far I am running 4, but have 4 more empty spaces in the canister to put stuff in. I don't know what else to throw in there besides carbon, so that's why I thought of just putting more of it.

BeanAnimal
02/27/2006, 12:39 AM
I think ifyou do some research you will find that LATERAL LINE DISEASE is atributed to over filtration due to carbon.

I have no idea if this is valid, but it is something that is sited as a common cause for lateral line.

Bean

rlschne
02/27/2006, 12:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6836314#post6836314 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
I think ifyou do some research you will find that LATERAL LINE DISEASE is atributed to over filtration due to carbon.

I have no idea if this is valid, but it is something that is sited as a common cause for lateral line.

Bean

no one really knows what causes lateral line... My grounding probe had a big sticker on the box saying that stray electrical current caused it... I think they did some studies on that and disproved that too...

Reefdaddy1
02/27/2006, 01:59 AM
Most carbons contain Phosphates, that cause Algae prblems. The best thing to do is add Phosban to filter. Use minimal flow to both carbon and Phosban and you have minmal problems with Algae blooms. I have no probs with my set up this way.

FSOL
02/27/2006, 12:57 PM
I am also running phosban in a phosban reactor. I've thought about just putting the carbon packets inside the reactor, but it's too small, so I run them in different setups.

RichConley
02/27/2006, 01:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6836314#post6836314 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal

Bean

Bean, I was talking to someone at a public aquarium recently, and they were suggesting the same thing. It was something about the carbon dust attaching to the hairs/cilia/whatever they are in the pores in the lateral line, and basically burning them.

FSOL
02/27/2006, 02:15 PM
I've run carbon on my old and current tank (total of 2 yrs) continuously and never had LLD.

ridinfast03
02/27/2006, 04:19 PM
I use carbon in my phos reactor. Remember though that without carbon your lighting may be shaded up to 50%. Point being that if you ad a full load of carbon that is will suck out the organics and make the light brighter. This is good, but do it gradually, so that you dont have a case of light shock.

BeanAnimal
02/27/2006, 04:20 PM
That is another controverisal subject. I have read aws much anecdote and evidence on both side of the "light shock" thing to laugh at either position.

FSOL
02/27/2006, 06:15 PM
ok, assuming 4 chemipures is enough to run 24/7 in my canister filter, what else is useful to place in the canister filter besides carbon? Keep in mind I'm already running phosban in the phosban reactor.

Reefdaddy1
02/27/2006, 09:43 PM
Carbon is also a necessary to grow coraline . I use heavy carbon and Phosban in my growout tanks.Many tests have been done about this and the results are determined by feeding amounts and lighting. Carbon is and can be a great asset to coraline growth and Corals. Just rinse your carbon well before putting it in your filter. Do the same with Phosban, you should not have a problem. In my DSB tanks I only carbon my makeup water and water change. I skim most of the other stuff out. All organics out of water are not necessarily good. Many corals eat those organics and use them for huge growth spurts. Why I only do water changes and makeup water now.

BeanAnimal
02/27/2006, 10:10 PM
I have tons of coraline and have never put a spec of carbon in my water. ( I am not against it, I just never got around to using it).

I think there is a lot of enecdote with regards to much of this hobby and subjects such as this. A lot of it likely based in pretty good scientific fact. Somehow as hobbyists we need to figure out a way to balance it all and make it work for own systems.

People swear about or by, UV, Carbon, Suppliments, Lights, ETC. However a lot of people seem to get a lot of different methodologies to work. Interesting to hear so many opinons in a short thread.

Bean