PDA

View Full Version : Latin?

goblinsharkman
02/26/2006, 02:31 PM
Ok, so Im an intern at the Nat'l Zoo Invert exhibit in DC. And earlier this morning on of the keepers asked me what stomatopod meant, like he knew it was something foot. Being fairly proficient in latin, i knew stomata/o means mouth in latin. so, we concluded stomatopod means "mouth foot" which doesnt make any sense in relation to mantis shrimp. I was wondering if anyone could shed more light/lux on the reason for this naming? Dr. Roy?

fischcrazy
02/26/2006, 02:49 PM
in latin pes/ ped means foot

goblinsharkman
02/26/2006, 04:21 PM
the suffix pod also means foot

Gonodactylus
02/26/2006, 05:16 PM
It makes sense if you think about what they look like - lots of "feet" around the mouth. Actually, they are maxillipeds or thoracopods.

If you want to worry about derivations, try coming up with the meaning of "Gonodactylus".

Roy

sdm
02/26/2006, 05:21 PM
unless I'm mistaken (and I'm pretty sure I'm not) the latin suffix in relation to the foot is pes/ped/pedos, and pod is a greek prefix meaning foot--the suffix in relation to the foot most similar (that is not pes/ped/pedos) is the greek pous.

fischcrazy
02/26/2006, 05:30 PM
"Gonodactylus".

something about fingers

goblinsharkman
02/26/2006, 10:32 PM
gono is sexual, and dactyl is finger/toe/appendage

and yea sdm is right it is greek, however the root is in latin too such as the words podium and poda... 3 years of latin and this is all i learn :P

Opcn
02/27/2006, 03:48 AM
Sexy Toes

majestic sea life
02/27/2006, 08:19 AM
no i dont think so Opce lol.

Gonodactylus
02/27/2006, 10:08 AM
Well, when a gonodactylid threatens, it often does extend the propodus and hold up the dactyl. I guess you could interpret that as a "sex finger", but that is not the the what the person who named Gonodactylus had in mind. It is derrived from the Greek.

Roy

sdm
02/28/2006, 08:05 PM
"seed-finger"?! I mean, if it were gnathos instead that might make a little more sense, but "seed-finger"... I'm missing something here. *insert shrug here*

...unless he was thinking gonia instead of gono?

Gonodactylus
02/28/2006, 11:25 PM
Gono is a Greek root and has several different meanings. Seed is one, reproductive organ is another - hence the names of stomatopod genitalia - gonopores and gonopods.

It also means generation, offspring, and an angle. However, the original definition of gonodactylus involved none of these. It came from the Greek "gon" which refers to the knee. The name describes the inflated dactyl heel.

Roy

sdm
02/28/2006, 11:33 PM
Ooooooooh. Ok.

goblinsharkman
03/01/2006, 03:49 PM
I think we should have a little thread on the meanings of Linnean naming of mantid species names! However, ill have to say GrecoRoman derivatives instead of latin, because new latin/Indo European roots encompass greek, latin and germanic suffixes. which tleads to some confusion...apparently :D