PDA

View Full Version : Worm Photos...

DaveJ
04/10/2002, 11:36 PM
This lil guy was about 4 inches long when he showed up in my LR Order.... He's grown quite a bit :)

This is a 12 gallon Eclipse..

DaveJ
04/10/2002, 11:37 PM
And climbing up the side... care to ID if you can?

kmk2307
04/11/2002, 07:21 AM
All I know is its some sort of "bristle worm." Give yer a nickel fer him. :-)

kmk2307
04/11/2002, 07:23 AM
Could you take a larger shot of him in a higher resolution sometimei? My current "giant bristle worm" background image is a little unclear. my email is kmk2307@charter.net If you could email me that shot it would just make my day. Thanks!

DaveJ
04/11/2002, 08:38 AM
Kevin,

Those two are reduced images... if you want the originals of those two I would be happy to send them to you. They go roughly 200K in file size.

Toutouche
04/11/2002, 11:48 AM
:eek1: :eek1: Has it strangled any sheep yet!!!???

rshimek
04/11/2002, 12:48 PM
Hi,

NEAT critter.

My guess is that is a large fireworm, but really it could be a number of other types. If you can post a crisp, in focus, photo of top of the head I can likely get a better identification for you .

Large fireworms are harmless scavengers. If it is another type of worm, it may not be so benign. Some large Eunicids can eat fish.

:D

DaveJ
04/11/2002, 02:36 PM
Dr...Thought you would like it.. :D I will see what I can do about that photo. Just like a top down shot?? Or a head on shot? I have seen no problems with this guy, he even shared a den with a small yello goby until he outgrew the space. I have 4 or 5 others of the same type in that tank, though none are as large YET :D

kmk2307
04/11/2002, 11:50 PM
I don't care how big the file is... please email me one: kmk2307@charter.net

I love your worm, dude! (Sound kind of dirty/creepy, don't it?)

Thanks!

DaveJ
04/14/2002, 07:09 PM
Dr Ron.... just a question about reproduction of these things. I noticed a couple smaller ones today, about 3 or 4 inches long. I am thinking about transferring these into my display tank. If you were me... would you let them be in this smaller tank to reproduce a bit and then move them in there or just do it now? Does it take more than one to tango or are they asexual?

rshimek
04/15/2002, 01:13 PM
Hi Dave,

For identification purposes a good shot from both above the top of the head, and from the front would be best.

They are not likely to be asexual, but they might be. If you have two, and they are the appropriate genders you may get sexual reproduction. Depending on the type of worm, they may survive the process or go out in a "big bang".... Many worms are broadcast spawners that die after spawning. I can't give a guess which is more likely until I can get a better handle on what the worm is.

:D

MsReeReee
04/25/2002, 04:03 PM
Boy if i had that worm in my tank i would have night mares
LOL...........

rshimek
04/26/2002, 06:24 AM
Hi MsReeReee,

Well.... night mares, day mares, or twilight mares... get prepared.

Most reef tanks have them. The large fireworms are very common - and that is good news as they are great scavengers.

:thumbsup:

Scott817
04/02/2007, 11:17 PM
shoot it before it gets you dood :rollface: its one of those worms from tremors *lol*

plummike
04/03/2007, 02:04 PM
All tanks have worms but I didn't know they could get that big. Id be counting my fingers.

Elohssa1
04/03/2007, 07:55 PM
wheres Sigourney Weaver when we need her? HOLY CHIT!

Julio
04/04/2007, 11:12 AM
Steve Weast had a similar worm in his tank and it turned out to be predatory and was munching on all his live stock, contact him for further info.

DaveJ
04/04/2007, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9644668#post9644668 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Julio
Steve Weast had a similar worm in his tank and it turned out to be predatory and was munching on all his live stock, contact him for further info.

Yes, I saw his.. His was a euchild (sp). His was much longer too... but totally different species.

Nerun
04/07/2007, 06:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9633547#post9633547 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scott817
shoot it before it gets you dood :rollface: its one of those worms from tremors *lol*

HA!

Im sorry, thats sorta cool creature but i couldnt have a tank with something like that in it.
its not really my idea of a relaxing reef but whatever floats ur boat i guess.

IMM3DOORSDOWN
04/08/2007, 05:22 PM
id=if u ask me "ugly" lol

ElDiabloPollo
04/08/2007, 08:57 PM
Unless the rock came from the Gulf of Mexico, it is not a "Fireworm", it is more likely a common bristle worm. According to Anthony Calfo "Fireworms" only come from the Gulf.

J

fantastic4
04/08/2007, 10:43 PM
it looks like Oenone fulgida

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rs/index.php

Does it excrete a mucus all over it's food prior to eating?
Make a wave like motion when feeding and excreting the mucus?
Have a reddish,purplish hue on its body?
Centipede like legs along this sides?
Small head and mouth?
Move really fast when provoked?
and tend to make sand burros when travelling through the live sand?

Then you have one.

Some worm experts in the other invertabrae area collect them, you should post a picture on that forum.

DaveJ
04/08/2007, 10:55 PM
Guys, keep in mind this thread is almost 5 years old ;) That worm was in my tank in another state and is long dead.

That said.. it was just a common fireworm, I never got an exact species name for it, but it was not a predator, wasn't one of the other 'dangerous' varieties for the tank. It was simply a very large scavenger, a very large and cool critter.

I never noticed any of that behavior at all. It simply came out when I fed the tank or picked over the remains of a dead fish when that happened. It co-existed a couple of years with small and large fish alike, along with a number of other animals.

FWIW.. fireworms are found all over the world, not just the Gulf. They have them in Hawaii, in the western Atlantic and various other places as well. Specific species are regional, but the family itself is not. This came in on Fiji rock originally, though its possible it was transplanted from some other rock since the supplier I purchased from also had Marshall Island and various Tongan varieties that they sold.

Here is a Haiwiian variation

Hawaii Fire Worm (http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/invertpicsindex/l/blii_hautfirewo.htm)

Here is an Atlantic variety... Homodice which IS a predator.. the colors are similar but the body is distinctly different.

Atlantic Variety (http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=292)