PDA

View Full Version : Brooklynella

Chinese DNA
02/24/2006, 09:11 PM
How to treat Brookelynella? I trouble about this disease. thanks in advance.

oama
02/24/2006, 09:59 PM
This may help
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/brooklynella.html

Chinese DNA
02/26/2006, 07:02 PM
thank you very much!
I have already read it. but I have two questiones. Please help me, thanks
1. "dilute the dip water with 4 times the volume of tap water and discard." whether tap water make the fish uncomfortable?

2."To each gallon (or 4 litres) of bath water, around 0.6 mL of formalin should be added to get the desired dosage. " I don't know its meaning.

oama
02/26/2006, 07:31 PM
The formalin dip water is still very toxic, so you dilute it before dumping it down the toilet/drain. This way it will, hopefully, not harm your sepetic system or the waste water treatment facility in your community.

add 0.6ml of formalin for every 4 liters of saltwater that is in the bath. So if you use 2 gallons (8L) of SW in a bucket, add 1.2 ml of formalin.

Chinese DNA
02/27/2006, 12:29 AM
Thank you so much!!!!
1. I still understand it. I catch the fish and put it into formalin solution at first when fish is ill. wait for 30 min, and then I catch the fish from the bath, and take it to the tank. (or take it to the other bucket to wash before puting it back) I don' need any tap water.

2.In the middle of the article, it said that "Both Lom (1995) and Noga (2000) recommend formalin baths of between 0.125 and 167 mL/L for 30 to 60 minutes. " I think I should add 167ml of formalin per liter.

3. Do you think formalin will injure genital system of fish?

Chinese DNA
02/27/2006, 06:08 PM
¶¥

oama
02/27/2006, 06:40 PM
Ok, after you are all done with the bath and the fish is back in it's tank, to dispose of (throw away) the used bath water you should dilute is before dumping it. see the above reasons for doing this. This is where the tap water comes into use.

treatments vary depending on what paper/book you are reading. And sometimes they are averages. But for Brook treatment on clowns, any where from 0.2 ml to 0.6ml per gallon, 1 ml/gal for extreme cases. You have to judge how sick you fish are. In bad cases, use the higher doses and back down in subsequent treatments as the fish improve.

btw, that is a typo on AJ's part. the 167 is actually ppm, not ml/l. Which equates to 0.167ml/l or 0.63ml/gal. And thus he got the 0.6ml per gallon he refers to.

Adding 167ml to one liter of water would be something like a 5% soln of formaldehyde. Must better for pickling a specimen. As in the fish will be dead and well preserved.

TTBOMK A controlled dosage/treatment of formalin will not have any long term effects on the reproductive organs of fish.

criccio
02/27/2006, 07:11 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6836269#post6836269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chinese DNA
[B]Thank you so much!!!!
1. I still understand it. I catch the fish and put it into formalin solution at first when fish is ill. wait for 30 min, and then I catch the fish from the bath, and take it to the tank. (or take it to the other bucket to wash before puting it back) I don' need any tap water.

Yes, give the clown another bath in water without formalin before putting it back into the QT/display. All three (formalin bath, rinse bath, and QT/display) should be the same water, just one having formalin.

Chinese DNA
02/28/2006, 12:30 AM
To oama
Thank you very very much!
1.You said "see the above reasons for doing this. This is where the tap water comes into use." Why use tap water to dilute the bath water. I should use the same sea water to dilute the bath water.right?

2. Your saying is a little difficult, But I see what you mean. I add 167ml of 40% formaldehyde to one liter of sea water from the tank. I will get 5% solution of formaldehyde. and then I use this solution to cure ill fish.

3. The fish can continue to reproduce after have been treated with 5% solution of formaldehyde. right?

To criccio
Thank you so much.
Your English is very easy , I knew completely for your saying. thank you very very much.

oama
02/28/2006, 02:22 AM
one more try before i fall asleep...

1. The Bath Water with the formalin in it is TOXIC! Once you are done with treatment, Do Not just dump it down the drain/toilet/waste water system. As it says, dilute the bath water with 4 parts tapwater BEFORE dumping it down the drain. This has nothing to do with treating the fish and every thing to do with conservation of your septic system (where your waste water goes for sewege treatment, i.e. the poop plant). Full strength formalin bath water could be a problem for your sewage plant.

2. NO! Never, Ever add more that 1 ml of formalin (the ~40% soln of formaldehyde) per 4 liters of salt water. Unless you want a dead fish. Period! Bath treatment for Brook are 1ml per 5 gal (~20L) up to 1ml per 1 gal (~4L) for 30 to 60 minutes in salt water with an airstone.

3. Ignoring the 5% soln... But, yes, given the regular dosage (1ml/1gal MAX) you will have no long term effects to the fishes reproduction system.

Chinese DNA
02/28/2006, 06:15 PM
Thank you a million!!!
I understand your third saying after have read your last saying.
But formaldenyde is differ from formalin. Formaldenye is 40%,but formalin is 27% of Formaldenye.

oama
02/28/2006, 07:16 PM
Actually, it varies, but generally, Formalin is a 37% soln of Formaldehyde Gas in ~60% water, with something like 3% methanol added. Formalin is a liquid. Formaldehyde is a gas.

Formalin is what was commonly used to preserve scientific specimens for museums and schools, etc. The normal strength of Formalin used to "pickle" a specimen is 10% Formalin. 1 part Formalin plus 9 parts water. Since Formalin is a ~40% soln of Formaldehyde, that would make the 10% formalin soln, a 4% formaldehyde soln.

Confusing, No?

I guess my math was wrong above. If you added 167ml of Formalin to 1 liter of water you would have a 16.7% soln!!! Over half as much as one would use to preserver a specimen!!!!:eek1:

And for you nit-pickers out there... I know, I know... The total volume would be 1167 ml, so it would not be 16.7%. But I'm to lazy to do the math. Lets call it 15% and be done.

traveller7
02/28/2006, 09:29 PM
Chinese DNA,

Do you have formaldehyde or formalin available for the treatments?

Most of our treatment instructions are set up to use 37% Formalin.

Good luck.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6850665#post6850665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oama
And for you nit-pickers out thereSomeone call me?

:D

oama
02/28/2006, 09:48 PM
:mixed:

ºÃÇ¿
03/15/2006, 07:09 AM
ok I think I can understand your discussion about this issue

keefsama2003
03/15/2006, 07:27 AM
whats the shelf life on formalin?

if i were to buy some. and hold onto it without opening the bottle for when my tank is done. and i start getting in my clowns.

i dont want to get stuck with needing it and not having but i also dont want to get some and have it go bad on me?

Rare Angels
03/15/2006, 08:41 AM
I believe that formalin starts to be in question after about 6 months. I replace my supply every 4-6 months whether I have opened it or not.

Hopefully others will comment on this.

Dave

keefsama2003
03/15/2006, 09:16 AM
thanks i see alot of posts about formalin but never anything on shelf life.

im guessing thats just as important as the usage as you dont want to use anything outdated and rotten so to say.