PDA

View Full Version : purchasing mantis??

Fuegofish777
02/23/2006, 11:45 PM
is there really no one that sells mantis shrimp besides tbs? i mean other than peacocks, are there any other sellers that can specify species, or at least close?

Thurge
02/24/2006, 02:20 AM
Not really. Occasionally you will see a mantis that is identified, but it is a rairity and usually because its a big one. Mostly I would suspect its because there is such a small group of people that want them. Its kind of a "is it worth the time" kind of thing. The seller really isn't going to be able to sell it for any more money just because its an identified species so why spend the time. The vast majority that come into the trade do so as hitchhikers, and are sold because they are there.
I had one collector in Haiwaii once tell me "I had one in the net two days ago, but let it go because finding buyers is so rare. If you want I will pick you up one next time out. "

Liveaquaria, Marinedepotlive, fishsupply; all have Peacocks listed and another entry for assorted mantis. They may not have them listed every day but If you keep an eye on them over a couple weeks you will find one.

liverock
02/24/2006, 09:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6813849#post6813849 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fuegofish777
is there really no one that sells mantis shrimp besides tbs? i mean other than peacocks, are there any other sellers that can specify species, or at least close?

Our mantis shrimp are Wennera, usually green or red.....about 2 inches.....One to your door cost $50.

Thanks
TBS

rogerwells
02/24/2006, 06:11 PM
you can get a peacock for about that much money....and they are cooler

LisaD
02/24/2006, 10:10 PM
They are giving a SHIPPED price, overnight delivery. If you buy a peacock from liveaquaria or marinedepotlive, you will pay around $30 for shipping on top of the price. I suspect if you called TBS, you could fill a box with other organisms they sell for close to the same shipping cost and the cost for the mantis would be much less than $50.

BTW, I have a N. wennerae in a 12 gallon nano cube, and it is incredibly cool, acrobatic and interactive. I would worry if I didn't constantly hear it clicking all day.

LittlePuff
02/25/2006, 11:54 AM
www.fishsupply.com

Kim

Fuegofish777
02/25/2006, 06:39 PM
thanks for the replies everyone, sorry i havent been around to post any replies, i had a wrestling tournament. but thanks for the sites and advice, i'll just have to keep on looking. I forgot to say that i was looking for a small species, hence needing to know the species. wennera is actually one of the ones i was looking for.

Uriel
02/25/2006, 08:01 PM
You live in So Cal...there are dozens, if not hundreds of shops that carry, or can order one for you.
Ask the guys at the LFS, as there are several distributors down thee (My LFS orders from a big one down south).

-Ron

Fuegofish777
02/25/2006, 10:17 PM
alright thanks for the tip i'll ask around. im sure they could get one but i was more worried with them potentially getting a species that would get too big

rogerwells
02/26/2006, 11:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6821027#post6821027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
They are giving a SHIPPED price, overnight delivery. If you buy a peacock from liveaquaria or marinedepotlive, you will pay around $30 for shipping on top of the price. I suspect if you called TBS, you could fill a box with other organisms they sell for close to the same shipping cost and the cost for the mantis would be much less than $50.

BTW, I have a N. wennerae in a 12 gallon nano cube, and it is incredibly cool, acrobatic and interactive. I would worry if I didn't constantly hear it clicking all day.

yeah but then you have to pay for all the other organisms to dont you?

Fuegofish777
02/26/2006, 01:18 PM
yes i would have to pay for the other organisms, but if there are other critters i want i would save money on shipping.