PDA

View Full Version : O Street/ Exotic websites hacked

int19
02/23/2006, 10:29 PM
Just was checking out to see if I could find out O street's hours and...
Found out that both O Street and Exotic's websites are hacked. :(

Tried calling but couldn't get anyone on the phone. If anyone knows their contact info, it'd be good to pass it along in case they aren't aware :)

Thanks,
Richard

funman1
02/24/2006, 12:09 AM
Holy Crap!!!
That's crazy!!

Here's the pic of O Street
http://www.jbflops.com/hacked.jpg

robertloop
02/24/2006, 12:29 AM
:lol: I'm only laughing because it's not my system........

Sparkss
02/24/2006, 02:39 AM
obviously someone has too much free time :(. I wonder why they targetted those web sites ?

Reefugee
02/24/2006, 02:48 AM
Tom -

People generally don't target specific vendor's website for hacking. Most of these hacking jobs are "oppertunistic" hacking. They hack these sites because the site is poorly configured. Usually the system admin has not patched a vulnerability or have poor password setting.

At work, my network probably get scanned thousands of times a day for vulnerabilities. This may sound scary - but I found that an unpatched system hooked up to the internet can get infected with a virus in as short as 5 seconds. This test was repeated multiple times!

Minh

mothra
02/24/2006, 11:13 AM
Bummer. I was surprised to find my business website hacked a couple of years ago. When I visited the site a picture of Che Guevara was there. Just like Minh said, I wasn't a specific target. They found a way to exploit my host's sever and hacked about 500 sites. Luckily for me nothing malicious was done to the files that were in my directories but it was still a pain the behind. I switched hosts and never looked back :)

thereefgeek
02/24/2006, 01:17 PM
I'm glad Minh is our Webmaster. He was pretty paranoid about security for the MARS and WMC pages, and I guess it's very justified in this day and age of bored punk a$$ teenagers.

stabruciandosi
02/25/2006, 10:47 AM
hey! i was one of those borred punk teens, and minh, the mars site was so annoying to hack. good work

Justin74
02/25/2006, 12:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6823771#post6823771 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stabruciandosi
hey! i was one of those borred punk teens, and minh, the mars site was so annoying to hack. good work
:worried:

-Justin

Reefugee
02/25/2006, 12:39 PM
FYI: The hacking could be either the webmasters fault or the hosting company fault. If the webmaster had insecure code, that could be a vector of compromise. And if the hosting company failed to adequately secure (firewall and patched) their computer, then that could be another avenue for hacking.

Why am I telling you that? Because if the MARS website every get hacked, I can blame it on the hosting company. oh wait... that's me...

BenH98
02/25/2006, 04:38 PM
I tried to look at the website, and it seems like it is back to normal now.