PDA

View Full Version : Mann's Anemone (cladactella manni) Diet

coralhawaii
04/10/2002, 06:06 PM
Dr. Ron

I have what appears to be an unusual anemone (at least for the online forums) - cladactella manni.

I'll try to post an image with my crappy digital camera when I get home this evening.

I acquired it from an LFS here on Oahu. I've had some trouble finding good information regarding this anemone, my primary source being: Hawaii's Sea Creatures, a Guide to Hawaii's Marine Invertebrates by John P. Hoover

Hoover's book, as well as my conversation with the collector, indicates this anemone prefers turbulent rocky areas and typically wedges itself into crevices or overhangs. It has attached itself to a large rock and has not moved after the initial getting settled period.

I have a very healthy looking (approx 4" in diameter) individual which I acquired a few days after it was collected. It is housed in a 400 gal DSB tank which is about 4 months old. This tank uses filtered NSW (compliments of the Waikiki aquarium), temp of 82F and 0's in Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrate. A Euro-Reef skimmer is the only mechanical filtration and a refugium is just getting established.

A tank bred common clownfish (which does not interact with the anemone in any way) and a black sea cucumber or the only other (macro sized) tank mates.

It has readily accepted both lance fish (gamma brand) and krill but will egest them essentially undigested within 6 hours. It seemed to hold on to the fish longer than the krill. The egested fish were encased in a fragile translucent package.

I'm working down a list of possible food items and was hoping you could give me some direction in what areas to pursue. I have read your Anemone booklet, which of course does not discuss this particular anemone.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

for reference:

Phylum Cnidaria
Class Anthozoa
Subclass Hexacorallia
Order Actiniaria
Suborder Nyantheae Carlgren, 1899
Tribe Thenaria Carlgren, 1899
Subtribe Endomyaria Stephenson, 1921
Family Actiniidae Rafinesque, 1815
Genus Cladactella Verrill, 1928
Species Cladactella manni (Verrill, 1899)

coralhawaii
04/11/2002, 03:06 AM
Photo for reference

rshimek
04/11/2002, 12:33 PM
Hi,

I have no data on the diet of this species, unfortunately.

Howsoever, I can make a few guesses....

Anemones in the turbulent spash zones often eat dislodged materials - clams, crabs, etc.

So... Some things to try might be fresh live clams (often available in supermarkets as "steamer clams,"(try them shucked first, or on the half shell; if it eats them you can probably feed them shell and all and it will digest the meat and burp out the shells) or small shrimps (shell and all). Or alternatively, some different fish - perhaps some local "bait fish."

From your description, it probably tried to eat the lancefish, and may, indeed, have gotten some nutrition from it. The mucus layer is typical of partial digestion.

It is possible that lance fish would be a good food source after the animal becomes fully acclimated to your tank. So, you might try those again.

Good luck, and let me know if you find something that is acceptable.

:D

coralhawaii
04/11/2002, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

I tried some frozen mysis last night, which was difficult to deliver thawed - so I gave it a chunk still frozen. It took it in readily and I have seen no visible rejected material (although this may have happened and the food items dispersed).

Is there any harm delivering still frozen food items to an anemone?

I'll try your suggestions and periodically retry the lancefish.

I really appreciate the existence of this forum and the information I've been able to pull off it. I'm sure you invest a considerable amount of time into it daily.

rshimek
04/15/2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by coralhawaii

Hi,

Is there any harm delivering still frozen food items to an anemone?

Yes, it can kill the digestive tissue. Thaw it and bring it up to aquarium temperatures before feeding. You may use a turkey baster or pipette to feed such thawed material.

I really appreciate the existence of this forum and the information I've been able to pull off it. I'm sure you invest a considerable amount of time into it daily.

Typically between 3 and 4 hours per day... :D