PDA

View Full Version : can i use a microwave on my water to get to temp for water changes?

jazer80
02/21/2006, 12:18 PM
i have a 2 gallon reef, and mix up a gallon of water for weekly changes (to be done twice weekly, so half gallon change at a time). this water just sits in the gallon the ro came in, and i shake it up with the salt and then let sit. when it comes time to temperature match, can i just put the gallon its side, and pop in the microwave?

i hate microwaves, but can't think of how it could hurt freshly mixed saltwater

wrott
02/21/2006, 12:25 PM
Yes, I don't think it could anything. You can also hold it under running hot water to raise it a few degrees.

michaeldaly
02/21/2006, 12:25 PM
I think it will be fine as long as there is no life in the sea water ie Natural sea water as it would kill everything

jazer80
02/21/2006, 12:29 PM
i don't know why i didn't think of running it under hot water, that is actually very quick, and i can keep my digi thermom in the gallon so i don't need to keep going in and out of the microwave

kenny77
02/21/2006, 01:03 PM
stove. in a couple of sec the water reach the desire temp

REV
02/21/2006, 01:08 PM
I have removed a cup at a time to microwave and mixed it back in until it reache d the temp. I was looking for.

jazer80
02/21/2006, 01:37 PM
ya that's what i was thinking, but i have a 2 gallon reef and do massive water changes, so i need it to be really precise, and it would just be waaaaay too tedious that way

i just put the probe from my digital thermometer into my gallon of water, put the gallon in the sink, and turned on teh faucet. sat there monitoring the readout, took a couple minutes, then it got too hot, did a little cold, and it was fine. very efficient method i think

Anemonebuff
02/21/2006, 01:57 PM
I use the microwave to up the temp of my water at water changes.