PDA

View Full Version : Coralife Superskimmer 65 Mod

rutledgek
02/20/2006, 11:22 AM
Would anyone have any suggestions on how to add an external Collection cup to my superskimmer . I know i will drill a hole into my collection cup and then use some sort of fitting to add a drain tube. I was thinking of using the JBJ fittings but I am not sure which one. Maybe I am wrong in thinking that. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

kalare
02/20/2006, 12:31 PM
just drill a hole and put any fitting you want. It doesn't matter as long as you can attach a small hose or airline tube to it.

rutledgek
02/20/2006, 12:34 PM
But I dont want it to leak around the edges of the hole.

is this what I need

B. 1/4" to 1/4" Female Straight

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4481&N=2004+113776

kalare
02/20/2006, 01:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6784275#post6784275 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rutledgek
But I dont want it to leak around the edges of the hole.

is this what I need

B. 1/4" to 1/4" Female Straight

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4481&N=2004+113776

Use whatever you want. I would glue it in anyways since the cup is so thin you can't really thread it. Silicone it. Not that big a deal.

ggenz
02/20/2006, 01:54 PM
what do you think about the coralife superskimmer 65?

i am thinking about getting one

in the picture of the coralifes, they already have a drain, is that just the bigger ones or something

do you think i should get that skimmer?what size tank do you have it on?

do you like it? isit easy to use?

i know theres a lot of questions but your the fisrt person ive found that is actually runnning one

richard55
02/20/2006, 02:21 PM
I have the 65 on my 55 with a light bioload and it works great killer bubbles it does seem to be a bit touchy and can overfoam . The 65 does not have a drain but I have been thinking and have deceided to use a hot nail and push a hole through that is slightly smaller than ridged airline then get the hole hot with a lighter and push a piece of ridged airline through. when it is done I would be willing to bet that it is leak proof but may run a bit of glue around it just incase.

To answer your questions- I like it for the money it rocks, it is easy to use but the adjustment vavle blows there are several mods that can be found for the valve that look good I just have not tried. Mine is currently HOB but is soon going to my new sump.

rutledgek
02/20/2006, 03:12 PM
I have mine HOB. I like it. The problem I have had in the past is over foaming. It overflowed once and put water all over the floor. I had the adjustment knob all the way down and it was still overfoaming. On the output arm there is a hole where air is exchanged in some direction( I have no idea what direction.) I took a piece of airline tubing and placed it over this whole and then I turned the knob down all the way and used that to adjust the skimmer. I wanted to put a drain on my skimmer cup because when I feed the skimmer goes crazy.

ggenz
02/20/2006, 06:01 PM
is the 65 loud?

with the bubbles in the motor id imagine it would be but is it?

with the over foaming, is that water gushing everywhere or just the skimmate?

im assuming a drain would solve that problem?

ste6168
02/20/2006, 06:02 PM
hey if you want to wait till this weekend then i can take some pictures of my CSS 125 and show you how i added a fitting to drain and and "overflow" fitting on mine. The drain is uaually closed unless i want to drain the skimmer cup and then the overflow goes into a three liter bottle in case the collection cup gets too full.

davocean
02/20/2006, 06:17 PM
I really like my CSS220, very quiet, pulls out lots of funky stuff
Only complaint is overflowing wich can be dealt w/
Burning a hole scares me. If it melts too far, you're stuck.
You should wait for ste6168 to walk you through.
Also, in light/filtr forum theres about 5 pages of people w/ these
skimmers and I didn't find anyone bummed about them.
There were lots of mods mentioned too

rlschne
02/20/2006, 08:02 PM
I just drilled a hole in the cup and epoxied some airline tubing in place and ran it to a milk jug.... no biggie... although.... milk jugs can overflow too ;)

gdm42001
02/20/2006, 08:16 PM
I looked into the SuperSkimmer
They have Rio Pumps
That did it for me
Too bad, for a few more bucks they could put a decent pump on them.

ggenz
02/20/2006, 08:20 PM
coudnt you just change the pump?

gdm42001
02/20/2006, 08:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6788233#post6788233 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ggenz
coudnt you just change the pump?

Maybe if they offered different pump options, or the ability to order it without a pump. I do not want to pay for a RIO just to throw it away.
Even though they are not worth much, I still don't want to pay for it, have to remove it, and pay to dispose of it.

ggenz
02/20/2006, 08:29 PM
ohh well, id just take it off (IF it broke), and use it somewhere else, or store it, besides, if you DID take it off, you could probably put a bigger pump on there and make it a better overall skimmer

kalare
02/20/2006, 08:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6788329#post6788329 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ggenz
ohh well, id just take it off (IF it broke), and use it somewhere else, or store it, besides, if you DID take it off, you could probably put a bigger pump on there and make it a better overall skimmer

This would negate the good value of the skimmer. If you're willing to spend more money on a better pump, might as well just spend the whole package more and get a better skimmer, IMO. I have the 65, and they're decent for the price...it however does nowhere near as well as my ER skimmers and I doubt it would even with a better pump.

masterswimmer
02/20/2006, 08:36 PM
I have the CSS 65 as a HOT skimmer. I use it on my 16 gallon bow. I've made quite a few modifications to this skimmer to get it to work efficiently. It does now and I'm very happy with it.

The mod you asked for is easy. Here's the end result of my mod. If you want other 'progression' pix let me know.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/bronx_bombers/CSS%2065%20modification/5JGballvalveinskimmercloseup.jpg

masterswimmer
02/20/2006, 08:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6788391#post6788391 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kalare
This would negate the good value of the skimmer. If you're willing to spend more money on a better pump, might as well just spend the whole package more and get a better skimmer, IMO. I have the 65, and they're decent for the price...it however does nowhere near as well as my ER skimmers and I doubt it would even with a better pump.

The comparison of a CSS skimmer with a ER skimmer is absurd. The CSS does what I need it to do on a small tank, inexpensively. I have a LifeReef skimmer on my larger tank and wouldn't dream of comparing the two.

rutledgek
02/20/2006, 09:21 PM
if you have progression pictures that would be great. What do So that is how you empty it, but how do you handle overflow. Or do you leave it constantly open?

masterswimmer
02/20/2006, 09:25 PM
I leave it constantly open. I used a ball valve so when I clean it, I can detatch it from the rest of the overflow. Remember something very important. If you do this mod, you have to put some tape or silicone or something over the hole on the top of the collection cup.

Here's a few pix.

The bit I used:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/bronx_bombers/CSS%2065%20modification/drillbit.jpg

The brass plug I used to tap the threads into the cup:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/bronx_bombers/CSS%2065%20modification/squareheadplug.jpg

This pic shows a piece of round acrylic I practiced on. The final pic, as you saw above, was on the collection cup:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/bronx_bombers/CSS%2065%20modification/bitdrillingcup.jpg

Tapping the threads:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/bronx_bombers/CSS%2065%20modification/plugincollectioncup.jpg

Russ

masterswimmer
02/20/2006, 09:28 PM
I used the 90 degree elbow so the vinyl tubing wouldn't kink and clog the process:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/bronx_bombers/CSS%2065%20modification/ballvalveelbowincollectioncup.jpg

Shows the drain line going into the gallon jug. The short tubing is the vent. This pic shows why you have to cover the hole in the cup cover:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/bronx_bombers/CSS%2065%20modification/tubinginjugsideview.jpg

Russ

masterswimmer
02/20/2006, 09:30 PM
I used teflon tape to wrap the threads of the ball valve when I screwed it into the collection cup.

There are a few other mods that are very important to get this skimmer working right. I have pix of them as well if you'd like.

Russ

ggenz
02/20/2006, 09:41 PM
what are all of the other mods?

rutledgek
02/20/2006, 09:45 PM
Why does the whole need to be taped? Also What is the second hole in the top of the collection cup for?

masterswimmer
02/20/2006, 09:58 PM
The other critical mod is the elimination of the supplied 'bubble diffuser'. It's worthless IMO. It keeps the skimmer discharge tube much too low in the water column and causes backpressure on the skimmer itself. That's why people have reported them to leak.

I completely removed the factory supplied discharge and made my own from PVC.

Here's some pix. It should be self explanatory. If you have Q's, just ask.

I used all the following out of PVC: 'T', cap, 90 elbow and straight 1/2".

I primed and cemented everything together, except the 'T' that goes on the skimmer discharge. I left that unglued so I can remove it just in case it didn't work. Well it worked and didn't leak with it unglued, so it is still removeable.

This first pic shows it with all the holes drilled. I've since made each hole larger using a 1/8" bit. I drilled holes completely around the straight pvc as you can see:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/bronx_bombers/CSS%2065%20modification/PVC%20mods/pvc%20discharge%20mods/dischargepipewithholes.jpg

This shows the Mag 3 foam prefilter I used to cover the pvc. This became my bubble diffuser:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/bronx_bombers/CSS%2065%20modification/PVC%20mods/pvc%20discharge%20mods/foamhalfway.jpg

This just shows the foam as far on the PVC as possible. It covers part of the 90 elbow as well. It holds it in place perfectly:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/bronx_bombers/CSS%2065%20modification/PVC%20mods/pvc%20discharge%20mods/Foamondischarge.jpg

All together:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/bronx_bombers/CSS%2065%20modification/PVC%20mods/pvc%20discharge%20mods/Allmods.jpg

If you notice in the bottom pic, it also shows a piece of vinyl tubing sticking up from the top of the vent nipple on the discharge side of the skimmer. If there is any backpressure built up from detritus collecting in the foam it will force water out that little nipple. If you don't have the tubing on it, you could have that water all over the floor. With the tubing there, it gives you some advance warning that you need to clean the foam to relieve the backpressure. Just a precautionary alert for cleaning......from experience, I had the flood, you don't have to.

Russ

masterswimmer
02/20/2006, 10:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6789082#post6789082 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rutledgek
Why does the whole need to be taped? Also What is the second hole in the top of the collection cup for?

If you don't tape the hole then you're counting on gravity and pressure to drain the skimmate to the container you have the tubing connected to. Skimmate can get thick, and doesn't always flow as well as water does. If you cap all holes in the collection cup lid then the only hole to allow air into the system is down at your home made collection cup........the second short piece of vinyl tubing sticking up.

This second hole, draws air from the jug, whcih in turn draws air from the collection cup, which in turn draws the skimmate into the jug. Just remember to always check that your jug doesn't overfill and then start flooding from there. Mine is a one gallon jug. You could use an empty 5 gallon salt bucket if you want to. I would just rather not have that much stinky skimmate in my living room. One gallon is plenty. lol

Hope this helps.
Russ

masterswimmer
02/20/2006, 10:09 PM
I forgot to mention on my discharge mod >>>> the PVC cap needs a tiny hole drilled into it. I used a 1/32" bit to do that. This allows air to flow so you don't create a vacuum. Like turning a soda bottle upside down in a glass. It will only flow out without flooding until the pressure behind the liquid is less than the outside pressure.

Moral of this short story, just drill a small hole in the cap.

Russ

ggenz
02/20/2006, 10:12 PM
wouldnt that affect the skimmer action though, if the bubles are under pressure when they try to go up, making it harder for them to go up, or does it not make that much of a difference?

masterswimmer
02/20/2006, 10:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6789404#post6789404 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ggenz
wouldnt that affect the skimmer action though, if the bubles are under pressure when they try to go up, making it harder for them to go up, or does it not make that much of a difference?

It is a design flaw in the CSS 65 (might be for the 125 and 220, but I don't have those :D ). The tubing on the discharge that is provided by Coralife is too long. When you put the corrugated tubing that came with it into the plastic bubble diffuser and then submerge that whole contraption in your tank it causes so much backpressure that the discharge side leaks at two places.

The first leak Coralife fixed. The red knob on the discharge was originally made without any rubber gasket. It is now made with the gasket. So that stopped one of the leaks. The second leak is from the small plastic nipple I discussed in my post above. Basically anyplace for water to escape is a place for backpressure to release water. That nipple (it's just a hole) is where people report leaks all the time.

hth,
Russ

gdm42001
02/20/2006, 11:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6788410#post6788410 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by masterswimmer
I have the CSS 65 as a HOT skimmer. I use it on my 16 gallon bow. I've made quite a few modifications to this skimmer to get it to work efficiently. It does now and I'm very happy with it.

The mod you asked for is easy. Here's the end result of my mod. If you want other 'progression' pix let me know.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/bronx_bombers/CSS%2065%20modification/5JGballvalveinskimmercloseup.jpg

I just dont want to spend hours making an inexpensive skimmer skim like an expensive one. My wife likes to remind me of how much I make an hour, and if it is worth it for me to spend 16 hours to save 20 bucks on a piece of equip. (she has watched me do this in the past.)

kalare
02/20/2006, 11:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6788456#post6788456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by masterswimmer
The comparison of a CSS skimmer with a ER skimmer is absurd. The CSS does what I need it to do on a small tank, inexpensively. I have a LifeReef skimmer on my larger tank and wouldn't dream of comparing the two.

It is not when taking into account the question asked. If you are considering upgrading pumps to another needle wheel, options are limited. Cheapest ones out there are most likely ocean runner, and they run about 50 cheapest. That turns this into a 150 skimmer and at 199, an ASM or "dent/kock" ER can be had. Not too far off. My point is to use the skimmer as is and not upgrade the pump unless it fails.

As to spending 16 hours on the mods that have been illustrated here, I doubt you'd spend more than 1 hour max...unless home depot is not close to your home. As far as buying a bit to tap the cup, i would suggest saving the money and just using some glue or silicone to permanently stick it in with less risk of breaking the cup. You're never going to take it out anways.

masterswimmer
02/20/2006, 11:32 PM
kalare,

1/4" square head brass plug (for tapping the thread) $.96 :

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/brass.html

Worth it in my opinion.

As far as anyone upgrading from a CSS 65 to a ER.....I don't think they would have been in the CSS category in the first place if cost/efficiency wasn't a factor. Similar to asking the price of the Corvette, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

My mods taking 16 hours? Obviously you're just making an 'impact statement' so I shouldn't even go there, but, if it took anyone 16 hours to drill those holes then they probably aren't in this heavily laden DIY hobby anyway. The most time consuming step was drilling all the holes in the one piece of PVC. Took about 20 minutes.

Russ

davocean
02/21/2006, 12:05 AM
The skimmer works real nice out of the box, Masterswimmer just
did an excellent job fine tuning and taking a couple bugs out
Minor things really
Seems every skimmer has it's drawback, adjust, loud, leaks(asm)
or expensive.
This skimmer is totally worth the price
On lighting and filtration forum I found 5 pages of reefers happy with theirs, that sold me
Masterswimmer, thanks for the mods

masterswimmer
02/21/2006, 12:44 AM
davocean, you're very welcome. It happens to be a really effective skimmer for the price. I've been in touch with Coralife R & D very closely. They are working on improvements. Hence the O-ring on the red knob.

And like you said, it was very good right out of the box. I tweaked for longer times between maintenance.

Russ

kalare
02/21/2006, 01:56 AM
"kalare,

1/4" square head brass plug (for tapping the thread) $.96 :

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/brass.html

Worth it in my opinion."

Ok, go for it then, opinions are not to be argues, i was simply stating my opinion, let's not fight...

"As far as anyone upgrading from a CSS 65 to a ER.....I don't think they would have been in the CSS category in the first place if cost/efficiency wasn't a factor. Similar to asking the price of the Corvette, if you have to ask, you can't afford it."

Again, I was responding to the post about getting a new pump. Look at the prices, and then ask yourself it that's worth it, that's the situation i believe warrants a different skimmer. You're arguing with me and I agree with you...read my posts.

"My mods taking 16 hours? Obviously you're just making an 'impact statement' so I shouldn't even go there, but, if it took anyone 16 hours to drill those holes then they probably aren't in this heavily laden DIY hobby anyway. The most time consuming step was drilling all the holes in the one piece of PVC. Took about 20 minutes.

Russ"

AGAIN...I was responding to another post made by someone saying they didn't want to spend 16 hours doing mods. Then you attacked me when I basically said what you just said...probably didn't take you that long. Please do not presume I am attacking you without reading. I hope I made myself clear...but you should calm down.

My goodness, not everything on this board is a personal attack...

RandyStacyE
02/21/2006, 10:31 AM
One question, I've noticed in all advertisements for the Coralife skimmer they say it comes with some sort of inlet silencer. Is that silencer just a hollow container with an inlet and an outlet tube?

masterswimmer
02/21/2006, 05:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6792129#post6792129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RandyStacyE
One question, I've noticed in all advertisements for the Coralife skimmer they say it comes with some sort of inlet silencer. Is that silencer just a hollow container with an inlet and an outlet tube?

It is possible that it is what you describe. The silencer gets connected to a vinyl tube that comes from the venturi on the pump. I've never taken it apart so I don't know exactly what's inside.

Russ

RandyStacyE
02/21/2006, 05:58 PM
I'm just curious as to whether it is just a small canister filled with cotton or poly something or other - or - is it something special. Do they work, free-flow or restrict the venturi in any way?

masterswimmer
02/21/2006, 08:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6795269#post6795269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RandyStacyE
I'm just curious as to whether it is just a small canister filled with cotton or poly something or other - or - is it something special. Do they work, free-flow or restrict the venturi in any way?

I couldn't say if they're filled with anything. I haven't dissected it. What I can tell you is that I don't believe it restricts the venturi in any way. I can say this with confidence because I did hold my finger over the uncovered hole on the silencer and it did block the venturi so that no bubbles were produced. But that makes total sense. It should work that way.

Russ

kalare
02/21/2006, 08:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6796297#post6796297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by masterswimmer
I couldn't say if they're filled with anything. I haven't dissected it. What I can tell you is that I don't believe it restricts the venturi in any way. I can say this with confidence because I did hold my finger over the uncovered hole on the silencer and it did block the venturi so that no bubbles were produced. But that makes total sense. It should work that way.

Russ

That doesn't mean it doesn't restrict flow. The analogy would be putting a ball valve on a pump inlet and closing it half way and then saying when you put your hand over the ball valve inlet the pump stops pumping water. It could restrict flow, you finger just totally cuts it off.

That being said, I think it's a hollow canister, but it doesn't really matter, try it with and without if you think it restricts flow and see which config. you like better.

masterswimmer
02/21/2006, 08:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6796468#post6796468 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kalare
That doesn't mean it doesn't restrict flow. The analogy would be putting a ball valve on a pump inlet and closing it half way and then saying when you put your hand over the ball valve inlet the pump stops pumping water. It could restrict flow, you finger just totally cuts it off.

That being said, I think it's a hollow canister, but it doesn't really matter, try it with and without if you think it restricts flow and see which config. you like better.

Very true indeed. As stated, try both ways, too simple not to.

Russ

RandyStacyE
02/21/2006, 09:33 PM
I've just seen pictures and was curious as to what it was. Most so called venturi silencers are just hollow capsules filled with poly crap to muzzle the sound and restricts the air a bit. Just wondered if they incorporated something new.

masterswimmer
04/03/2006, 09:25 PM
Bump for the current round of CSS buyers.

Russ

GoblinFish
04/04/2006, 12:09 AM
I got a CSS 65 about 10 days ago and im still having problems... I tried almost every mod i saw on these forums but i still get mico bubbles in my display tank. I currently have it hanging on the tank because i dont have enough head room in my sump for the skimmer to fit.

Can anyone help me with this or show me some other mod in order to have these damn bubbles go into my tank??

Thank you!

masterswimmer
04/04/2006, 01:11 AM
Did you do the Mag 3 foam prefilter on the discharge like I explained?

master

GoblinFish
04/04/2006, 01:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7107152#post7107152 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by masterswimmer
Did you do the Mag 3 foam prefilter on the discharge like I explained?

master

Yes i tried that too but was still getting some mico bubbles going through the Mag Sponge.

I am now trying this:

http://www.lethal-industry.com/tank/work%20station%20008.jpg
http://www.lethal-industry.com/tank/work%20station%20011.jpg

but the bubble amount in the tank just got worst!!

masterswimmer
04/04/2006, 03:44 PM
GoblinFish, I would expect it to get worse. That's the stock 'bubble diffuser' that came with the CSS. I don't like it at all.

master

dogman
06/18/2006, 11:14 AM
Masterswimmer, I may go ahead and do your diff mod. What size tee are you using as I have the 125 and if I cut off all the corregated tubing the amount of plastic left just in front of the nipple is about 1-3/8 in diameter, I assume the tee fits over this. I hope I explained well. Thank You.

ps : IMO we should not have to do any mods if the manu. would test these in real world situations for a reasonable amount of time.

masterswimmer
06/18/2006, 11:20 AM
dogman, what I did was take the corrugated tubing with me to HD. I matched a piece of pvc to fit inside it (to replicate the discharge from the skimmer). Once I found the right diameter pvc, I then used that pvc to fit the proper size 'T'.

I hope that was clear. Could get confusing.

I agree with the mfg incorporating these 'real life' mods into their finished product. It did require me to use much too many mods to make this skimmer adequate.

swimmer

dogman
06/18/2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks, I see you have the tee fitting inside the output tubing. Do you have the tubing from the nipple(on the output tube) going to the air- inlet silencer? It looks like this tube just sticks up in the air about 6in. see post above.

Btw on my PS I meant that, they do proper testing even before mods are needed by us.

dogman
06/18/2006, 11:43 AM
Sorry, See post 2/21/06 at 2:58am.

masterswimmer
06/18/2006, 07:43 PM
Hey dog,
My 'T' fitting goes OVER the skimmer discharge, not into it. The last thing I wanted to do was restrict the discharge by narrowing the diameter of the discharge, creating more backpressure.

I do not have the vinyl tubing on that nipple going anywhere. It is just an early warning device to indicate when the foam needs cleaning. When the foam clogs up, it creates backpressure. That nipple is the backpressure release. Water will come out of there and it drips to the floor. I put the tubing there just to 'warn' me to clean the foam.

I am thinking about running the vinyl tubing from the collection cup cap (where the vent hole is. I currently have that scotch taped closed) to the venturi in place of the silencer tubing.

swimmer