PDA

View Full Version : goodbye gorilla crab!

sandlot13
02/19/2006, 08:21 PM
hahahaha, wow, that was the greatest thing ive seen in a long time...... i recently just bought a nice rock with about 25 polyps of acan lords from my LFS for about 35 bucks....... i thought it was a great deal.

Well, ask luck has it, when you get lucky on price, usually something tries to get back at you. I noticed a crab arm sticking out from the bottom of the rock a day or so after getting it in my tank. I monitored it, thinking that it was just one of my emerald crabs crawling under it. Well, a few hours ago, i saw it again, but saw the distinct claw of a gorilla crab hitchiker poking out...... what horrible luck, right? WRONG! ;) Thats just another meal for my mantis shrimp, J.R. (jack the ripper).

I pulled out the frag, placed it in a container and proceeded to pester the gorilla crab's legs that were sticking out of a crevas it had barracaded itself in. After pulling off one of its legs, i figured id take a different approach....... wait him out. Welp, just like an ADD kid, the crab was out within a minute, scrambling around the container trying to find a new hiding spot. I jumped back into action, took a pair of tweezers, and dropped the gorilla crab (named south paw for the lack of his right arm) into the feeding hole of JR's tank.

JR had been out and about, prowling around his sanctuary (im assuming he was REALLY hungry cause I hadnt fed him in a few days) Well, as the southpaw was floating down to the substrate, JR spotted him like a fat kid can see the dessert table at a buffet. Within 10 seconds, JR had crossed the open area and jumped on the crab, no hesitation whatsoever. My buddy and me watched as JR dropped a solid 8 punch combo (with multiple right hooks and left jabs) right on the pathetic armor of the southpaw before he even lifted a claw...... well, before he even lifted his only claw. It took a few more swift blows before the crab was done, going limp with the vigorous beating he was taking. Once JR realized this, he gave him a quick once over, tasting his victory, then grabbed up his dinner and swam away with it back to his bunker...........

lets just say, i wish i would have waited till my roommate had come home with his camera tomorrow, but there was no way i could hold back......... JR is currently using his culinary techniques to render a solid dinner for himself. Figured i would just let everyone know about these recent events of pure mantis awesomeness.

tanner g.

Brandon's Reef
02/19/2006, 10:02 PM
can you post pics of the Mantis SHRINE if it isnt too much to ask and are you using crushed coral or agragonite sand? I want a Mantis as well to feed those pesky crabs at work too Im so excited!
Sounds like you and J.R. both love feeding time!

sandlot13
02/19/2006, 10:07 PM
ill try to get some pictures up soon..... when my roommate gets back with the digi camera (ya, i dont have one, kinda blows). ;) thanks for the reply

backlash
02/19/2006, 11:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6780064#post6780064 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sandlot13
JR spotted him like a fat kid can see the dessert table at a buffet.

tanner g.
LOL:lol:

olivia640
02/20/2006, 01:55 AM
That sounds really cool! It's amazing how entertaining mantis shrimp can be.
I've been thinking about getting some emerald crabs for my mantis to play with, the little hermit crabs in his tank aren't much fun. They don't get the kind of beat down a larger crab would get.

dead beat reef
02/24/2006, 11:59 PM
Yes the sound of a mantis strike is sweet chin music. Smackdown.
H.B.K. G.F.I. dbr