PDA

View Full Version : I need some sump advise

tsaldutte
02/19/2006, 10:01 AM
Hi,

I am planning on switching the filtration system on my 20g high mini reef. Currently I am running a Mag 350 (yes I know they suck, but hey, it was free) and a SeaClone 100. I am planning on swicthing to a All-Glass MegaFlow #1 (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13648&N=2004+22778) and using one of these (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3642&N=2004+22778) overflows because they are very slim inside the tank. What my question is what kind of flow and turnover rate should I be looking for, and what kind of pump should I use? Also do you recommend and other types of sumps, wet/drys, or overflows? I know I can do a DIY but I am not they greatest at bulding things that hold water yet, so yeah.

Thank you for your help!

Tony

Ereefic
02/19/2006, 10:23 AM
You could build a sump out of a glass tank and some glass pieces from a local glass shop, silicone them in for a fraction of the cost of the unit your looking at. Very simple to do and will save you a ton of money.

I do not like those overflows as they depend on a pump to keep the syphon going. Power goes out and the pump fails, you have a flood. Many people use them and don't have problems, many people do have problems. The u-tube style don't rely on any other equipment to keep the syphon, but are more bulky than the one your looking at. I've used the u-tube style for a couple of years and never had a problem. You do need to run enough water threw them so bubble don't accumulate in the u-tube though.

Nothing wrong with Mag pumps either, i've used many with no problems.

rpeeples
02/19/2006, 11:08 AM
I am getting ready to prepare a similar setup. I spoke to Marine Depot at length regarding the use of the overflow box.

Yes overflow can be a problem but not as bad is might think if power goes out.

Basic understanding is you want a higher inflow rate than return, if not this may potential cause overflow problems.

Also, you want to be sure your Sump can handle any overflow in case of a power outgage...meaning if the overflow box is an inch below your water line, the most it could ever overflow, if your return pump quite working, is 1 inch of water from your main tank.

Once I have my setup in place I will share some pics and experience.

rpeeples
02/19/2006, 11:31 AM
Continuous Siphon Overflow
To place your overflow into operation:

Before using the overflow for the first time, it is important to decide where to position the unit. It is best to have the overflow as far away from the inflow as possible to reduce turbulence. It is also important to check the capacity of your sump as well as the flow rate of your return pump on your filtration system to prevent possible overflow. It will be necessary to add water to the system after it begins running. The amount of water that you will need to add will depend on the sump size and design.
Assemble the bulkhead fitting as shown in the diagram on your instructions. Insert the pre-filter screen into the bulkhead and place the pre-filter sponge over the screen. Insert the vent tube into the hole at the top of the pre filter screen. The "O-ring" can slide up or down to adjust the height of the vent tube once the unit is operational.
Connect the bulkhead to the hose going into your filtration system. You should use PVC tubing inserted into the bulkhead. The PVC can be run directly into the filter or can be attached to flexible line using fittings. The fewer bends in the line, the quieter the siphon will operate. To prevent leaking from where the PVC inserts into the bulkhead, you should use PVC cement to secure it into place (this, however, will make the connection permanent).
Place the unit on the edge of your tank and allow the water to fill the front chamber. Adjust the lower adjustment screws so that the unit is parallel to the back of the tank.
Adjust the height of the unit with the two top adjustment screws so the water level is about 1/4" above the edge of the front chamber. Make sure that the overflow is level with the water surface, not necessarily the tank, as some tanks may not be perfectly level. If you have small fish, adjust the fish screen so that the fish cannot enter the overflow.
Using a container of water from your aquarium, fill the narrow chamber in the back of the overflow to the top. To start and maintain the siphon overflow, draw the air out through the nipple on top of the overflow by one of the following methods: a Venturi powerhead, plugging the air nipple, or gravity siphon.
When you initially start the siphon overflow, it will drain water from your aquarium down to the level of the front edge of the overflow box. The sump part of the filter should begin to fill with water. It may be necessary to add water to the sump if the return pump is not completely submerged. Make sure that the return hose is firmly attached to the return pump before plugging in the pump.
Plug in the return pump. Keep an eye on the water level in the tank to make sure the overflow starts its siphon. Water should start draining down the overflow. At this point, direct your attention to the sump to make sure the return pump is still completely submerged, or that the sump is not overflowing. It may be necessary to add or remove water from the sump at this point. Continue to monitor both the tank and the sump for a few minutes to ensure that the system is working consistently.
The water level in the aquarium can be adjusted by using the two top adjustment screws on the overflow. This is usually necessary once the overflow has been operational for a few minutes. By lowering the water level in the aquarium, you will raise the level in the sump and possibly overflow it. By raising the water level in the aquarium, you will lower the water level in the sump and the return pump could possibly burn out if not completely submerged. Add or remove water as needed.
At certain flow rates, there will be a flushing noise coming from the overflow. This noise is caused by air trying to escape back up through the bulkhead while the water is going down. The enclosed vent tube will help reduce the level of noise. Place the tube through the small hole in the pre-filter screen and adjust it up or down until you find the point where the noise is reduced the most. Slide the small "O-ring" down until it reaches the pre-filter screen, securing the position of the vent tube.
Your overflow will then be in operation.

Item# Area
Behind
Tank Bulkhead
Size # of
Bulkheads # of
Sponges Gallons
Per
Hour
790065 4-1/2" 3/4" 1 1 300
790078 5" 1" 1 1 600
790091 5" 1" 1 1 800
790104 5" 1" 2 2 1200
790117 6" 1-1/2" 1 none 1600

jerry11901
02/19/2006, 12:51 PM
Sorry for cutting in but my some one advice me where to place mag9 pump, in side the sump or outside?

paulhines
02/19/2006, 01:12 PM
Outside if you can (potential leak problems that can be solved), inside if you have to (extra heat added to tank).

tsaldutte
02/19/2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the help! Can some one guide me where I can find some help or plans on building my own sump?

Thank you!

sjm817
02/19/2006, 02:49 PM
Couple of points:
Dont use a CPR overflow. Get a U Tube based one instead.
Mag3 pump is actually a good pump for that setup (29G).
You can easily build your own sump using an aquarium as a base and add some baffles.