PDA

View Full Version : Planning upgrade from 55 to 125.

silkchaos
02/17/2006, 07:57 PM
Alright.. Just like a bunch of other people, I am working on upgrading the tank. My current plan is to pickup a 100 gallon rubbermaid tub from the farm and tractor store for a sump.

Question 1: Anyone else using these?
Question 2: Any concerns/Problems with using these?

In order to move everything, I plan on filling the 100 gallon tub, and moving everything into it in the basement (getting temp up, and ph identical) the same with 40 gallons of water, then filling with water from tank. The corals and fish will go in there, with the MH's over top.

Question3: Anyone see a problem with this?

Then we will be painting the room the tank is going in, putting in the plumbing from sump to living room. The 125 will be set up. Then we will be filling the tank, and getting water up to temp/ph. Then moving everything up from the tub in the basement.

Question 4: Any problems seen here?

Also need suggestions for return pump from basement.

I appreciate everyone's input.

75galreef
02/17/2006, 08:46 PM
Sounds like you have everything covered, but how long are you planing on keeping them in the tub? You will need a filter of some sort, heater, water movement, ect.... But I am running a 100 gallon tub as well. Can be a little tricky if you want to section it off though, but holds alot of water for a sump. As your move, I just did something simalar. I upgraded to a 120( Thanks again Kent ), and I had a 2 - 50 gallon tubs already running/cycling water. Moved the entire contents of my 75 into the 100 gallon tub, set the new tank up, and moved everything back. The extra 100 gallons cycling gave me 50+ gallons to start the sump up.

silkchaos
02/17/2006, 09:03 PM
I figure on running my skimmer and mj1200s for water movement in the tub. Everythign will probably be in there for a week or so (between the painting the living room, and getting everything else set up (plumbing wise).

I have been trying to figure out how to section it to help minimize micro-bubbles from teh skimmer getting into the tank. How did you address that?

75galreef
02/17/2006, 09:18 PM
Well I did not actually run my system that long outside the tank, I got everything set up, and did my tank transfer in 1 night. I started at 6 pm and finished around 2 am. So I only had to really worry about the 100 gallon tub for 8 hours. A heater and 2 power heads keep the flow as I moved everything.

silkchaos
02/17/2006, 09:24 PM
Do you use the 100 gallon tub as a sump now?

bosborn1
02/17/2006, 09:37 PM
I use the 100 gal agtainer as a Sump. I have mine sectioned off for a fuge. I also have a smaller 50 gal that will be my frag tank. I am also getting another one for a grow out tank.....If you haven't noticed I love these containers. I use a Little Giant 4-mdsc for the return to me 180. I will be drilling two more hole in the 100 gal for anothe Little Giant. This one will drive my skimmer as I want to get the mag out of my sump. The second one will also be a little giant which will feed the other 2 containers. Also I recommend Blueline pumps.They seem to be pretty good.

Scott

75galreef
02/17/2006, 10:12 PM
yes, once everything was transfered over to the larger tank, I moved the tub to the basement and it is now my sump, I would like info on getting partitioned off into a couple different sections. If anyone has a pattern, it would be greatly appreciated.

silkchaos
02/17/2006, 10:32 PM
bosborn1 - How did you section yours off?