PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Diatom filtration

mdiddy7s
02/17/2006, 07:01 PM
I am looking for any additional info into the diatom filters. Likes/dislikes, pros/cons, etc. Please feel free to share openly and as detailed as you like.
Thanks,
Mike D

dugg
02/17/2006, 11:38 PM
Why would you want to filter diatoms??????? They are the food that your corals feed on. I add silcates to my tank to encourage diatom growth, and i am having outstanding results in coral growth and coloration. Not one bad thing has happened yet.

mdiddy7s
02/18/2006, 10:37 AM
It is not for a reef tank. It is for a tank that has the artificial corals that are made of a heavy rubber/plastic material (FO tank). One of the managers of the facility wanted me to ask around about it. I am not a big fan of the idea because of the need to backwash and replace the media fairly regularly.
Mike D

dugg
02/18/2006, 02:42 PM
I am not really familiar with how the diatom filter you are talking about works. I never seen one before, but in general, i don't care for any type of mechanical filters. Of coarse i have a reef and not a FO. For a FO tank, i suppose they would be ok. Do you have a link to where we can see one? I would think that a strong current and a filter sock would be just as good, unless these things are really something special.

mdiddy7s
02/18/2006, 06:05 PM
http://www.aquatichouse.com/FILTRATION%20MENU_files/vortexd1.asp

Here is one. I don't know if it is a good one b/c I don't know much about them.
Mike D

Russ Braaten
02/20/2006, 12:56 AM
Mike, I used diatom filters a lot in the days of undergravel filters with powerheads. They do a great job of clarifying the water unless you screw up and shoot the diatomacious(sp) earth all over the tank. It instantly turns white.

What I really liked them for was to run on tanks that had medication in them (added carbon too) or after a big UG filter cleaning. I never ran them on e 24/7 basis except in the local swimming pool. It did a great job clearing the pool too but was a mess to deak with.

If I had one now, I would use it occasionally or inline while I was sucking junk off the rock or to skim off the ditrius that laid on the top of the sand. OR if I had an algea bloom.

ZC
02/20/2006, 01:15 AM
I have used them on an old cichlid tank, never on a SW tank, but they did a great job on clearing up and cleaning the water so to speak. Kinda expensive though, and they clogg up very easily!

Really not worth the money IMO, but i guess if the water is bad enough then it may be worth the money!