PDA

View Full Version : Fans

Rossini
02/17/2006, 08:03 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIX-Fish-Reef-Aquarium-Marine-Fresh-DC-Cooling-FAN_W0QQitemZ7743945758QQcategoryZ20755QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Would one of these be any good under a hood,to cool my tank in the summer. I have 4 T-5 mounted in my wooden hood.

I'm thinking that because they will be mounted under my hood they are just going to be moving the air around not blowing new fresh air?

I'm not sure. I know they would fit well. But will they work?

Any advice from you guys would be great.

Thanks

Bojan
02/17/2006, 08:58 AM
I do not have experience with exactly this system, but I know that such fan systems are very effective to cool tanks in the summer, but also evaporation is significantly increased.

dark_stranger
02/17/2006, 10:07 AM
You will find that they will cool down your tank in the summer when its hot outside and in the winter when its hot inside. I have a 6" fan set up on my tank attached to a reverse thermostate that turns on the fan when the water gets to hot. It cools the tank down nicely.

Rossini
02/20/2006, 05:32 AM
Thanks guys.

Will it still work properly if its mounted inside my hood?

dark_stranger
02/20/2006, 06:11 AM
If its in your hood you have got to remember that it will only be moving around the air contained within the hood, ie. hot air, whereas if your tank was hoodless...

Rossini
02/20/2006, 08:02 AM
Thats what i was thinking. It has got two vents with grills.

Do you think it wont cool the tank then?

dark_stranger
02/20/2006, 08:08 AM
If the hood is ventilated I dont see why not. Only putting theory in to practise will you find out.

On another matter, if you are looking for a more UK based forum try www.reefpark.net

Mods: I hope you dont mind advising this member of a more local site to his location.

Enjoy,

Stuart